Gyoru is an average sized middle aged man with black hair, a widow's peak, and a spiky tuft of hair on the top of his head. He has small round eyes, thick eyebrows, and stubble on his chin. He has always been seen sporting a large smile. He wears a yellow shirt with a black apron over it and a pink rope tied around his head. 12 years ago, he lacked stubble.
Gyoru has had multiple color schemes in the anime. In all of his appearances in the anime he has brown hair instead of black. In his first appearance in Episode 45, his shirt was beige, his apron was green, and the rope around his head was pink. In Episode 504, his shirt was white with gray cuffs, his apron was brown, and the rope around his head was white. In Episode of East Blue, his shirt was gray, his apron was black, the rope around his head was white, and he also lacked the tuft of hair on his head.
Chicken is Gyoru's wife. They both run their fish shop together.
Romance Dawn Arc
When Luffy was still a kid and living in Foosha Village, he went to Gyoru and Chicken's fish shop to buy some fish. While Luffy was buying fish, Gyoru commented on how the kid was in such a good mood and then asked him if the Red Hair Pirates had left him behind again while they went on their journey. Gyoru then mentioned how Luffy could not swim anymore, to which Luffy responded happily that he was enjoying the other effects of the Gomu Gomu no Mi.
Ten years later, when Luffy had grown old enough to set sail, Gyoru laughed about how he had never expected Luffy to be serious about becoming a pirate. He then watched as Luffy took off on his journey.
Anime and Manga Differences
He is not depicted in the anime's original adaptation of Chapter 1, which compressed Luffy's backstory into a shorter flashback. However, he is included in several subsequent adaptations, such as Episode 504 and the Episode of East Blue special.
Ironically, his first appearance in the anime was one not (openly) depicted in the manga: in the prelude to the Loguetown Arc, where he is established as the villager that Woop Slap rebukes for celebrating Luffy's first bounty.
Translation and Dub Issues
- See One Piece World Top 100's East Blue section.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 1 Chapter 1 (p. 22, 48), Gyoru debuts in the manga. His scenes are excluded from the anime's first adaptation of this chapter, but included in some subsequent adaptations such as Episode of East Blue.
- One Piece Anime — Episode 45, Gyoru debuts in the anime.
- Vivre Card - One Piece Visual Dictionary (Card #0024 (Ex East Blue Saga Vol. 2)), Gyoru's birthday is revealed.
- One Piece Blue: Grand Data File (p. 33) , Gyoru's name is revealed.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 1 Chapter 1 (p. 48) and Episode 505, Gyoru sees Luffy off on his journey.