The Baratie is an ocean-going restaurant run by Zeff. It is located in the Sambas Region (サンバス海域 Sanbasu Kaiiki?) of the East Blue, close to the entrance of the Grand Line. It is the setting of the Baratie Arc.
Appearance and Features
The Baratie is a fairly large ship. It takes an oval shape, with the normal masts but has a fish as a front-piece/head. The Baratie has a round bottom. A small array of cannons are lined on the sides, which can be used for battle. The Baratie also has four levels:
- Lower deck, which is where the main restaurant is.
- Middle Deck, which is the main kitchen.
- Upper Deck, where twenty three cooks reside.
- The fins that fold out to the sides from underneath are to stabilize the restaurant during harsh weather and also, are used as a battle platform to prevent the restaurant itself from receiving collateral damage.
The Baratie has certain parts that caught the interest of Don Krieg. One main part was that the Baratie has "fins". The bottom of the ship was rounded, and could be extended into "fins" or a battle deck. Also, the fish head of the ship can be detached to make the mobile attack unit Sabagashira I. Similar to a pedal boat, it is covered and made out of metal. Cannons are stationed inside of the fish's mouth.
The ship had a few secondary boats. One of them was a supply boat, which was handed off to Gin and the remnants of the Krieg Pirates after their defeat. Yet another boat was given to Sanji, so he, Monkey D. Luffy and Yosaku could sail to Cocoyasi Village
After two years, the Baratie has expanded with headquarters undergoing major renovations, with several floors added, and with at least two other sister ships.
| Head Chef
| Meat Master
| Sous Chef
| Chore Boy
Monkey D. Luffy ‡
|Mitsuboshi ≠||Savarin ≠|
- †: the character is deceased.
- *: the character's status is unknown, or show additional information. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
- ≠: the character is non-canon.
- ‡: the character is no longer part of this group. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
The Baratie is owned and headed by Zeff, who founded it 12 years ago with the help of a 9-year-old Sanji. After its founding, Zeff assumed the position of head chef, with Sanji becoming the young sous chef.
The Baratie staff is noted for being a staff of outcasts, exiles and pirate types. Its owner is a renowned former pirate captain, and Sanji himself came to help co-found the restaurant after being exiled from his family. Most of the chefs (including Patty and Carne) also joined up after being chased out of other restaurants and responding to Zeff's adverts for "damn cooks". When the restaurant came under attack by the Krieg Pirates, the cooking staff decided to defend it because it was the one place that had accepted them. The staff mostly fights with oversized cutlery, like forks and knives.
The chefs on board the Baratie are well-known for fighting in the restaurant, usually against pirates who come to try to steal food. However, Zeff and Sanji were particularly known for attacking ungrateful or rowdy customers, much to Patty's despair, and would do so in full view of the other customers.
After Sanji received his first bounty from the World Government, the other chefs responded by handing out copies to customers and displaying it inside the restaurant. Rather than being worried about connecting themselves to a famous pirate crew, the Baratie chefs are proud about it and use it to market themselves to their customers.
He frequently visited the Baratie, but one day, he got drunk on wine and died after setting himself on fire. The flames were said to be quite beautiful.
The Baratie was also frequented by the Marine Lieutenant Fullbody. On one occasion, he brought a date, Moodie, whom he tried to impress with his knowledge of fine wine. After Sanji called him out for being wrong, Fullbody attacked Sanji, only for the sous chef to beat him bloody in response.
Ten years before Luffy arrived at the Baratie, hoping to find a cook for his young crew, Zeff founded the Baratie with Sanji's help and support. After the Cook Pirates attacked the Orbit, both Zeff and a 9-year-old Sanji were stranded on a rock for 85 days. During this time, Zeff discussed with Sanji the idea of starting a restaurant floating on the sea, and Sanji promised that if they survived, he would help Zeff achieve that goal. After they were rescued on the 85th day, Zeff sold all the treasure he had and purchased the Baratie. As the restaurant's new head chef, he told Sanji (the new sous chef) that all customers would be welcome, no matter how villainous they were.
During Luffy's brief stint working at the Baratie, the restaurant was attacked by the Krieg Pirates after Sanji gave Gin some food. Gin responded by taking the armada to the Baratie, as the armada was starving to death. After Zeff gave Krieg some food, which the cooks of Baratie would not do, Krieg attempted to capture the Baratie, saying that it would be the perfect disguise to attack towns and other ships. The cooks began to prepare to fight against the Wolves of the Sea, the nickname given to the armada, and Krieg's weapon arsenal. Later, after a long and arduous battle between Krieg and Luffy, Baratie was successfully defended.
From the Decks of the World
- Baratie staff vs. Krieg Pirates
- Roronoa Zoro vs. Dracule Mihawk
- Sanji vs. Pearl
- Sanji vs. Gin
- Monkey D. Luffy vs. Don Krieg
Translation and Dub Issues
Due to lack of proper Japanese to English translation, Baratie was translated as Valatie in the One Piece opening music "Share the World".
- According to Rurubu One Piece, Baratie was inspired by Vietnam.
- There is a Little Baratie on the anime filler island, Little East Blue, which looks just like the original except it resides in a small pond.
- During Patty's first debut in the anime, when he was saying some kind of motivational motto to himself in the bathroom mirror, "Eiichiro Oda", One Piece's creator, is written in the lower-right corner of the mirror.
- Oda worked part-time at a restaurant named "Baratei" (薔薇亭 Bara-tei?, literally meaning "Rose Arbor").
- An advertisement for the Baratie was included in the supplementary Grand Times No. 1192 Issue (One Para 3). The advertisement included a picture of Sanji's wanted poster and mentioned his connection to the restaurant. Fittingly, the Baratie would later use Sanji's infamy as a selling point with the Nasugasira.