Chapter 574 is titled "Portgas D. Ace Dies".
Marco asks Mr. 3 to make a key in order to free himself from the Seastone handcuffs while the rest of the Whitebeard Pirates and their allies repel Akainu's attacks. Several flashbacks of Ace's past are shown before Ace dies smiling, saying he had a happy life.
While allies and members of the Whitebeard pirates fend off Admiral Akainu, Sengoku is forced to subdue Garp, because otherwise Garp would attempt to kill Akainu. Ace's crewmates call a doctor, but Ace says it's too late because his insides have been melted. Many flashbacks from Ace's past are shown in which people commented that if Gol D. Roger has a kid, that kid should just die.
Ace then says his last words, how he will miss everyone, and how glad he was to be accepted by his friends and to have a family. He also mentions someone dear to him for the first time. In the final flashback, Luffy is crying and Ace tells Luffy that he is never going to die cause he has a little brother to worry about. With that, his Vivre Card burns completely and a flashback of his mother is shown naming him Gol D. Ace. Both Whitebeard and Garp start to cry. In the final scene, Ace dies in front of Luffy's lap, leaving Luffy alone with a tormented expression on his face, and apparently spelling the end for the Gol D. bloodline.
- Marco and Vista are confirmed to be Haki users.
- Sabo is mentionned for the first time.
- Portgas D. Ace, second division commander of the Whitebeard Pirates and son of the Pirate King Gol D. Roger dies, making this the very first death of a major character (as well as a D. carrier) outside of a flashback.
- As suggested by the traits of the ones who carry the Will of D., Ace also dies with a smile.
- With Ace's death, Gol D. Roger's bloodline comes to an end.