Chapter 1048 is titled "Twenty Years".
Germa 66's Ahh... An Emotionless Excursion, Vol. 10: "I think Germa's come to Chocolat Town!!"
Momonosuke headbutts Onigashima to get it out of the way of Luffy's attack, and Kaidou unveils a new technique to try to protect himself but fails due to Luffy's previous mastery of Ryou and both attacks clash. Kawamatsu thinks back to the day 20 years ago when Kaidou and Orochi's forces attacked Kuri to kill Momonosuke and the beginning of Kaidou and Orochi's enslavement of Wano Country.
Denjiro saves Hiyori from Orochi's attack and the people at the Fire Festival release their paper lanterns in the air with their wish to become free again as Luffy and Kaidou's attacks continue to clash.
Momonosuke tells Luffy that he can’t move Onigashima out of the way, but the memory of his family compels him to try anyway. Kaidou tells Luffy that he will take his attack head on as he starts covering himself in fire, a move called Kaen Daiko. While doing so, he tells Luffy that Oden died twenty years ago by burning to death, and ever since then, Wano became a lawless land filled with people desperately waiting for their “savior” to appear. The fire causes Luffy to let go, which Kaidou says is the right call and that he had no intention of running, though it was because he was confident Luffy wouldn’t be able to crush him with his fist because he would vaporize it. Kaidou then performs a move called Shoryu: Kaen Hakke while Luffy uses Gomu Gomu no Bajrang Gun, all the while thinking back to when Hyogoro taught him advanced Busoshoku Haki, and the two attacks clash.
Inside the castle, Usopp tries to keep Kin’emon and Kikunojo from drowning and the other samurai cheer for Luffy to defeat Kaidou, with Kawamatsu saying that unless Kaidou is defeated, then their long nightmare won’t end. He thinks about when he and the rest fled the Flower Capital after Oden was killed, and Orochi yelled that they would most definitely head back to Kuri to protect Momonosuke, only for Kaidou to say he would take care of him himself. As a result, several loyal samurai were struck down by Kaidou and the castle was burnt to the ground. Kozuki Toki was pronounced dead in Bakura Town and no one else was found which led to Orochi believing the Kozuki line had finally ended.
After that, Orochi and Kaidou confronted the remaining daimyo to see who would they side with, and they all quickly picked up arms against them, saying they refuse to recognize a shogun that isn’t Oden and will avenge him. Sadly, they didn’t stand a chance against Kaidou, and because of that, none of them could depose Orochi, who continued to enjoy tormenting his people. Their actions would lead to several samurai being imprisoned and forced to work as slaves by the Beasts Pirates, the factories polluting the water, and eventually killing all the crops. Still, several samurai kept believing in Toki’s words. Orochi would later start feeding the people of Ebisu Town faulty SMILEs to make them only capable of smiling and laughing even when they are actually sad, which he said was a fitting fate for them all.
In the present, Orochi, still on fire, tries to attack Hiyori, but Denjiro arrives in time and slices Orochi’s final head off, ending the psychotic shogun’s reign for good. Surprisingly, one of the wishes written on the sky lanterns was “please make Orochi disappear”, while another one is “free us from this hell”, which Luffy is still working on with his clash with Kaidou.
- Momonosuke remembers his family from 20 years ago and headbutts Onigashima.
- The battle between Luffy and Kaidou continues.
- Kaidou uses a new technique that allows his entire dragon form to become extremely hot, causing Luffy to let go of him. As an example, a portion of Onigashima's horns melts in the process.
- Luffy then unleashes his new attack on Kaidou.
- Usopp and Hamlet accidentally drop Kin'emon and Kikunojo due to panic caused by a water surge.
- A flashback shows the events after Oden's death 20 years ago.
- Kaidou attacks Kuri with Orochi to hunt down Momonosuke after learning of his existence along with the remaining Kozuki retainers, and burns down the Kozuki Clan castle.
- Shimotsuki Ushimaru, Shimotsuki Yasuie, Fugetsu Omusubi and Uzuki Tempura, as Daimyo of the other regions of Wano, attack Kaidou and Orochi.
- After their resistance failed, Orochi started taking all capable men to work at the Prisoner Mine in Udon, leaving women and children behind at their homes.
- The effects of the activities at the mines were seen throughout the country, with water becoming undrinkable, infertile land and air pollution.
- Orochi starts feeding the remaining citizens with defective SMILE fruits, and was seen rejoicing with his courtesans during the tragedy.
- At the present, a still burning Orochi attempts to kill Hiyori.
- Denjiro protects Hiyori by decapitating Orochi's remaining head.
- The citizens of the Flower Capital continue to celebrate the Fire Festival and release their paper lanterns into the sky.
- The wishes of the people on the lanterns are revealed of their wish to be free of Orochi and Kaidou.
|Germa 66's Ahh... An Emotionless Excursion|
|Manga Chapters (covers)|