|The following article has no references to the official sources.|
An archaeologist, or scholar, is a particular type of historian who ventures out into the field to find ancient ruins and study them first-hand. They are interested in the cultures of lost civilizations.
Role and Duties
Archaeologists work to uncover things lost beneath the earth over time, and are eager to make new discoveries about the past. Archaeologists serve a most invaluable role of piecing together the development of countries, people, and cultures. Because of the knowledge necessary to perform this job, archaeologists are required to pass a doctoral exam before they can be recognized as such, receiving a medal as proof of certification.
Archaeologists are not essential to a pirate crew; very few crews are known to have an archaeologist crewmate. However, they are far from useless since their knowledge and experience makes treasure hunting in ancient ruins easier. For example Robin discovered where the "Lost City of Gold" was in one day, something that took Enel a long time to accomplish.
However, in the New World, archaeologists with the ability to read the Poneglyphs are considered highly valuable. With their ability, the Road Poneglyphs can be deciphered, thus enabling the crew(s) to find four certain islands, which in turn leads to the legendary island of Laugh Tale. As such there is a possibility of any archaeologist with this ability to be subjected to kidnapping attempts by powerful pirates.
|Nico Robin||Clover †||Nico Olvia †||Rint †||Zadie †|
|Roche †||Busshiri †||Hack †||Hocha †||Gram †|
- †: the character is deceased.
- *: the character's status is unknown, or show additional information. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
- ≠: the character is non-canon.
- ‡: the character is no longer part of this group. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
Void Century Censorship
The World Government does not mind archaeology taking place. However, should any archaeologist (or any person at all) research the Void Century or the Poneglyphs, they risk being imprisoned or killed, and if not captured, a very high bounty may be placed on their head.
Ohara boasted the most famous archaeologists in the world, and their Tree of Knowledge held the history of countries from around the world. However, they were eventually destroyed when the World Government found out they were researching forbidden histories; all save Nico Robin, who had a bounty put on her head as a result of her escape from death, were killed.
Most people in One Piece seem uninterested in the past and are unaware of the Void Century. Archaeologists are not completely scorned by people (unless they research the forbidden histories, then they are considered evil) around the world. However, due to the Ohara incident there appears to be few archaeologists left.
Demons of Ohara
The Demons of Ohara (オハラの悪魔達 Ohara no Akuma-tachi?) is a political term for a group of scholars and archaeologists, formerly known as the Ohara Archaeologists (オハラの考古学者たち Ohara no Kōkogakusha-tachi?), who resided on the island of Ohara in West Blue. These scholars dedicated themselves to the study of the past, something the World Government was uneasy about but tolerated so long as no research was conducted on the Void Century and the Poneglyphs that held its secrets. They were called "demons" by the World Government for daring to study the forbidden history, which, by Government regulations, is capable of world destruction.
Twenty-eight years ago, Nico Olvia and thirty-two other scholars set out on a journey to study the Poneglyphs and learn more about the Void Century. However, after six years, the expedition was discovered by the Marines and all but Olvia were killed. Knowing that the World Government would link the expedition back to Ohara, Olvia returned to try and warn the other scholars but was ultimately too late.
After discovering Nico Olvia and numerous other Ohara scholars on their six year journey to research the Poneglyphs, the World Government concluded that it was too risky to allow the archaeologists of Ohara as a whole remain and a Buster Call was initiated. In order to preserve their reputation, the World Government spreaded the lie that the archaeologists of Ohara were attempting to revive the ancient weapons of mass destruction: Pluton, Poseidon and Uranus, earning the archaeologists the nickname the "Demons of Ohara" and the resentment of the world.
This term has led to a hard life for Nico Robin, the only known survivor of the archaeologists of Ohara, who for that simple reason is hated and feared by nearly all who meet her. Her nickname, the "Demon Child", even stems from her association with the archaeologists.
- Although he's not an Archaeologist, Marshall D. Teach appears to have an interest in the subject, as Archaeology has been stated to be one of his hobbies and the most likely career Teach would follow if he lived in the real world.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 41 Chapter 392 (p. 2) and Episode 275, Robin is said to have passed a scholarship exam.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 82 Chapter 818 (p. 4-11) and Episode 275, The value of archaeologists in the New World.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 41 Chapter 391 (p. 13) and Episode 275, Ohara is introduced.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 41 Chapter 397 and Episode 278, Ohara is obliterated.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 41 Chapter 391 (p. 19), The Ohara Archaeologists are introduced.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 41 Chapter 394 and Episode 276, the World Government calls the Ohara scholars "demons".
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 41 Chapter 393 (p. 4-5, 9-11) and Episode 276, Olvia's expedition is spoken of and she returns to Ohara.
- SBS One Piece Manga — Vol. 88 (p. 78), First fan question: If the Worst Generation rookies had to work in the real world, what would their jobs be? Second fan question: Hello [in English] Odacchi! In volume 56, you told us what countries the Straw Hats would come from, but I want you tell us which countries the Supernovas would come from too!!!! If Odacchi is nice, won't you tell us!? (Expectant)
- SBS One Piece Manga — Vol. 82 (p. 46), Fan question: Oda-sensei! I know this is quite sudden, but please reveal the hobbies of the members of "The Worst Generation"!