- "Ato" comes from Āto, the Japanese way of pronouncing the word "art".
- In the Viz Manga and FUNimation adaptations, it is called the Art-Art Fruit.
Strengths and Weaknesses
The main strength of this fruit's power is that it allows the user to transform any target into an abstract art, distorting it in both appearance and usage. This is accomplished by the user creating a thought cloud, and then tossing it at the target, causing it to distort. Any weapons or vehicles warped by this power loses its functionality; even natural weapons such as hooves and antlers are turned useless. She is also able to revert the object back to its normal state through the same method.
If the user is rendered unconscious, such as through injury, all the abstractions created by the fruit's power are neutralized, and return to normal. Other than that, this fruit is weak to the standard Devil Fruit weaknesses.
Giolla's main use of her power is distorting and transforming her enemies' bodies and equipment into abstract works of art, making them useless and preventing them from being used against her. By applying it to a ship, she effectively disables it as an escape option.
- Broken-Fu Art (ブロークンフ・アート Burōkunfu Āto?): Giolla releases a forward wave of cloud at her target, distorting its shape and functionality. This is called Blow Kung-Fu Art in the Viz Manga and FUNimation adaptations.
- Dying Art (
命の芸術Daiingu Āto?, literally meaning "Art of Life"): Giolla traps her victims within a large mural, where they will lose their lives but be immortalized in her art. It is similar to Galdino's Giant Candle Service Set in that it sacrifices people's lives to create art. In the anime, it is black and white and slowly absorbs the targets into the painting. It was used against Nami, Brook, Chopper, and Momonosuke.
- Heaven's Do Art (ヘブンズ・ド・アート Hebunzu Do Āto?): Giolla uses her power to create a pocket dimension totally invisible to the outside world, trapping her foes within. She can manipulate anything in this dimension that is not drawn into it. She was seen to grow to a giant size and become a piece of abstract art herself, as well as absorb enemy attacks and turn them into art. However, the dimension can be shattered via sheer force, as the Gaon Cannon managed to break its walls. This attack's name is a play on the words "Heaven's Door". It is called Heavan's Door Art in the FUNimation dub.
- The transformations used against Brook, Nami, Chopper and Momonosuke are inspired by famous painters or distinctive styles and themes.
- Brook's transformation resembles The Scream.
- The transformations of Nami and Momonosuke carry Picasso's distinct style.
- Chopper was transformed into cubist art.
- Momonosuke's head looks like a peach, fitting his theme.
- The clock on Nami's transformed Sorcery Clima-Tact comes from Dalí's work, The Persistence of Memory.
- In the anime, the art created by the fruit returns to normal in a cloud of smoke, rather than seeming to fade or be rinsed away as seen in the manga.
- This fruit is similar to Kanjuro's Devil Fruit, as they both revolve around art. They function very differently, however, as the Ato Ato no Mi is primarily used to transform tridimensional objects into two-dimensional art pieces, while Kanjuro's Devil Fruit does the opposite.
- Pablo Picasso – Wikipedia article on the Spanish painter.
- Salvador Dalí – Wikipedia article on the Catalan painter.
- Edvard Munch – Wikipedia article on the Norwegian painter.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 72 Chapter 714 and Episode 644, Giolla transforms Nami, Chopper, Brook, Momonosuke, and the Thousand Sunny into toys.
- One Piece Anime — Episode 635, the scene where the Sunny protection team hears a voice from inside the ship is extended to show the men's dormitory as art.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 72 Chapter 718 (p. 13) and Episode 646, Giolla reveals the name of her fruit.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 72 Chapter 718 and Episode 648.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 73 Chapter 722 and Episode 653.
- One Piece Anime — Episode 653, Giolla using Heaven's Do Art after Brook slices her.