The 16th branch is responsible for the region of Conomi Islands, which is where Cocoyasi Village, Nami's home village, is situated. It was also responsible for turning a blind eye on the activities of the Arlong Pirates and their tyrannical reign on Cocoyasi, thanks to Arlong's monthly bribes.
As part of Arlong's scheme to keep Nami under his power once more, he tipped off Nezumi about the money Nami had gathered to buy her village from him, allowing the Marine Captain to confiscate all 93,000,000 that Nami kept buried near her house.
Nezumi later attempted to claim Arlong's treasure after the Straw Hat Pirates defeated the fish-men crew, but was beaten up and then forced by Nami to return the money he had previously confiscated. Humiliated and injured, Nezumi furiously retreated to this base to report Monkey D. Luffy as a pirate to the Marine Headquarters.
Manga and Anime Differences
- In the anime, the 16th Branch makes a quick cameo in Episode 490, when the Marines all over the world are celebrating their victory over the Whitebeard Pirates and the deaths of Portgas D. Ace and Whitebeard.
- The 16th branch commander's code to the headquarters is 00733.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 11 Chapter 94 and Episode 43, The 16th Branch is introduced.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 8 Chapter 69 (p. 12-16) and Episode 31.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 9 Chapter 80 (p. 6-15) and Episodes 36–37.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 11 Chapter 94 (p. 16) and Episode 43, Nezumi says his Marine code on the Den Den Mushi.