Appearance[edit | edit source]
Ganryu is a tall, muscular man with broad shoulders, thin legs, and a thin nose. He has dark-colored hair with three spikes down the middle and a prominent widow's peak. He has a three-pronged goatee and a mustache that connects to his sideburns. He wears a dark-colored coat with a light-colored belt around his waist. He also wears light-colored pants and dark-colored boots that are curled at the tip of the toes.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Ganryu is loyal to his captain and crew, as he charged into battle with them. Ganryu is also rather perceptive, as he picked up on Kozuki Oden's discomfort when he began sensing the Road Poneglyph on Zou and offered for Oden to return to their ship if he wasn't feeling well.
Abilities and Powers[edit | edit source]
Weapons[edit | edit source]
Ganryu fights in combat with spiked gloves.
History[edit | edit source]
Past[edit | edit source]
At some point, Ganryu joined the Roger Pirates.
When the Roger Pirates defeated a battalion of Marines and spotted the Whitebeard Pirates approaching them, Ganryu joined his comrades as the two crews battled each other for four days until the fight settled into a gift exchange.
The crew gained Oden after the confrontation, and they sailed to many destinations including Skypiea, Water 7, Fish-Man Island, Wano Country, and Zou. During their adventures, Ganryu was seen enjoying a hot spring with his crewmates. On Zou, Ganryu noticed when Oden sensed the Road Poneglyph and suggested that he could go back to the ship if he was not feeling well. The crew made it to the final island and laughed when they saw the treasure left behind by Joy Boy.
After departing from the island, named Laugh Tale by Roger, Ganryu and the crew had a party before tearfully bidding farewell to their captain. They then took Oden back to his home in Wano. and after the crew tearfully said goodbye to Oden as well, the Roger Pirates disbanded. It is unknown what became of Ganryu.
Major Battles[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The two kanji of Ganryu's name together mean "Eye Dragon". They make Ganryu one of few characters with a Japanese-sounding name given actual kanji instead of just katakana.
- Coincidentally, the Spade Pirates, captained by Roger's son Portgas D. Ace, also had a member called Ganryu.
References[edit | edit source]
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 96 Chapter 966 (p. 7), Ganryu and the Roger Pirates fight the Whitebeard Pirates.
- SBS One Piece Manga — Vol. 96 (p. 154), Ganryu is named by Oda.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 96 Chapter 967 (p. 14), Ganryu notices Oden sense the Road Poneglyph on Zou.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 96 Chapter 967 (p. 18-19), The Roger Pirates journey to Laugh Tale.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 96 Chapter 968 (p. 4-7), The Roger Pirates disband.