Gryphon is a longer than average saber with a long green hilt and a circular beige guard, as well as a wide and thin guard around the hilt. Shanks keeps it in a blue sheathe on his right hip, even though he wields it with his right arm.
Gryphon is a durable and powerful sword, being capable of sustaining the clash with Whitebeard's bisento which made the heaven split apart, but without taking damage. When imbued with Haki, it was strong enough to block Sakazuki's magma fist without taking any damage.
Video Game Only
- "Strike for the New World" (新世界への一撃 Shin Sekai no Ichigeki?, literally meaning "Single Strike of the New World"): Shanks unsheathes Gryphon and raises it in the air, causing red lightning to rain down and strike the ground around him, before finishing the attack with an earth-shattering forward slash from his sword. Appears as Shanks' first special attack in One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3.
- "To the heights of piracy!" (海賊の高みへ！ Kaizoku no takami e!?): Shanks jabs Gryphon into the ground, unleashing red lightning from his Haki-infused sword (akin to his C3 final input and his C4), before sending the enemies flying with a horizontal swing of his Haki-infused sword, via a massive burst Haoshoku Haki. Appears as Shanks' second special attack in One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3.
- Red Hair: Shanks thrusts Gryphon forward which emits a small shockwave from the tip of the blade. Used by Shanks as one of his special attacks in One Piece: Burning Blood.
- Counter: A counterattack where Shanks counters an attack with an upward sword slash that knocks the opponent into the air. Used by Shanks as one of his special attacks in One Piece: Burning Blood.
- Charged Sword Assault: Shanks launches a chargeable sword slash. Used as a special attack by Shanks in Shanks (Strong World) and One Piece: Burning Blood. A similar move predates it in Pirate Warriors 3 as Shank's C3 second input.
- Heaven Splitter: Shanks unsheathes Gryphon and charges towards the opponent and delivers a powerful slash to the opponent (strong enough to leave an impact of the slash on the surrounding terrain), then Shanks tells his opponent to beat it (his face showing the same glare he used on the Lord of the Coast) then raises Gryphon into the air followed by a burst of Haoshoku Haki, before slashing the opponent with a downward slash that produces a huge shockwave. This is Shanks' Ultimate Attack in One Piece: Burning Blood.
- It is named after the legendary creature of the same name, which is also known as a "griffin".
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 25 Chapter 234 (p. 15) and Episode 151, Gryphon is first seen at Shanks' hip.
- ↑ SBS One Piece Manga — Vol. 87, Oda names Shanks' sword Gryphon.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 45 Chapter 434 (p. 15-16) and Episode 316.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 59 Chapter 579 (p. 14-15) and Episode 488.