Chapter 1000 is titled "Straw Hat Luffy".
Cover Page[edit | edit source]
Color Spread: Shows the second half of the poster celebrating the 1000th chapter of the series. This half shows some of the Straw Hat Pirates; Luffy, Nami, and Jinbe, as well as part of Brook, Chopper, and Robin (which the other part is connected with the cover page of the previous chapter). They are enjoying a big treasure party.
Short Summary[edit | edit source]
As the Inuarashi Musketeer Squad clears Luffy's way to the roof and Marco throws Zoro up there, Yamato reminisces about meeting with Ace. Ace had revealed Luffy's dream to Yamato, who had read those exact words in Kozuki Oden's logbook quoting the Pirate King Roger. Before Ace departed, Yamato made him a Vivre Card so they could find each other again some day, but Yamato's portion of the card disappeared once Ace died. Back in the present, Yamato reveals to Momonosuke that Oden wrote in his logbook that if he did not survive, then powerful pirates leading a new generation would come into the New World and take down Kaido in 20 years.
As Yamato recounts this, Luffy, Zoro, Law, Kid, and Killer confront Kaido and Big Mom on the Skull Dome's roof. Luffy goes to talk to Kin'emon, who has been defeated along with the other Nine Red Scabbards, and the samurai asks Luffy to put Wano on his back in the light of his own group's failure. As Kaido moves to attack them, Luffy has Law move the Scabbards inside the Skull Dome while he leaps over Kaido. He then proceeds to strike the Emperor in the face with Gomu Gomu no Red Roc, a powerful Gear Third punch that sends him crashing to the ground. Luffy then tells Kaido and Big Mom that he is the one who will surpass them and become the Pirate King.
Long Summary[edit | edit source]
Finally reaching the fifth floor, Luffy comes across the Inuarashi Musketeer Squad, who have cleared the way to the roof and ask him to continue onwards. Luffy thanks Shishilian and makes his way to the roof, while also telling all of them that he remembers how they defended Raizo with their lives, which causes Shishilian to tear up. On the Live Floor, Marco uses his flames to hold Queen (who is shown to have a mechanical elongated neck) and King back while he throws Zoro up to the roof, much to his chagrin though.
In the storage room, Yamato returns Oden's journal to Momonosuke, revealing they had believed he had died twenty years ago and they never expected a day they could meet him. Yamato also reveals they found the journal near the river at the foot of Oden's Castle that day long ago and says that someone must have protected it, since it has written about his life and time traveling the world. Yamato asks if Momonosuke was born on Whitebeard's ship and he even sailed on Roger's ship and explains that Oden and the Roger Pirates predicted that a little over twenty years in the future, a new generation of pirates would advance to the New World, and they believe they were talking about this very moment. Yamato also revealed that they thought Ace would have led the charge but after his death they recalled something.
In the past, Ace accidentally told Yamato about Luffy and his dream before demanding they never laugh at him. He declares he won't allow anyone to mock his dreams because he and Sabo believed in him. Before he can finish, Yamato starts tearing up and declares they would never laugh at him, because those were the same words that dumbfounded Oden. Ace is intrigued by who said that and offers to drink with that person and Luffy someday, only for Yamato to reveal that person was dead, which annoys him. Afterwards Yamato gives Ace his Vivre Card, who explains to him how it functions and asks to meet him again someday, which he agrees to.
In the present, Yamato reveals that Ace's Vivre Card disappeared without a trace one day, which made them realize he was dead, and the newspaper the next day revealed everything, such as Ace being Roger's son and that Luffy was already making a name for himself. Yamato explains that Momonosuke brought that very same person to Wano, as if Oden documented the future, and how a group of powerful pirates would shoulder the burden of the next era and go to the New World, and by chance he died, they would defeat Kaido in his stead.
Speaking of, Luffy and Zoro reach the roof of the Skull Dome along with Eustass Kid, Killer, and Law where they confront Kaido and Big Mom awaiting them. Luffy notices something and starts walking toward the two as Kaido tells Big Mom what Luffy told him previously. Big Mom also adds how he talked back at her and how he destroyed her castle, so she wants an apology. To their surprise though, Luffy ignores them and walks past them over to the Nine Red Scabbards and Izo, who were defeated and left beaten on the floor. Kaido turns to look at Luffy and demands he say what he said to them previously to their faces. Luffy, however, continues to ignore them and apologize to Kin'emon for arriving late. He looks at the injured samurai as Kin'emon distraughtly says that he can't leave things as they are, or he will never be able to face Oden in the afterlife. He asks Luffy to shoulder their burden and save Wano, who agrees citing that it is the land of his friends.
An annoyed Kaido proceeds to raise his club to strike Luffy, who asks Law to move everyone away with his Devil Fruit powers, which he does so. He then jumps high into the air dodging Kaido's strike as he goes into Gear Third. As he does so, he thinks back to when the Mink Tribe revealed that Raizo was safe and that they would never sell out their allies, Momonosuke's tears as he yelled he wanted to take down Kaido, Kin'emon revealing he had traveled through time, Yasuie's execution, Hyogoro's tears of joy, and Kin'emon revealing the details of Oden's death. He then proceeds to strike Kaido with a new attack called Gomu Gomu no Red Roc, slamming him into the ground and actually causing him to bleed. Big Mom is left in disbelief at the sight of Kaido getting knocked down as Luffy introduces himself as the one who will surpass the two of them and become the Pirate King.
Quick References[edit | edit source]
Chapter Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Mink Tribe recovers from their battle with Jack's forces and clears Luffy's way to the roof.
- Marco holds back King and Queen, and throws Zoro to the roof.
- Queen is revealed to have a mechanical elongated neck.
- Yamato gives Oden's journal to Momonosuke.
- It is revealed that Yamato gave Ace his Vivre Card.
- Luffy, Zoro, Law, Kid, and Killer have reached the roof and are facing Kaido and Big Mom.
- The Scabbards and Izo are gravely wounded, but still alive.
- Law moves the Scabbards away from the roof.
- Luffy strikes Kaido with a new Gear Third attack, Gomu Gomu no Red Roc, which actually causes Kaido to bleed.
Characters[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Following the release of Chapter 990, the official Twitter and Instagram accounts managed by Eiichiro Oda's staff started a countdown to Chapter 1000. The countdown features images of each Straw Hat Pirates member from their introduction, with the exception of Jinbe. The images are tinted in the featured character's thematic color, and numbered in reverse order of joining, from Jinbe to Luffy.
- Jinbe's image is the first time his thematic color is shown.
- Luffy and Zoro's images feature the logo of "One Piece 1000 Logs".
- At the end of Episode 956, Luffy and Chopper addressed the viewers to announce the then-upcoming milestone.
- To celebrate the 1,000th chapter of the series, the poster representing the Straw Hat crew for the cover page is split between Chapter 999 and this chapter. The full version of this color spread was revealed on the day this chapter was released.
- The color spreads reflects the one from Chapter 100, with Luffy and Nami in the same pose as in that spread. The title font and background are also the same.
- Luffy's silhouette at the end of the chapter mirrors Shanks giving him his Straw Hat at the end of Chapter 1.
[edit | edit source]