Funkfreed is Spandam's sword, a unique weapon that "ate" the Zou Zou no Mi and became an Elephant Sword (象剣 Zōken?). As such, he also serves as a pet and unofficial bodyguard for Spandam, compensating his master's physical slightness.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 Abilities and Powers
- 4 History
- 5 Anime and Manga Differences
- 6 Major Battles
- 7 Merchandise
- 8 Trivia
- 9 References
- 10 External Links
- 11 Site Navigation
Untransformed, Funkfreed appears as a large and intimidating cutlass-esque sword, typically slung over-the-shoulder by Spandam. Only a few vestiges of his animal form—most notably a pair of tusks set into the hilt, and a tail-shaped pommel—are visible.
Fully transformed, he appears as a gentle, friendly-looking elephant, about one or two heads taller than Spandam. Much of his upper body is covered by an elaborate leather harness vaguely resembling a jhul cloth (with headgear somewhat similar to Spandam's mask). His hide is an ordinary stone-gray (white in the anime).
In his hybrid form, his head and upper torso (notably smaller than those of his full-beast form) extend from the hilt in a serpent-like manner, with the blade melding into his trunk.
Funkfreed is a peaceable, devoted animal, effectively Spandam's closest (if not only) friend. As such, he tends to be physically affectionate in peacetime, and obedient during battle; however, he is not a particularly brave combatant, and will easily surrender if placed in direct danger.
Abilities and Powers
As a sword empowered by the Zou Zou no Mi, Funkfreed carries all the standard abilities of Zoan-type Devil Fruit, and can transform between an elephant-sword hybrid and a full elephant at Spandam's command. This grants him the size and strength of an elephant, the sharpness and durability of a steel blade, and a sentient mind able to strategize between the two; his hybrid form is particularly flexible, and well-trained enough to ram opponents in tight spaces without any fatal damage.
However, given that Spandam has virtually no ability as a swordsman, most of Funkfreed's asset lies in catching others by surprise. His capacities for open battle amount to little, his temperament even less.
Water 7 Saga
Water 7 Arc
Enies Lobby Arc
After the Water 7 team returned, Funkfreed passively witnessed the detained Nico Robin and Franky, a Golden Den Den Mushi being flaunted by Spandam, and even the Straw Hat Pirates' initial storming of Enies Lobby. He was not called on to act until the Straw Hats breached the Tower of Justice; panicked by their success, Spandam immediately began forcing Robin to a Marine Headquarters convoy on the island's far coast, bringing Funkfreed (reverted to sword form) and Lucci as guards.
Once Lucci separated to head off Monkey D. Luffy's pursuit, Spandam was forced to use Funkfreed alone to stop Robin's escape attempts. While initially successful, Funkfreed faltered when Franky caught up to them on the Bridge of Hesitation; outmatched by the cyborg's strength and threatened with a point-blank Weapons Left, he quickly surrendered and retreated to his full-elephant form, whereupon Franky grabbed him by the trunk and tossed him atop Spandam.
Four Emperors Saga
One Piece Film: Gold
Spandam appears to have kept Funkfreed (or a superficially similar sword) after his transfer to CP0. During his attack on Gran Tesoro, he attempted to use the sword to execute a Seastone-chained Luffy, only to be intercepted by Rikka.
Concludes non-canon section.
Anime and Manga Differences
The anime initially depicted Funkfreed with a white hide (possibly as a deliberate reference to the "white" elephants revered in various South Asian cultures)—a fact later contradicted by Volume 42's cover, which colored him a more conventional gray. Much later, the Episode of Merry special redesigned him to match the manga's color scheme.
- According to an SBS column, Spandam has owned an elephant since childhood. Whether this was in fact Funkfreed remains unknown.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 42 Chapter 400 (p. 6) and Episode 285, Funkfreed is revealed to be a sword that has absorbed a Zoan-type devil fruit.
- One Piece Blue Deep: Characters World (p. 144), His birthday is revealed.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 40 Chapter 379 (p. 10) and Episode 266, Spandam talks about the "special sword" he possesses that makes up for his lack of physical strength.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 44 Chapter 423 (p. 7-11) and Episode 306, Funkfreed is unleashed on Robin, only for Franky to hold back his charge, threaten him into surrender, and use him as a club against his own master.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 38 Chapter 365 and Episode 254.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 40 Chapter 379 and Episode 267.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 40 Chapter 386 (p. 2-3) and Episode 272.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 42 Chapter 400 and Episode 285.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 43 Chapter 413 (p. 2-3) and Episode 297.
- One Piece Movie — One Piece Film: Gold.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 42, Funkfreed is shown to be gray colored in volume 42's cover.
- One Piece Anime — Episode of Merry, Funkfreed's color scheme matches that from the volume cover.
- SBS One Piece Manga — Vol. 44 (p. 86).
- Elephant – Wikipedia article about elephants.
- White Elephant – Wikipedia article about White Elephants.