Drum Island is a Winter Island in Paradise. It is the location of the Sakura Kingdom, formerly known as the Drum Kingdom, the birthplace of Tony Tony Chopper, and the setting of the Drum Island Arc. It was the third island on the Grand Line visited by the Straw Hat Pirates.
The local kingdom of Drum Island was formerly known as the Drum Kingdom, and was ruled by Wapol's family. During Wapol's reign, he fled the country after an attack from the Blackbeard Pirates, leaving the kingdom without a ruler. Wapol later tried to return and take the kingdom back by force but was defeated by Monkey D. Luffy. Dalton was then elected king by the population.
- Current Ruler: Dalton
- Former Rulers: Wapol, Wapol's father
- Important People: Tony Tony Chopper (Pirate, Doctor), Kureha (Doctor), Hiriluk (Doctor), Isshi-100 (Doctor Group), Chess (Former Minister of Defense), Kuromarimo (Former Magistrate)
- Current Affiliation: Straw Hat Pirates, World Government
- Poneglyph: No
- Population: Unknown
Layout and Locations
Drum Island is an extremely snowy country, with absolutely freezing temperatures that can be felt even from the surrounding seas. There's a river that cuts deep into the island and where a waterfall of snow flows into. The ground is always covered in thick snow, making locomotion difficult for those not adapted to it, and avalanches may be triggered by the local fauna.
The country features a series of drum shaped mountains known as the Drum Rockies. The Drum Castle is located at the summit of the largest of the Drum Rockies, Drum Rock, at the very center of the island. The Drum Ropeway functions as a way of travel between the Drum Castle and the rest of the kingdom. Bighorn, Cocoa Weed, Gyasta and Robelle are some of the villages found in the island. Most fast travel between towns seems to be done through animal-pulled sleds or steeds.
After the events of the Drum Island Arc, the Drum Kingdom, as the country was previously known, was rebranded to Sakura Kingdom, in homage to Dr. Hiriluk. The kingdom now features pinkish snow that resembles the petals of Sakura trees, thanks to a special red powder created by the late Hiriluk that was shot into the island's atmosphere.
- Bighorn: The village where Dalton lived and escorted the Straw Hat Pirates to after their arrival. He also later fought Wapol here.
- Cocoa Weed: One of Kureha's known stops. She treated Tamachibi here.
- Gyasta: A lakeside town known for its ice-skating. Kureha used to live on its outskirts before moving to Drum Castle.
- Robelle: The town visited by Portgas D. Ace, who was looking for Luffy at the time.
- Drum Rockies: The main landmark of the island. A chain of drum-shaped mountains that tower over the entire kingdom. The tallest one is called Drum Rock.
- Drum Castle: The kingdom's royal castle, located at the top of Drum Rock. It was later converted into a medical center and academy.
- Drum Ropeway: A tram-way system that connects the Drum Castle to the rest of the kingdom.
|King Dalton||Wapol's Father †||King Wapol ‡||Prince Musshuru ‡ ≠|
|Tony Tony Chopper ‡||Kureha||Hiriluk †||Chess *||Kuromarimo *|
|Robson||Negikuma Maria||Tamachibi's Father||Tamachibi||Isshi-100|
|Hiking Bear||Lapahns||Snow Birds||Reindeers|
- †: the character is deceased.
- *: the character's status is unknown, or show additional information. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
- ≠: the character is non-canon.
- ‡: the character is no longer part of this group. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
When the Sakura Kingdom was the Drum Kingdom, it was ruled by the royal family of Drum Island. It once had a kind ruler and many of the greatest doctors on the Grand Line. However, when the king and his son died, Wapol came into power, things took a turn for the worse. Wapol issued that the twenty best doctors had to work exclusively for him (the Isshi-20), while the rest of the doctors were banished or killed.
Then, the Blackbeard Pirates came and invaded the island, and Wapol fled in fear. Since then, Drum Island was left without a ruling government, and Dr. Kureha took residence in his castle. When Wapol came back to try to retake his kingdom, it was also the same time when the Straw Hat Pirates landed on the island, looking for a doctor to help a sick Nami. Wapol then tried to destroy Dr. Hiriluk's flag which was standing on top of Drum Castle. In response to this, Luffy used Gomu Gomu no Bazooka to knock Wapol out of the kingdom.
After Wapol was blown away by Luffy, the people of the kingdom decided to make Dalton the king, who decided to erase the bitter effect of Wapol's actions by renaming the kingdom "Sakura" in memory of Dr. Hiriluk and his goal of using the sakura to cure all diseases of the heart. The new kingdom also uses Dr. Hiriluk's Jolly Roger as the flag.
- According to Rurubu One Piece, Drum Island was inspired by America.
- The first two Zoan-type Devil Fruit users in the series came from this Island.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 15 Chapter 132 and Episode 79, Drum Island makes its debut.
- One Piece Color Walk 2, Drum Island's name is romanized.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 17 Chapter 146 (p. 12), 50Fº below temperature is mentioned.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 16 Chapter 137 (p. 1), The Lapahns start an avalanche.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 15 Chapter 133 (p. 9).
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 15 Chapter 136 (p. 4) and Episode 82, Usopp and Vivi travel around Drum Island.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 17 Chapter 153 (p. 17), Pink snow falls into Drum.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 64 Chapter 636, cover story: From the Decks of the World Vol. 20.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 65 Chapter 637, cover story: From the Decks of the World Vol. 21.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 15 Chapters 133–134 and Episode 80, Dalton explains how Wapol and his men abandoned Drum when the Blackbeard Pirates attacked.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 17 Chapter 151 and Episode 89, Wapol is sent flying far off from Drum by Luffy.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 17 Chapter 154 and Episode 91.