|Ahoy! This here is the 196th Featured Article.
"Devil Fruit" has been featured, meaning it was chosen as an article of interest.
Devil Fruits are mysterious, distinctive fruits scattered throughout the world, known for granting their eaters permanent super-human powers—and an equally permanent inability to swim.
As a whole, Devil Fruits encompass hundreds of different powers, from the (apparently) mundane to the inherently mass-destructive. These are broadly grouped along three categories: Paramecia, Logia, and Zoan.
Devil Fruits have empowered many of the world's most significant individuals, especially among the Three Great Powers. This, along with their general rarity, causes them to be highly sought-after; single specimens may be valued at hundreds of millions in Belly, and extensive efforts have been made to mass-produce artificial versions for warfare. With only one notable exception, an individual can only acquire the powers of a single Devil Fruit and survive.
According to Oda, a "certain professor" will explain the complex mechanisms behind all of the Devil Fruits in the series at some point in the future.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Strengths and Weaknesses
- 3 Myths and Misconceptions
- 4 Research
- 5 Early One Piece
- 6 Manga and Anime Influences
- 7 Translation and Dub Issues
- 8 Trivia
- 9 References
- 10 Site Navigation
A Devil Fruit, after being consumed, gives the consumer a superpower or special trait, which they will soon become aware of; a person who has eaten a Devil Fruit and gained its powers is known as a Devil Fruit User (能力者 Nōryoku-sha?, lit. "Power User" or "Esper") There are more than 100 different Devil Fruits in the world, but only one of each Devil Fruit exists. Additionally, all Devil Fruits are known to taste very bad and cause the consumer to permanently lose their ability to swim.
It is currently unknown what exactly Devil Fruits are, where they came from, or exactly how they work. What is known about them is that the powers within affect the eater's Lineage Factor. The fruits come in all different shapes and colors, though all the Devil Fruits seen so far have possessed swirl marks or patterns. The only known exceptions are the Artificial Devil Fruits, which have ring patterns on them. The oldest introduced Devil Fruit user is Kozuki Toki, who was born 800 years ago, meaning Devil Fruits have existed in the world for at least eight centuries.
Only one bite is needed for the user to gain the power of the Devil Fruit, after which the Devil Fruit becomes a simple, useless, disgusting fruit. Despite this, the majority of those who have consumed a Devil Fruit have eaten the entire Fruit, as they are apparently unaware of this fact. Furthermore, the consumer gains the powers and drawbacks of the Fruit immediately after the Fruit is swallowed, without needing to wait for the fruit to digest.
A person can only eat a single Devil Fruit in their entire life; any attempt to gain a second Devil Fruit power will cause the consumer's body to be torn apart to such a degree that little trace is left of it, resulting in their death. The reason for this is currently unknown; it is rumored that an actual devil lives inside each fruit and transfers to a fruit user's body upon consumption and would fight with the devil inhabiting another fruit if they were to meet within the same body, but this rumor has been debunked by science.
Notably, there is a method that would allow one to steal the Devil Fruit powers from the dead body of a deceased Devil Fruit user. The details of this method are currently unknown. The only ones who know this method are Marshall D. Teach and his crew.
Devil Fruits are said to be the fruits of the Sea Devil and that the secret to their power is hidden in the Grand Line. Because encounters with them are rare (especially outside the Grand Line), a number of rumors about them have risen, making it difficult to tell whether some things are fact or fiction; some people even dismissed them as mere myth until actually getting to see one in action.
The average person knows nothing or very little about what they are or what they do; this especially applies to people in isolated countries, even within the Grand Line, such as the people of Wano Country, and even Princess Shirahoshi of Fish-Man Island, as none of them know about the Devil Fruits, instead believing the powers bestowed to users are curses or sorcery. Relatedly, Devil Fruits may also lead to the user being considered a "freak" and treated as an outcast. This is due to some of the abilities considered far too strange or frightening for normal people to accept. In many cases, Devil Fruit users are considered a different race altogether, and with good reason.
Many Devil Fruit users have their own title, such as Rubber Human (ゴム人間 Gomu Ningen?), Magma Human (マグマ人間 Maguma Ningen?), or Human Reindeer (人間トナカイ Ningen Tonakai?). As seen with these examples, the title is usually the type of ability followed by the species (or in the case of items which has eaten Zoan fruits, the object they originally were). The sole exception is the Kage Kage no Mi user, who gains the title of Ruler of Shadows (影の支配者 Kage no Shihaisha?).
Notably, Devil Fruit powers generally extend through the clothes that the user is wearing. Paramecia Fruit users alter their clothes along with themselves automatically (for example, Luffy's shirt will never burst a button when his torso is inflated in Gear Third, Mr. 1's pants become blades along with his legs, etc.), Zoan Fruit users' clothes will fit in the same proportions after their transformation (Chopper's hat grew big when he was in Monster Point, Jabra's shoes are considerably stretched when in the hybrid form), and Logia Fruit users transform their clothes (and subsequent accessories) to their element along with themselves. Oda explained in an SBS once that if he had done it realistically, the manga would have too much unnecessary nudity. This rule also applies to prosthetic body parts. An example of this is Queen's artificial arm, which transforms into a brachiosaurus leg when he takes his brachiosaurus form. However, some users do not seem to adhere to this, such as Jewelry Bonney, whose clothes do not change proportionally to their powers.
Interestingly, although eating a Devil Fruit affects the consumers genetic blueprint, it causes no abnormalities in the users children. An example is the Charlotte Family; though its matriarch, Charlotte Linlin has Devil Fruit powers, none of her children were born with powers of their own. Furthermore, even though the parents cannot consume a second Devil Fruit, a Devil Fruit users children who don’t already have powers can consume Devil Fruits of their own without dying, should the opportunity present itself.
Devil Fruits are the source of power for some of the strongest people of the current generation in the world, including rookie pirate crews, the Marine admirals, the Seven Warlords of the Sea, and at least three Emperors, Blackbeard, Big Mom, and Kaido.
Because of their power, Devil Fruits are highly sought after by both the government and the Underworld, among many other parties. If sold, they can expect to fetch well over 100,000,000, and Devil Fruit users themselves are sold at market prices the same way slaves are. Of course, individual Fruits each have their differences in price, depending on the powers bestowed, as the Ope Ope no Mi is worth over 5,000,000,000 in the black market.
They are relatively common in the Grand Line compared to the other four blues. A typical pirate crew in the Grand Line will often center around a captain with Devil Fruit powers (such as the Bellamy Pirates, the Wapol Pirates, or the Foxy Pirates), while stronger crews and organizations will often contain multiple Devil Fruit users (such as the Whitebeard Pirates, the Big Mom Pirates, the Beasts Pirates, the Donquixote Pirates, Baroque Works, or the Marines). Two of the Emperors (Blackbeard and Kaido) even take this so far as to go out of their way to gather as many Devil Fruits as possible using their own unique methods. In fact, since entering the Grand Line, nearly every single major opponent that Luffy has faced had a Devil Fruit ability, while in the East Blue he only faced two (not including Alvida, who ate her Devil Fruit later on, after their first encounter).
Natural Devil Fruits
Devil Fruits exist in a cycle of reincarnation; when a Devil Fruit user dies, their ability is reborn into a new fruit at some random location in the world. Instead of growing from a plant, the ability simply regenerates inside another similar fruit which then transforms into the Devil Fruit in question, as seen when Smiley "died" and the power of the Sara Sara no Mi, Model: Axolotl was reborn into a nearby apple.
When this happens, the empowered fruit changes appearance. Some characteristics of a fruits transformation into a Devil Fruit include the stem becoming noticeably curlier than it was when the Fruit was not endowed with the ability. It also changes color and takes on the distinct spiral patters that Devil Fruits are known to have.
Artificial Devil Fruit
SMILE Devil Fruits have been shown to grow on trees, groomed by the Dwarves of the Tontatta Kingdom under the Donquixote Pirates coercion. Unlike regular Devil fruits, the SMILE are more traditional fruits that are transformed over time.
Devil Fruit Powers that Returned into Circulation
|Devil Fruit||Last Possessor||Circumstances||Status|
|Soru Soru no Mi||Carmel||Mysteriously disappeared, but confirmed to be dead.||Power obtained by Charlotte Linlin through unknown means.|
|Mane Mane no Mi||Kurozumi Higurashi||Killed by Kaido.||Fruit eventually obtained and eaten by Bentham.|
|Bari Bari no Mi||Kurozumi Semimaru||Died through unknown reason.||Fruit eventually obtained and eaten by Bartolomeo.|
|Ope Ope no Mi||Unnamed doctor||Died through unknown reason.||Fruit eventually obtained by Diez Barrels, stolen by Donquixote Rosinante, and force fed to Trafalgar Law.|
|Toki Toki no Mi||Kozuki Toki||Shot by the Beasts Pirates.||Unknown status.|
|Nagi Nagi no Mi||Donquixote Rosinante||Killed by Donquixote Doflamingo.||Unknown status.|
|Mera Mera no Mi||Portgas D. Ace||Killed by Sakazuki.||Fruit obtained by Donquixote Doflamingo, offered as a prize in the Corrida Colosseum, and then won and eaten by Sabo.|
|Gura Gura no Mi||Edward Newgate||Killed by the Blackbeard Pirates.||Power obtained by Marshall D. Teach using an unknown method.|
|Sara Sara no Mi, Model: Axolotl||Smiley||Devoured candy and transformed into Shinokuni.||Last seen on Punk Hazard.|
|Yuki Yuki no Mi||Monet||Inadvertently killed by Caesar Clown.||Unknown status.|
|Gutsu Gutsu no Mi ≠||Bill||Died when Silver Mine was destroyed.||Unknown status.|
|Suke Suke no Mi||Absalom||Killed by the Blackbeard Pirates||Fruit obtained and eaten by Shiryu.|
- * Note: While the Mini Mini no Mi and Gutsu Gutsu no Mi were used by two different users (Blyue and Lily Enstomach ate the Mini Mini no Mi and Lambor Bukini and Bill ate the Gutsu Gutsu no Mi), it is not to be assumed that either had died and that the fruit respawned, as all users and both fruits are non canon.
|— Kaku on his and Kalifa's unidentified Devil Fruits|
There is a Devil Fruit Encyclopedia (悪魔の実図鑑 Akuma no Mi Zukan?) that lists the names and powers of all the Devil Fruits. However, only a few of them have illustrations, meaning that most Devil Fruits cannot be identified by their appearance. For example, the Gomu Gomu no Mi and the Yami Yami no Mi had pictures and could be recognized prior to consumption, whereas the Awa Awa no Mi and the Ushi Ushi no Mi, Model: Giraffe did not, and could only be identified by the abilities they granted. This would only imply that the information in the book is incomplete and that there are still fruits out there with attributes that have yet to be documented.
One individual known to utilize this book is Blackbeard, who, in his search for the Yami Yami no Mi, memorized its shape from the illustration provided. The Vinsmoke Family also has a copy of the encyclopedia, which Sanji read and became interested in the Suke Suke no Mi.
Types of Devil Fruit
All Devil Fruit are categorized into three types/classes. Currently of all named fruits, only Tamago's Tama Tama no Mi, which allows him to regenerate from an egg into a chicken, and also two non-canon Devil Fruits have an undetermined type.
- Paramecia - The most common of the three Devil Fruit types, Paramecia-type Devil Fruits grant their users superhuman powers other than animals transformation or elemental transformation; such powers as shock wave generation and locking onto targets. Paramecia Fruits can alter features of the user's body such as a rubber physique or a body of blades. Some Paramecia Fruits allow the user to modify the people, objects, and environment around them, like by making things levitate or turning people into toys. Finally, there are some users that can generate and manipulate substances, such as wax and poison.
- Logia - The rarest and most powerful of the three Devil Fruit types, Logia-type Devil Fruits allow their users to create, control, and transform their body into a natural element, such as ice, mud, smoke, fire, or darkness. The elemental transformation effectively makes the user intangible, as well as allowing the user to remain in control of their body, even when it is broken into pieces. They also gain every ability related to that element, such as sand being able to absorb moisture or lightning being able to travel through conductive objects.
- Zoan - The users of Zoan-type Devil Fruits gain the ability to transform into an animal, as well as transform into a hybrid form of their own species and the species the fruit allows them to transform into. A recently discovered science allows Zoan Fruits to be integrated into objects, bringing the object to life and granting it the standard Zoan transformations. Carnivorous animal Zoans are better suited for combat. Zoan Fruits have a number of sub-classifications, including:
- Ancient Zoan - Zoan Fruits that allow the user to transform into an extinct species, such as dinosaurs. Ancient Zoans are rare and they appear to be stronger than regular Zoans.
- Mythical Zoan - Zoan Fruits that allow the user to transform into mythological creatures, such as a dragon or a phoenix. Mythical Zoan animals tend to have special powers, like a phoenix Zoan being able to generate flames that have healing powers. Mythical Zoans are the rarest type of Devil Fruit, even more so than Logias.
- Artificial Zoan - Artificially created Zoan Fruits that cause the user to permanently take on an animal characteristic; though, much more rarely, the user would be able to transform at will. The Artificial Zoan Fruits had a 10% success rate, while the other 90%, in addition to not gaining animal traits and losing the ability to swim, were stripped of the ability to express negative emotions, leaving them only able to smile and laugh, regardless of how they actually feel. The Artificial Fruits were developed by Vegapunk and Donquixote Doflamingo.
There are devil fruits with undetermined class:
- Tama Tama no Mi (English version: Egg-Egg Fruit): Gives the user's body the composition of an eggshell, which, if cracked open, will allow the user to regenerate into a stronger form from the egg yolk. This power makes the user more and more chicken-like with each regeneration. It was eaten by Tamago.
- Laffitte's unnamed Devil Fruit, that allows him to sprout angelic wings and utilize them to fly.
- Karasu's unnamed Devil Fruit that allows him to turn his body and clothes into a murder of crows.
- Meta Meta no Mi: Allows the user to control liquid metal, making them a Liquid Metal Human (液体金属人間 Ekitai Kinzoku Ningen). It was eaten by Graydle.
- Zuma Zuma no Mi: Allows the user to control plasma, making the user a Plasma Human (プラズマ人間 Purazuma Ningen). It was eaten by Smash.
Devil Fruit Count
|Total Devil Fruits||136||48||3||187|
- * Note: This number includes the Fuwa Fuwa no Mi, which was not named or detailed in the manga. It is deemed to be a canon Fruit because Shiki's escape from Impel Down (which involved the Fruit) was mentioned in the manga.
- ** Note: This number excludes Artificial Devil Fruits.
After consuming a fruit, the user doesn’t automatically have mastery over their powers and must train themselves to properly use their new powers. The more the user understands their own capabilities, the greater the varieties of techniques the users can utilize, which eventually leads to the awakening itself. Those who cannot harness their Devil Fruit's power well will not be able to utilize their abilities to the fullest.
Different people take different amounts of time to master their powers. For example, Luffy spent years learning how to use the Gomu Gomu no Mi, whereas Kalifa and Kaku only took hours to get used to their new abilities after consuming their Devil Fruits. Sabo trained with his Mera Mera no Mi ability at Baltigo days after Doflamingo's downfall, indicating that Sabo was still trying to understand its power. Brook himself took around 50 years to finally understand the full potential of his Yomi Yomi no Mi, earning his title of Soul King.
Proficiency also relates to the user's stamina. When exhausted, one cannot use their powers properly and must rest to regain their strength. After using his monster point, Chopper must rest for at least three hours after the Rumble Ball effect subsided.
Devil Fruit powers can, in rare instances, achieve "awakening" (覚醒 kakusei?), greatly increasing the abilities of the user. The details of how a Devil Fruit can be awakened are currently unknown, but the increased abilities have been seen to allow significantly greater power, more refined control, and new abilities that would otherwise not be possible. The effects of the awakening depend on the type of the Devil Fruit.
For Zoan-type powers, awakening grants far greater strength, speed, and durability than unawakened Zoan powers. This also includes faster recovery time, which functions involuntarily, even when the user is unconscious.
Awakened Zoan fruit users have yet to show signs of complex thought, seemingly acting out on instinct and power. All Awakened Zoan users seen so far are always in a form resembling their full beast form, but with human attributes. It is unknown if they became this way permanently upon awakening, or if these forms are a conscious choice.
|— Donquixote Doflamingo to Monkey D. Luffy on the new power he is displaying.|
For Paramecia-type powers, awakening allows the user to use their Devil Fruits at a new level of strength and in different manners than they originally could. Luffy notes that such a feat makes it no longer appear to be the power of a mere Paramecia.
An awakened Paramecia allows the user to spread their power beyond their own body and transform inorganic material around them to match the nature of their Devil Fruit power, as well as manipulate the transformed material in any way they desire. The transformation effect can be spread over a very wide area.
The main difference between awakening and Devil Fruits that allow the user to transform and manipulate the environment in the unawakened stage, such as the Hira Hira no Mi, is that awakening allows one to transform the environment from afar, as well as control it with just their mind. Unawakened environment manipulating Devil Fruits require the user to touch what they wish to transform, and often requires bodily movement to be controlled.
Doflamingo, after awakening the Ito Ito no Mi, can extend his string creating ability, transmuting the ground and buildings into vast quantities of strings that he can manipulate without even the need to touch them. Katakuri affects the environment in a similar way with his Mochi Mochi no Mi during his battle with Luffy.
Non-canonically, a second version of Paramecia awakening has been seen. This version of Paramecia awakening allows the user to vastly expand the strength and range of the Fruits power, as well as super-fine tune the ability.
Gild Tesoro awakened his Goru Goru no Mi, which allows him to create a complex sensory network within the gold he touched, enabling him to sense every movement connected with his gold. Douglas Bullet awakened his Gasha Gasha no Mi, allowing him to extend the range of his material combining ability to disassemble and restructure entire terrains into constructs as he sees fit.
This shows, at least non-canonically, that different Paramecia Fruits awaken in different ways, depending on the nature of the Fruit.
Concludes non-canon section.
Strengths and Weaknesses
Benefits of Consumption
|— Rob Lucci on Devil Fruit power.|
The main attraction of eating a Devil Fruit is the power bestowed to the user upon ingestion. More often than not, the benefits and uses bestowed by a Devil Fruit far outweigh the loss of the ability to swim. Many of these powers are advantageous in combat; such as enhanced physical strength, a variety of unique attacks, and even controlling the forces of nature. There are also powers that are good for support; such as the ability to heal others, enhanced senses, and to create food out of nothing.
Devil Fruit powers are so varied and mysterious, that the powers gained from eating one can serve purposes that may transcend normal limits. One such example is that one such Devil Fruit was able to cure an otherwise incurable disease.
Regardless of what power one receives, even ones that would normally be considered "weird" or "useless", can be utilized as a highly valuable asset both in and out of combat. What matters is the strength, skill, and creativity of the user. If nothing else, eating a Devil Fruit will not make its user any weaker.
Additionally, since each Devil Fruit user possesses a unique ability, they each require different countermeasures to deal with them, outside of the standard Devil Fruit weaknesses of Seastone and the inability to swim. As such, Devil Fruit users with odd or unfamiliar powers are very tricky to deal with in fight. However if a person has strong haki, they have greater resistance to devil fruit power. The standard approach is to take a step back and experiment with different means of attack against the Devil Fruit user.
Another advantage of Devil Fruit powers is that many places and people lack information about them, resulting in the belief that the powers are some kind of magic or curse. These misconceptions on how the power was achieved can be utilized by the user to manipulate individuals for that user's own purposes.
Devil Fruit powers are highly coveted, with many people spending their entire lives seeking out just one specific Devil Fruit, with most of these seekers often ending up disappointed or dead.
The subject of which Devil Fruit is the most powerful is up for debate. There are a number of Devil Fruits which have noticeable strengths; such as the Magu Magu no Mi, which has the greatest attack power out of all the Devil Fruits; or the Gura Gura no Mi, which is said to be able to destroy the entire world. However, as mentioned above, the strength of a Devil Fruit ultimately depends on the user.
Consequences of Consumption
|— Jabra's warning to Kalifa and Kaku.|
Devil Fruits, despite all of their beneficial attributes, have a number of downsides. One such downside is that so little is really known about them. In some cases, an entire society can be completely unaware of the existence of Devil Fruits. Due to this lack of information, and with some Devil Fruits still being unknown, the average consumer is effectively gambling when consuming one, without knowing what powers the Devil Fruit will grant, potentially resulting in a power that is difficult for that particular person to work with.
Even if the power that Devil Fruit user gains is a useful one, a Devil fruit user doesn’t automatically have control over their powers. All Devil Fruit users have to train to learn how to activate, control, and use their power. This process could potentially put the Devil Fruit user in a position that is painful and/or humiliating.
Another downside is that, while many citizens can be fascinated by people with powers, others may consider a Devil Fruit user to be "a freak", "a monster", or even "a devil". With no way of removing the power, a Devil Fruits user will end up leading a miserable life full of discrimination from those around them.
Weakness to Water
The most prominent consequence of eating a Devil Fruit is the weakness to seawater: the sea hates and rejects Devil Fruit users, causing them to become weak and helpless while submerged in water, also referred to as "becoming a hammer (カナヅチ kanazuchi?)". Though this weakness is usually referred to as the inability to swim, a more accurate definition is that the seawater itself is the weakness. The inability to move their body in the sea is simply a byproduct of the weakness.
Oda stated in an SBS that Devil Fruit users are susceptible to all types of water, not just seawater. This includes the white sea surrounding Skypiea. He elaborated on this, saying that "moving" water, like rain or waves, does not weaken Devil Fruit users, while standing water, like lakes or rivers, does. This was also shown first when Monkey D. Luffy was in the Dance Powder induced rain and did not feel his power slipping away, and again when on Zou, when the seawater that Zunesha used to shower did not affect him despite being seawater as it was "moving" water.
One of the greatest dangers created by a Devil Fruit user's weakness to water is the risk of drowning, which opponents can take advantage of in order to kill even the strongest of Devil Fruit users. However, it should be noted that the risk of drowning only applies to a devil fruit user if they cannot breath underwater; as fish-man and merfolk Devil Fruit users are capable of breathing underwater, they are not subject to this risk. However even if a Devil Fruit user can survive underwater without drowning, they will still be rendered unable to move. This immobility would make such users vulnerable to underwater dangers, such as ocean predators, as they would be incapable of defending themselves. Oda stated in an SBS that it is not until a Devil Fruit user has at least half their body in water that they become immobilized. This is seen when the Gorgon sisters and Luffy in Boa Hancock's bath were still able to move. Brook was also seen slowly losing his strength as the water levels increased in the floods in Ryugu Palace, demonstrating that being in contact with the sea does not instantly rob their strength unless it reaches a certain level.
Another danger is that if even only a part of the user's body is submerged in water, they cannot use their Devil Fruit powers, no matter how much or how little is submerged. However, if the user's body has been permanently altered by the Fruit, then the user's ability can be manipulated by outside sources; e.g., when Luffy was knocked into and sunk to the bottom of the pool at Arlong Park, Genzo and Nojiko dove underwater and stretched his neck so his head would be above water, allowing him to respirate. However, it should be noted that just being wet is not enough to induce weakness and nullify the users powers, the same is true for water inside the Devil Fruit users body, such as water that the user drinks, as seen when Luffy used Water Luffy, he and his powers were not affected in any way by the water in his body or the water covering his fists.
It should also be noted that although all Devil Fruit users are weak against water, the power itself may still work underwater (for example, Galdino can survive underwater by creating a bowl of wax surrounding him, and the keys he creates can be used to open Seastone handcuffs). Luffy was also shown after the timeskip to be able to use Gear Third underwater but it did greatly reduce the strength of his attacks.
Despite the weakness to water, a Devil Fruit user will only be affected by the water if he or she is physically touching it. Not touching the water itself will allow the user to go unaffected, even if submerged, shown when the Monster Trio used diving gear to reach the sunken St. Briss, and again when the same trio coated themselves in smaller bubbles of Yarukiman Tree Resin bubbles to battle the Kraken.
Aside from the common weakness of becoming paralyzed in still water that all Devil Fruit users share, there are many powers that also have a further weakness to water, having their abilities dampened or even outright washed away upon contact.
In addition to the weakness to actual water, there is a substance known as Seastone, a special, near-indestructible substance that emits the same energies of the sea, referred to as the sea in solid form. Coming into contact with Seastone has the same effect on Devil Fruit users as falling into the water, canceling out the Devil Fruit users powers and weakening the Devil Fruit user to the point where they can’t move. The Marines use this to their advantage when imprisoning pirates in Impel Down.
Superiority and Unpredictability
|— Crocodile's statement on his powers|
While the strength and capabilities of a Devil Fruit are ultimately determined by the strength and skill of the user, some Devil Fruit powers react in certain ways against each other, regardless of the users own capabilities. In some cases, one Devil Fruit has natural superiority over another, resulting in a significant advantage in combat. Aside from this rule of superiority, other Devil Fruit powers can react to each other in all kinds of unpredictable manners.
List of Confirmed Superiorities
Some Devil Fruits of similar powers have been confirmed to be in a relationship of superiority and inferiority. In a fight between the two, the one with the superior power is almost certain to win. Though, this in no way means that the user of the superior power is stronger than the inferior's user.
|Superior Devil Fruit||Inferior Devil Fruit||Ability||Differences|
|Magu Magu no Mi||Mera Mera no Mi||Forms of heat||Magma is of a higher order than fire.|
|Ton Ton no Mi||Kiro Kiro no Mi||Body weight control||The increase in weight by metric tons, which is 1000 kilograms.|
|Hie Hie no Mi||Yuki Yuki no Mi||Frozen states of water||Ice is a more effective freezing agent than snow.|
|Buki Buki no Mi||Supa Supa no Mi||Weapon production||The Supa Supa no Mi is limited to blades, while the Buki Buki no Mi can create all forms of weaponry.|
List of Seen Unpredictability
In many cases, outside of the above mentioned rule of superiority, there is no way to tell how Devil Fruit powers will fare when pitted against one other. A Devil Fruit user who normally dominates all other powers can sometimes be brought down by a power normally considered "weak" in comparison.
|Mera Mera no Mi||Moku Moku no Mi/
Hie Hie no Mi
|Gomu Gomu no Mi||Goro Goro no Mi||Gomu Gomu no Mi user's rubber body has resistance to electricity.|
|Doru Doru no Mi||Doku Doku no Mi||Doru Doru no Mi's wax can block the Doku Doku no Mi's basic poison, though not its most corrosive poison.|
|Hana Hana no Mi||Nuke Nuke no Mi||Hana Hana no Mi user's appendages can grab and constrain Nuke Nuke no Mi's user.|
|Yomi Yomi no Mi||Soru Soru no Mi||Yomi Yomi no Mi's user's soul energy is able to force-release souls from regular Homies, though not from Special Homies.|
|Memo Memo no Mi||Soru Soru no Mi||Original soul owner's memories briefly return to Homies affected by the Memo Memo no Mi.|
|Mochi Mochi no Mi/
Ame Ame no Mi
|Gomu Gomu no Mi||Gomu Gomu no Mi techniques are matched, mimicked, and suppressed.|
|Kibi Kibi no Mi||SMILE||Tama is able to tame the 10% of SMILE users who gained animal powers.|
Myths and Misconceptions
Due to the rarity and mysterious nature of the Devil Fruits, many rumors surround their existence. Particularly remote regions of the four cardinal Blues or isolated nations such as Wano Country often lack knowledge of the fruits, believing them to be a myth entirely or attributing their powers to pure magic. The following is a list of various myths and misconceptions about Devil Fruits in the world.
- As stated by Shanks, Devil Fruit are considered by some to be "incarnations" (化身 keshin?) of the Sea Devil (海の悪魔 Umi no Akuma?).
- Jabra believed a rumor that Devil Fruit users housed actual devils inside them. According to the rumor, if a Devil Fruit user went near an uneaten Devil Fruit, a devil would come out of the fruit and rip the user apart. This rumor has been debunked by research.
- In Amazon Lily, the citizens are unaware of the existence of Devil Fruits. The ruling Gorgon Sisters are believed to have gained their Mero Mero no Mi and Hebi Hebi no Mi abilities from a curse cast by a creature known as the "Gorgon".
- Vander Decken IX refers to his Mato Mato no Mi ability as the "Mato Mato Curse". Sugar's Hobi Hobi no Mi is also called the "Hobi Hobi Curse" by its victims.
- The Tontatta Tribe of Green Bit refer to Devil Fruit abilities as Magic (奇術 Kijutsu?).
- In Wano Country, Devil Fruit abilities are considered Sorcery (妖術 Yōjutsu?) or Ninjutsu. Devil Fruit users are called Sorcery Users (妖術使い Yōjutsu Tsukai?).
Dr. Vegapunk, a Marine scientist and the world’s most prominent researcher of Devil Fruits, is heavily responsible for the research into the effects of Devil Fruits' and Seastone. It was Vegapunk who discovered that Devil Fruits work by effecting the Lineage Factor.
Caesar Clown stated that he has done numerous experiments on his own Devil Fruit, insinuating that he managed to enhance its power after consumption. He has not yet explained what his research was or how he did it though.
Inanimate Object Devil Fruit Users
Some years before the current timeline, Dr. Vegapunk discovered a technique that allows one to make an inanimate object (such as a gun or a sword) to "eat" a Devil Fruit and gain it’s power. The details of this process have not yet been revealed. So far, Zoan is the only type of Devil Fruit that inanimate objects have been shown as being able to absorb. Inanimate object Zoans seem to be very loyal to whomever owns them.
Objects that have "ingested" a Zoan Fruit gain the mobility, abilities, and intelligence of the animal they turn into. This can be a drawback, as the object also gains a living creature's ability to feel pain and fear, and becomes susceptible to disease.
The technique that allows an object to eat a Zoan fruit is not limited to solid materials, gaseous slime can also be used as a medium.
Artificial Devil Fruits
With scientists learning more about how Devil Fruits work, it became possible for Artificial Devil Fruits to be created. Like real Devil Fruits, they grant powers to the consumer and take away the consumers ability to swim. Dr. Vegapunk created a synthesized Devil Fruit, though it was said to be flawed for unknown reasons.
Caesar Clown managed to create his own version of artificial Devil Fruits where Vegapunk failed; they are called SMILEs. They allow the eater to gain Zoan-like animal attributes, however they have a severe flaw: only 10% of the people who eat them could attain a Zoan-transformation, while the remaining 90%, in addition to not gaining any powers, will lose not just their ability to swim, but also their ability to express any emotions other that joy, forcing them to constantly smile and laugh, even if it contradicts their true feelings.
The manufacturing process of SMILE Fruits involved having luminescent sunflowers provide light to the trees growing the fruits while SAD is poured into a river leading into irrigation canals which then channel the river under the trees in order to feed them the chemical.
Many, if not all Artificial Devil Fruits appear to be greatly inferior in strength compared to real Devil Fruits.
- Further information: Rumble Ball
Tony Tony Chopper, during his six year apprenticeship under Dr. Kureha, created a special drug called the "Rumble Ball". It temporarily enhances the effects of the users Devil Fruit, granting them additional powers. The Rumble Ball works by "disrupting the wavelength" of the Devil Fruit.
When consumed by a Zoan user, the Rumble Ball will grant the user additional transformations that they would normally not be able to achieve. It is currently unknown what the effect would be if the Rumble Ball was consumed by a Logia or Paramecia user.
A Devil fruit user should take no more than one Rumble Ball every six hours. If one were to take a second Rumble Ball, they would gain the extra powers, but would not be able to control them. A third Rumble Ball would cause the persons Devil Fruit power to go completely out of control, something that is potentially deadly to friends, foes, and user alike.
It is possible for a Devil Fruit user to utilize the additional powers granted by the Rumble Ball without actually taking the drug. Something that Chopper was able to achieve after two years of training and research. Additionally, once this level of mastery is achieved, a Devil Fruit user can access the power of three Rumble Balls by taking only one, and control that immense power for a short time as well.
Early One Piece
In Eiichiro Oda's first and second Romance Dawn prototypes, the Gomu Gomu no Mi was depicted near-identically to its counterpart in One Piece proper. However, both prototypes gave its origins as a "legend tree" (幻の木 Maboroshi no ki?) that appeared once every fifty years, with no implications of similar or related fruits.
Manga and Anime Influences
The rumor that Jabra recounted about Devil Fruits housing actual devils is similar to the Hindu belief about belerics; because of this the Hindus of Northern India avoids the trees and will not sit in its shade. However, Beleric fruit is also known for its medicinal properties and is used by Hindu physicians for various ailments.
The other part of Jabra's rumor about the fruit's devil tearing out and killing the consumer from within is similar to another Hindu legend, particularly the version in Villivakkam, about two rakshasa brothers: Vatapi would take the shape of a fruit or meat and Ilvala would offer the "food" to innocent mendicants passing by. Vatapi would come out by tearing through the victim's body. However, this failed against Agastya.
Translation and Dub Issues
Many of the fruits are named after highly specific Japanese concepts and onomatopoeia (or shortenings thereof), rendering direct translations awkward if not impossible. The Mera Mera no Mi, for instance, is named for the "crackling" sounds of a fire; all licensed English translations name it after synonyms for fire itself.
The 4Kids-dubbed anime renames the fruits as a whole to "Curséd Fruits" (pronounced as two distinct syllables) to avoid the reference to the devil, which some religious viewers may have found offensive.
- According to Pell, there are five known types of abilities that allow the users to take flight. Currently eleven canon, non-artificial fruits have been seen that allow the user to achieve full, independent flight: one Paramecia (the Guru Guru no Mi), six Zoan (Tori Tori no Mi, Model: Falcon, Tori Tori no Mi, Model: Phoenix, Mushi Mushi no Mi, Model: Kabutomushi, Mushi Mushi no Mi, Model: Suzumebachi, Ryu Ryu no Mi, Model: Pteranodon, and Ryu Ryu no Mi, Model: Triceratops), and two Logia (Moku Moku no Mi and Gasu Gasu no Mi), as well as Laffitte's and Karasu's unclassified fruits. Additionally, there are three non-canon fruits that grant this ability, all of which are Zoan type: Tori Tori no Mi, Model: Eagle, Batto Batto no Mi, Model: Vampire, and Tori Tori no Mi, Model: Nue.
- Marshall D. Teach is the only person to have two Devil Fruit powers at the same time.
- Charlotte Brûlée is able to use another Devil Fruit power while mirroring another Devil Fruit user. She has been shown to mimic the Gomu Gomu no Mi and Gasu Gasu no Mi powers.
- Certain Devil Fruits are noted to be unique or special, even for their respective classes. Such include:
- The Goro Goro no Mi, which has been deemed as one of the few "invincible" Devil Fruits, though Luffy was able to counteract it with his rubbery physiology.
- The Yami Yami no Mi, which has been claimed to be "unique", even for a Logia. Teach even stated that it was the "true power of the Devil" and is the most evil of all Devil Fruits.
- The Gura Gura no Mi, which has been called the strongest Paramecia, equal to a Logia. Sengoku stated that it was powerful enough to destroy the world.
- The Magu Magu no Mi, which is stated to be one of the highest offensive powers among all Devil Fruits.
- The Ope Ope no Mi, which has been called the "Ultimate Devil Fruit" due to its ability to grant eternal life.
- The Tama Tama no Mi, which is the only canon named Devil Fruit to not be officially categorized as one of the three types, as it has features from Paramecia, Zoan and Logia.
- The Mochi Mochi no Mi, which was first introduced as a Logia in the Shonen Jump release, would later be identified in Volume 86 as a "special" Paramecia by Jinbe.
- Other than the normal weakness to being submerged in water, some fruit powers are weakened by contact with any form of liquid:
- Masked Deuce is the only person known to have eaten a "powerless" natural Devil Fruit—the Mera Mera no Mi—as Portgas D. Ace had already taken the first bite.
- Similar to how Devil Fruits have a bad taste, some Devil Fruits such as the Fude Fude no Mi and Kuku Kuku no Mi have been noted to make food that tastes bad.
- Devil Fruits have existed since the Void Century, since Kozuki Toki was born during that period and traveled to the future thanks to the Toki Toki no Mi.
- Interestingly, an inability to swim was common to real-life sailors—including pirates—in pre-modern times, and some nautical superstitions openly discouraged learning the skill. Modern authorities ascribe this to a combination of such sailors having mostly inland backgrounds, and the fatalistic belief that men overboard could not expect rescue (so swimming could only prolong their suffering).
- In an SBS question, a reader asked if he could get Luffy's Gomu Gomu no Mi powers by eating Luffy. Oda answered no, and that he would get food poisoning instead.
- Whenever a filler Devil Fruit is going to be used in a filler arc, the writers ask permission to use it from the author, Eiichiro Oda. In an SBS, Oda described the process as "Basically, all that happens is that the anime's scriptwriters come up with powers that they want to use in the story, and I say 'Yeah, that sounds good', or 'No, sorry, I want to use that one in the future'. That's all."