The power of the fruit was hinted at with the state of the site where Roshio was defeated. The fruit's actual power was revealed when Bellamy and his crew attacked the leaders of the Saruyama Alliance in order to steal Mont Blanc Cricket's gold.
- "Bane" means "spring" in Japanese.
- It was originally called the Boing-Boing Fruit in the Viz Manga, the sound effect that springs make. They later called it the Spring-Spring Fruit.
- It is called the Spring-Spring Fruit in the FUNimation dub.
Strengths and Weaknesses
The major strength of the fruit is that it gives its user the ability to transform parts of his body into springs. By applying this to the legs, it grants the user amazing jumping and bouncing power, which can be used to launch himself at incredible speeds, in order to deliver attacks enhanced by a high magnitude of momentum.
Due to the reactive force of bouncing off a solid surface, the user can break apart said surfaces, as the Going Merry was split in half as a result. By applying this ability to other portions of the body, such as the arms, it can release strong, longer-ranged punches. The user can also turn his abdomen into a spring, which grants him more flexibility.
The weakness of this fruit's powers lies within the self-propulsion by turning the legs into springs: the user can only be propelled in a straight direction, making it easy for the opponents to predict the trajectory and counterattack, and if they do, the user's current speed can cause said counterattack to become more severe. Also, the user needs something solid to bounce off of, thus the direction is based on the geography of the battlefield; that being said, this also leaves heavy collateral damage depending on how the user decides to bounce. However, such weaknesses do not apply when the power is used to launch a spring-loaded punch or kick. Furthermore, this fruit depends much on the user's physical strength. The power would not be effective if the user is physically weak. Other than that, this fruit has the standard Devil Fruit weaknesses.
The fruit's bestowed powers, as used by Bellamy, have been used primarily for combat. His usage between the two sides of the timeskip varies.
Prior to the timeskip, the basic concept of Bellamy's usage of this power is to turn his legs into springs and then launch himself as a projectile, with his fist held in front of him to punch an opponent at heightened velocity, and he heavily relied on this power for his combat style. Outside of combat purposes, the fruit's powers have been seen being used by Bellamy to jump to the top of a tower where Luffy was calling out for him.
- Spring Snipe (スプリング
狙撃Supuringu Sunaipu?, literally meaning "Spring Sniping"): Turning both his forelegs into springs, Bellamy launches himself directly at his opponent with a punch. This was first seen being used on Shoujou when Bellamy and his crew attacked the Saruyama Alliance leaders. While doing this attack, Bellamy inadvertently also broke the Going Merry in half. In the FUNimation dub it is called the Spring Sniper.
- Spring Hopper (スプリング
跳人Supuringu Hoppā?, literally meaning "Spring Recoil Man"): Bellamy's ultimate attack. Using the surrounding geography like the buildings in Jaya's square, he bounces from one spot to the next, increasing in speed with each successive spring, while also disorientating opponents with the continuous sound of springing. He keeps increasing his speed to such a level that he seemingly disappears to spectators. Then he simply has to aim himself fist first at the target and let the accumulated momentum do the rest. This is the technique Bellamy used to defeat Roshio, which caused a good deal of collateral damage on the surfaces he bounced off of, and was first properly seen when he battled against Luffy, the latter of whom possessed enough reflex and insight to keep up with Bellamy's increasing speed and completely nullified the Spring Hopper by punching Bellamy right in the head. After the time-skip, Bellamy combined this with Busoshoku Haki, managing to strike Luffy, who was too restricted by his emotions to counterattack like two years ago.
After the timeskip, Bellamy's style of usage of the power seemingly improved and somewhat changed, such as enforcing his punches by turning his own arm into a spring, as well as evading an enemy by changing one leg for a quick evasive maneuver. He is also able to change both of his legs into one single spring to supplement his acrobatic skills, and utilize his spring-arms as extensions, similar to Luffy's rubbery arms.
- Spring Death Knock (スプリング
死拳Supuringu Desunokku?, literally meaning "Spring Death Fist"): An attack similar to Luffy's Gomu Gomu no Pistol, Bellamy turns his arm into a spring and compresses it. He then releases it as a long-ranged and powerful punch. This was first seen used against Tank Lepanto in the Corrida Colosseum.
Anime and Manga Differences
- In the anime, after being forced to defeat Bellamy a second time by Donquixote Doflamingo, Luffy created an attack that simulated his Spring Hopper technique called Gomu Gomu no Spring Bullet as an homage to him.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 25 Chapter 231 (p. 11-12) and Episode 150, Bellamy uses Spring Snipe against the Saruyama Alliance.
- One Piece Yellow: Grand Elements (p. 221) , Databook entry for the Bane Bane no Mi.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 24 Chapter 224 and Episode 146, Roshio's defeat foreshadowed the fruit's powers.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 25 Chapter 232 and Episode 151, Bellamy releases his Spring Hopper against Luffy.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 77 Chapter 770 (p. 2-3) and Episode 711, Bellamy managed to strike Luffy with Spring Hopper.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 71 Chapter 707 (p. 6-7) and Episode 636, Bellamy uses Spring Death Knock on Tank Lepanto.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 71 Chapter 708 (p. 12), Bellamy changes his legs into one spring for a front flip on Abdullah and Jeet.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 71 Chapter 709 (p. 11) and Episode 638, Bellamy extends his arms to grab onto Bartolomeo.
- One Piece Anime — Episode 637, Bellamy changes his legs and hips into springs for a front flip on Abdullah and Jeet.
- One Piece Anime — Episode 721, Luffy uses his Spring Bullet technique
- Spring – Wikipedia article about the mechanical device.
- Everything You Want To Know About Springs - Site about springs.