A combatant, sometimes referred to as a fighter, is a member of a group, typically a pirate crew, whose main purpose is to fight against the group's opponents and enforce their objectives.
Role and Abilities
Although any member of a crew, provided they are capable, can take part in a fight regardless of their occupation, a combatant's specific purpose is to fight for the benefit of their crew. A combatant can be anywhere on a crew's strength hierarchy: some are officers of a crew and are considered to be their top fighters, while others are relatively average fighters who serve as foot soldiers or guards. The Big Mom Pirates, as a Four Emperors crew, have combatants who are nowhere near as strong as the top members but are still fearsome pirates in their own right and can easily deal with most fighters they come across.
Combatants have a massive variety of abilities, with many being swordsmen, gunfighters, or hand-to-hand fighters. They should not be confused with snipers, who specialize in long-range shooting and weaponry. Assassins can be similar to combatants, but their job is to specifically target and kill people for a variety of reasons while combatants simply fight against (and occasionally kill) people who are enemies of their crew. However, these positions may overlap, as Gotti is both an assassin and a combatant.
|Lucky Roux||Roronoa Zoro||Gin||Mani||Ross|
|Pekoms *||Tamago||Bobbin *||Capone Bege ‡|
- Edward Newgate does not permit female crewmates to become combatants on his crew due to his morals, a reason he did not bring any female members of his crew to a war to the death.
- This did not seem to be the case in Newgate's youth, as Whitey Bay was shown participating in combat back when she was a member of his crew.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 1 Chapter 1 (p. 5) and Episode 4, Lucky Roux, a combatant of the Red Hair Pirates, debuts.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 1 Chapter 5 (p. 19) and Episode 3, Zoro joins Luffy's crew as his combatant.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 62 Chapter 607 (p. 14-16) and Episode 526, Hammond, combatant of the New Fish-Man Pirates, makes his debut.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 66 Chapter 651 (p. 5, 8, 11) and Episode 571, Pekoms, Tamago, and Bobbin are all shown.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 85 Chapter 857 (p. 12) and Episode 826, Bege's rank is revealed.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 85 Chapter 850 (p. 7) and Episode 816, Tamago's rank is revealed.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 85 Chapter 855 (p. 2) and Episode 823, Bobbin's rank is revealed.
- SBS One Piece Manga — Vol. 76 (p. 98), Oda explains why there are no women in the Whitebeard Pirates.