Gigantification refers to the process of enhancing the size of organic beings via artificial means.
Gigantification is the procedure to turn naturally born regular-sized people into giants via the means of scientific methods. To date, the perfected version of gigantification has been considered to be impossible to achieve. This is a long-sought process to mankind, as Caesar Clown noted that any scientist who can achieve it would be famed and sought after.
The most practical use of gigantification is for military purposes. According to Trafalgar Law, the reason the World Government has been researching the process is the ability to freely create giant soldiers. If they were to succeed in creating armies of giants, no one could stand up to them.
However, by Caesar's grudging admission, outright turning people into giants without any side-effects is impossible by scientific means. He believes that taking advantage of children's growth by using drugs is a more practical process, although this would reduce their lifespan from the strain, and even Caesar admits his inability to ensure sustained health and longevity.
At some point, at least twenty years ago, a research was undertaken on Punk Hazard in an attempt to recreate ancient giants. The subjects, although gaining sizes and strengths comparable to genuine ancient giants, were deemed as failures for reasons yet to be explained. Kaido eventually recruited these failures, all of whom became the subdivision of the Beasts Pirates known as Numbers, and they seemingly have lived on Onigashima since.
Recent Marine Researches
|— Caesar Clown on gigantification.|
Caesar Clown, Vegapunk's former colleague and second-best rival, managed to achieve something of gigantification, which is mainly to force large quantities of dangerous drugs and chemicals into children who are in the midst of their growth period. Although this actually turned his test subjects into giants, this also resulted in many side effects that would lead to their demise in about five years. Because of his unethical and impractical methodology, the Marines rejected his experiments, and even used it as grounds to terminate his tenure.
After Caesar was kicked out of the Marines, he continued with his unethical experiments on gigantification, due to the accompanying fame of success and the chance to outdo the Government and Vegapunk. The Emperor, Charlotte Linlin, commissioned him to this research, funding him, in order to fulfill her dream of having a tea party with her family of all races on eye-level, since her size is comparable to that of a giant, surpassing her many children; after a failed arranged marriage for her 23rd daughter to the prince of Elbaf, Linlin have given up on reconciling with real giants due to their unbreakable hatred for her, and she decided to focus on gigantifying her family via artificial means instead. Caesar, however, only experimented on children in their growth periods, and cannot work out the side-effect of deteriorating health and lifespan. He long since accepted that it is impossible to create a procedure to turn normal humans of any age into giants without any adversity, but repeatedly lied to Linlin by saying he needs more funding to achieve the breakthrough. He only spent a minimal effort on experimenting on the children, and the rest of the excess funds on a hedonistic lifestyle.
After Monkey D. Luffy and Trafalgar Law destroyed his lab at Punk Hazard, Caesar used this as an excuse to Linlin on how his "fruits of labor" have been destroyed and that he cannot reproduce it without the state-of-the-art laboratory built by the World Government. The Emperor, however, has long since recreated a replica of the lab via blueprints she acquired, and offered more funding for the scientist to replicate what was destroyed, and place the finishing touches on it. Having his lies turned on him, Caesar told her he could have the gigantification drug within two weeks at most, and instead was desperately thinking of a way to escape his situation. Linlin's first son, Charlotte Perospero, gave the scientist the two weeks to bring out what was promised, or face death. Caesar ultimately escaped thanks to the intervention of the Fire Tank Pirates.
- Some Devil Fruit users can use their powers to achieve Gigantification in some way:
- Monkey D. Luffy utilized his Gear Third.
- Gecko Moria can grow larger depending on how many shadows he absorbs into himself.
- Emporio Ivankov can enlarge his face to giant levels with the Horu Horu no Mi.
- Charlotte Smoothie can achieve a temporary Gigantification via her ability to absorb moisture into her own body.
- The silhouette seen when Law talks about the World Government's research on gigantification heavily resembles Oars. In the anime, three similar silhouettes are shown together, possibly referencing Little Oars Jr. or "Oars III".
- It was later revealed that part of the research on Punk Hazard was indeed intended to replicate the ancient giants subspecies.
- According to an SBS, if Ikue Otani (Chopper's Japanese voice actor) ate three Rumble Balls, then she would grow out to be a giant.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 67 Chapter 657 (p. 16-17) and Episode 582, The Straw Hat Pirates meet up with Caesar's gigantified children.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 83 Chapter 834 (p. 11-16) and Episode 795, Caesar and Linlin speak of the gigantification research.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 68 Chapter 668 (p. 8) and Episode 594, Law talks about gigantification.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 69 Chapter 684 (p. 17) and Episode 610, Caesar looks down on Vegapunk's refusal to use unethical methods of gigantification.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 69 Chapter 685 (p. 12) and Episode 611, Momonosuke overhears Caesar telling Monet how the giant children would expire in five years.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 96 Chapter 973 (p. 5), A Number is shown among the members of the Beasts Pirates as they chase the Nine Red Scabbards.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 98 Chapter 989 (p. 6-7).
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 85 Chapter 858 (p. 5-6) and Episode 827, Chiffon explains Linlin's reason for pursuing gigantification.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 87 Chapter 872 (p. 12), Caesar escapes from Big Mom's clutches.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 58 Chapter 571 (p. 12-13) and Episode 480, Sengoku referred Luffy's bodily expansion as "Gigantification".
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 89 Chapter 894 (p. 11-12) and Episode 868, Smoothie's increase in size is referred as "Gigantification" by her comrades.
- SBS One Piece Manga — Vol. 58 (p. 203), Fan question: "If you ate 3 rumble balls, what would happen? Please draw it. P.N. Chappy-"