|Ahoy! This here is the 159th Featured Article.
"Dawn Island" has been featured, meaning it was chosen as an article of interest.
Dawn Island is an island located in the East Blue and where the Goa Kingdom is situated. It is the home island of Monkey D. Luffy and the starting point of his journey into piracy, as well as the home island of his father, Monkey D. Dragon. This is also the adopted home of Portgas D. Ace after the death of his mother and the home of Sabo and his family.
Geography[edit | edit source]
Goa Kingdom stretches across the entire island, which consists mostly of rural farmland (with at least one village). The capital is a huge, sprawling city surrounded by a chain of low, forested mountains that are home for several groups of bandits. It is unknown how many villages there are or how many people live here.
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Foosha Village: A sleepy rural village with windmills on the outskirts of the main Goa Kingdom. Notable as Luffy's home and birthplace, it is where he met with Shanks for the first time, inspiring him to be a pirate. This village is run by the mayor, Woop Slap. It is where Makino owns a bar and Gyoru runs a fish stand.
- Mt. Colubo: A heavily-forested low-hanging mountain that rests behind Foosha Village. It is notable as the home of several Mountain Bandits, the Dadan Family. Both Luffy and Ace conducted their training in this area as instructed to by Monkey D. Garp under the supervision of Curly Dadan.
- Gray Terminal: A huge junkyard that is full of disease and crime, it smells due to the burning from the sun. It lays at the edge of Mt. Colubo. Sabo lived here until he was taken in by Dadan with Luffy and Ace.
- Pirate's Bay: A cove located in-between the Gray Terminal and the base of Mt. Colubo. The Bluejam Pirates used to be stationed here.
- Capital: The capital city of Goa Kingdom
- Great Gate: A huge gate connecting Gray Terminal to Edge Town.
- Edge Town
- Town Center
- High Town: The place where all the Nobles reside.
- Royal Palace: Where the king resides.
History[edit | edit source]
Nineteen years ago, Luffy was born on this island.
Seven years after that, Ace departed from the island. Luffy did the same thing three years later.
Wildlife[edit | edit source]
Cows can be found at the outskirts of the village. However, Mt. Colubo is a home to dangerous gigantic animals such as tigers, alligators, bears, snakes, and vultures. Luffy, Ace, and Sabo often hunted these dangerous creatures to train themselves and for food. Though they could normally take them, the animals will sometimes cause them serious injuries (like when Luffy was attacked by a bear after Sabo's supposed death).
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Even if it was not named until Chapter 584, Goa Kingdom was the first kingdom to appear in the series as Foosha Village is part of the kingdom.
- Loguetown was the beginning of Roger's journey, while Dawn Island was the start of Luffy's. The significant relationship between them is that "logue" refers to "prologue" (the beginning of a story) and "epilogue" (the end of the story), whereas "dawn" traditionally marks the end of the previous day and the start of the new one. In other words, both are names that refer to the start and end of something.
- The name of the island may also be a reference to Romance Dawn.
References[edit | edit source]
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 1 Chapter 1 (p. 48-53) and Episode 4, Luffy sets sail from Dawn Island.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 60 Chapter 585 (p. 6) and Episode 496, The kingdom is named.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 59 Chapter 582 (p. 16-19) and Episode 493, Garp leaves Luffy with Dadan and Ace.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 59 Chapter 584 (p. 4) and Episode 494, The Midway Forest's name is revealed.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 59 Chapter 583 (p. 10-11) and Episode 493, Luffy finds the Gray Terminal.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 60 Chapter 587 (p. 2, 4-15) and Episodes 501–502, Gray Terminal is burned down to ashes.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 0 Chapter 0 (p. 19) and Episode 0, Dadan is seen running after baby Ace.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 59 Chapter 583 (p. 4-9) and Episode 493, Luffy tries to follow Ace trough Midway Forest.
[edit | edit source]