Cipher Pol is a series of World Government organizations. They act as secret agencies who do investigations, assassinations and espionage for the World Government. They are first mentioned by name in Chapter 325 and Episode 230.
The various Cipher Pol cells are stationed throughout the world and investigate for the World Government. They supplement the Intelligence Branch of the World Government's Marine forces, but seem to operate more as a counter-insurgency agency that also has more general law enforcement duties. They have some authority regarding recruitment for the Marines, even dealing with the Underworld for unique individuals. If they encounter pirates, they will apprehend them, but, as an agency, Cipher Pol seems to focus more on political threats to the World Government than more generic criminals. So far, the CP agencies seen on the Grand Line are CP5, CP6, CP7, CP9 and CP-0.
There are eight official Cipher Pols that are numbered from CP1 to CP8 with two unofficial units, which are named CP9 and CP-0. Cipher Pol No. 9 has the license to kill any citizen that does not cooperate with the World Government or acts in contrary to its interests. Because such a radical method of applying justice by the World Government should not be common knowledge, this group is a top secret organization. CP-0 is known to the public, but are different from the other units in that they work directly for the World Nobles.
According to the Enies Lobby Arc, the official uniform for Cipher Pol agents is a black suit and fedora.
In order to exceed the limits of the human body, CP9 agents receive special training since their childhood. In order to become a full-fledged member of CP9, the agents must master a martial arts style that is called Rokushiki. The training also has somewhat of a mind-molding process so that Cipher Pol agents only learn how to be assassins and that this is their only profession. Rob Lucci, for example, was not capable of feeling gratitude or mercy. Kaku, on the other hand, loved being a shipwright but was forced to leave it behind; he seemed to have shown regret at this decision, but ultimately did not hold back when he was fulfilling his duties. The members received individual training, but they also trained together a lot.
|Chief Spandam ‡||Funkfreed *||Assassin Rob Lucci ‡||Hattori ‡||Assassin Kaku ‡|
|Assassin Jabra ‡||Assassin Blueno ‡||Assassin Kumadori ‡||Assassin Fukuro ‡||Assassin Kalifa ‡|
|Assassin Nero ‡ *|
Previous Generation of CP9
|Chief Spandine ‡||Laskey ‡||?????? ‡|
Other Cipher Pol
|Spandam ‡ (CP5)||Jerry (CP6)||Wanze (CP7)||?????? *||?????? *|
Cipher Pol GroupsEdit
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 34 Chapter 323 (p. 15) and Episode 230, The undercover agents of CP-9 are introduced.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 34 Chapter 325 (p. 8) and Episode 230, The disguised Blueno utters to Nico Robin the name of his group.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 36 Chapter 346 (p. 5-6) and Episode 244, the Cipher Pol No. 9 has the privilege to kill all opposers to the World Government.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 40 Chapter 382 and Episode 269, Rob states some of his ideals to Spandam and says he's not required to agree with Spandam's.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 43 Chapter 418 (p. 3) and Episode 300, Kaku assumes that the profession of an assassin won't give him another job.
- ↑ One Piece Anime — Episode 300, a flashback of Kaku during his time in Water 7 is seen.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 80 Chapter 803 (p. 6) and Episode 752, Dragon comment about the Cipher Pol's power.