The Doku Doku no Mi is a Paramecia-type Devil Fruit that grants the user the ability to produce and control different types of poison, as well as grants immunity to all forms of poison, making the user a Poison Human (毒人間 Doku Ningen?). It was eaten by Magellan.
This ability is not to be confused with a Logia-type power, as the user cannot transform their body into poison.
- Doku (毒?) means "poison" or "toxicant" in Japanese (and can also mean general harm or evil influence/malice).
- In the VIZ translation and Funimation subs, it is called the Venom-Venom Fruit, venom being a poisonous substance created within animals.
Strengths and Weaknesses
This Devil Fruit power allows the user to create and control a wide range of poisons that can vary in strength and form: ranging from a mild irritant, to a strong paralyzing agent, to a deadly and highly corrosive toxin. The user can produce these poisons in both liquid and gaseous states. The user also becomes totally immune to any and all poisons, be it their own or an external toxin.
The user can create massive amounts of liquid poison that they can shape into a gigantic monstrous entity, such as a hydra or a demon. A large amount of poison can also be used as a means of transportation, allowing the user to travel through it like a pneumatic tube. The user can also cover themself with a thick layer of liquid poison, giving them a virtual suit of armor. Said armor does not offer much fortitude, but it does dissuade opponents from attacking the user directly for fear of being poisoned.
If a victim is affected by just one type of poison produced by this power, it can usually be cured rather easily, given the right antidote is used. However, if they suffer an accumulation of different types of poison simultaneously, producing an appropriate antidote becomes a much more daunting, if not impossible task. Furthermore, any rash attempts to cure the ailments brought upon by the poisoning can actually hasten the death of the victim.
The most powerful poison the power can produce is called Kinjite, which Magellan himself has stated is powerful enough to "destroy Impel Down itself". Not only is this poison more lethal and fast-acting than most, it also spreads out from any surface it touches, literally "infecting" everything, including stone.
While the user is completely immune to poison and its negative effects (death, paralysis, sensory distortion, etc.), the user's body is not able to process poison. If the user consumes poison, the tainted food would afflict the user with excessive diarrhea. Magellan in particular likes to add poison to his food for flavor, causing him to spend approximately 10 hours a day on the toilet. This is a big problem for him since he loves to eat poisoned food.
As another weakness, it is shown that fire has some neutralizing effect on the liquid poison the user makes. Certain materials, like Mr. 3's wax, are also resistant to the poisons; the special Kinjite poison creatable by the user, however, is so potent that it is able to bypass said wax and go through even stone (given its possible acidity).
A mix of different poisons is almost certain death, however some people can be cured of the poison if their body's natural strength is pushed. In cases where the victim has survived the poison, either by sheer luck or by being put through an accelerated healing process, they may develop antibodies that makes them greatly (though not absolutely) resistant to further poisoning. Additionally, the large amount of poison generated makes the user a threat to allies, and even nearby bystanders can, for example, start suffocating on the user's toxic breath if the user is careless while using their abilities.
Other than that, the user is also affected by the standard Devil Fruit weaknesses.
The fruit's bestowed powers, as demonstrated by Magellan, have been used in a variety of ways. With the fruit's powers, Magellan is able to enjoy a poisoned meal without the risk of dying. Instead, the poison adds flavor to the food for him. The only problem with this, however, is that while the poisoned food will not kill him, it gives him a severe case of diarrhea. His level of diarrhea may be related to the amount of poison he consumes.
When putting up with Hannyabal's antics, or any complaints from others, Magellan often uses the simplest form of offense the Devil Fruit provides, his own breath turned into poison. With this, he simply breathes mild poison gas on his subordinates to put them back into place.
When serious, Magellan can use the fruit's powers to attack by producing and manipulating poison from his body. With this, he can promptly exercise his authority on prisoners as their executioner. Magellan can simply poison someone by breathing or using a complex move.
To prevent his enemies from running away or to trap them, Magellan can use his liquid poison to create a wall to block the exits of a building. Any object used to break Magellan's poison door simply goes into the poison which absorbs and dissolves it. However, Blackbeard could absorb the poison with his darkness, proving this blockade is not absolute.
In battle, Magellan can coat himself in liquid poison to serve as armor, preventing any opponent from easily landing any direct physical attack without getting poisoned in the process. Despite being coated, Magellan has enough control over his powers to enable him to delicately handle small objects while in this state, as seen when he held a Baby Den Den Mushi close to his face with his armor active without killing it.
Aside from lethal poison, Magellan can also produce different types of poison that affect his opponents' senses. He can also transfer his poison through his false horn boxing gloves, which can pierce or slash his targets, and at the same time dissolve them.
- Hydra (
毒竜Hidora?, literally meaning "Poison Dragon"): Magellan's signature technique. After producing vast amounts of liquid purple-blue poison from his body, Magellan is able manipulate it in the form of a liquid-like acidic kinetic construct three-headed dragon. It seems that it can even separate itself from Magellan to pursue escaping foes. Alternatively, he can produce liquid poison in the shape of a dragon head from his arm which can extend to attack a single opponent. With this creature, Magellan is able to engulf any opponent in deadly poison. The level of toxicity is so overwhelming that it causes the victim to dissolve. The poison affects the nervous system, paralyzing the victim and making them suffer excruciating pain until they die. This technique seems to be very infamous within the walls of Impel Down, as the prisoners all know and fear its name and properties. Fire seems to neutralize the liquid the Hydra is made of and prevents it from completely reforming. Should one of its heads be burned, it does not completely recover even when Magellan retracts the creature back into his body. This concept is similar to the weakness of the Greek mythological Hydra for which the technique is named after. While the Hydra could regrow a severed head, it could not if the base of the head was burned. This was first seen being used on a prisoner. In the anime, this attack appears to be self aware, distracted by Mr. 2 posing as Luffy.
- Venom Road (
毒の道Benomu Rōdo?, literally meaning "Poisonous Path"): While producing his Hydra, Magellan completely engulfs himself in the liquid poison. While engulfed, Magellan quickly travels within one of his Hydra's necks and out of its mouth to where he wants to go. Magellan has also used this for travel. This was first seen while battling against Luffy. This is similar to Admiral Kizaru's "Yata no Kagami", albeit at a much slower speed in comparison.
- Venom Road (
- Chloro Ball (
毒ガス弾Kurorobōru?, literally meaning "Poison Gas Bullet"): After chewing and blowing up some of his poison much like a bubble gum, Magellan spits a blue bubble at high speed towards an enemy. Upon impact, the bubble explodes and releases a cloud of poison gas. The gas acts like tear gas and causes severe sneezing, and immobilizes the enemy and anyone else near the vicinity. The name comes from chlorobenzalmalononitrile, or CS tear gas. This was first seen being used against Luffy. In the Funimation dub, this is called Chloroform Ball.
- Doku Fugu (毒フグ Doku Fugu?, literally translated as "Poison Blowfish"): Taking a deep breath, Magellan inflates his body slightly in order to withstand a physical blow. This is apparently strong enough to withstand against a Gear Second attack. While in this stance, Magellan can blow poisonous liquid bubbles with similar properties to the Hydra. This technique is named after the poison blowfish and its defensive ability against predators. Its principle is similar to Luffy's Gomu Gomu no Fusen technique. The name of this attack is a pun as "fugu" has different meanings, such as "emergency", "deformation", and "pufferfish". This was first seen being used against Luffy. In the anime, Magellan did not inflate his body like a balloon for defensive purposes, but instead just shot poisonous liquid bullets at his opponent. This is called Poison Blowfish in the VIZ translation and Venom Blowfish in the Funimation dub.
- Doku Gumo (毒・雲 Doku Gumo?, literally meaning "Poison Cloud"): Breathing out large amounts of his poisonous breath, Magellan creates a fog-like cover in an area. This poisonous fog not only blurs the sight of any opponent caught within in, but also slowly weakens them as well, by gradually robbing away their strength, eyesight, and hearing. This attack's name contains a pun since "gumo" can also mean "spider" and when first released the shape of the cloud resembles a spider. This was first seen being used against Luffy. In the anime, Magellan claims that the fog is a part of him, and that it is alive, supported when Luffy blew the fog away, it simply reformed around him. This is called Poison Spider Cloud in the VIZ translation and Venom Cloud in the Funimation dub.
- Venom Demon: Jigoku no Shinpan (
毒の巨兵地獄の審判 Benomu Dēmon Jigoku no Shinpan?, literally meaning "Poisonous Giant Soldier: Hell's Judgment"): Magellan's ultimate attack. He produces an enormous amount of liquid poison, that he calls Kinjite (禁じ手 Kinjite?, literally meaning "Forbidden Hand"), and, from it, he forms into a massive devil-like entity that mimics his every movement, with its head and hands resemble those of Magellan's. The color of this poison liquid is crimson-colored and releases a noxious smoke to go along with it. The poison made from this attack is so toxic that it affects even non-organic objects, with the poison spreading like a disease over everything that makes contact with it, even if not directly, and seems to kill the afflicted victims right away once the infection spreads all the way throughout the body (which seems to be at a very rapid rate). Magellan claimed that this technique is potent enough to destroy all of Impel Down. The name of the poison, "Kinjite", comes from the term for "foul moves" in sumo wrestling. In the anime, Magellan did not explain the powers of the Venom Demon, nor name the Kinjite poison, but its effects were obvious regardless. In the VIZ translation, this is called Venom Demon! Judgment of Hell, and in the Funimation dub this is called Venom Demon! Hell's Judgment.
Anime and Manga Differences
In the anime, when Magellan deactivates his liquid poison armor, it seemed to instantly disappear, rather than ooze away. Similarly, the Kinjite poison also disappeared rather than retract into his body or ooze away.
- When Magellan talks to himself, there is a little pun stated by Hannyabal in response. The Japanese word for soliloquy is dokuhaku (独白?), with doku (独?) meaning "alone". The doku part, however, as stated by Hannyabal, is replaced with a different doku (毒?), meaning "poison".
- This Devil Fruit endows similar abilities to other powers in the series:
- It is similar to the Gasu Gasu no Mi as both involve poisonous substances and gases.
- It is similar to the non-canon Noko Noko no Mi, which also manipulates poison (but in the form of spores).
- The fruit user's ability to both produce and resist poison is similar to Vinsmoke Reiju's ability to secrete poison in battle, and to neutralize poisons she consumes.
- This fruit is one of the few Paramecia often confused as a Logia-type Devil Fruit, because it seemingly produces an "element". However, it is not a Logia because the user cannot transform into the said element, but rather just generate it. However, the Doku Doku no Mi is one of the most unique Paramecia Devil Fruits in the series, giving the user the unnatural ability to cover their entire body with poison constantly and also gain immunity to many melee attacks and all poisons. It was confirmed by Caesar Clown much later, who stated that the Doku Doku no Mi is a Paramecia.
- This is the first Devil Fruit so far in the series to be named and explained before its power is demonstrated.
- Poison – Wikipedia article about poison.
- Food Poisoning – Wikipedia article about affliction Magellan has due to his Devil Fruit.