Haoshoku Haki is a rare form of Haki that allows the user to exert their own willpower over others. This type of Haki cannot be attained through training and only one in several million people are born with this ability.
- 1 Background
- 2 Haoshoku Haki Users
- 3 Usage
- 4 The Qualities of a King
- 5 Training
- 6 Anime and Manga Differences
- 7 Translation and Dub Issues
- 8 Trivia
- 9 References
- 10 Site Navigation
It was first demonstrated by Shanks, when he used it to scare off a Sea King, though it was not fully explained and revealed. Later on, during a meeting with Whitebeard, he used it to knock out most of the crew, which the few still standing attributed to his superior Haki.
Luffy first displayed the effects of this type of Haki against Duval's bull, Motobaro, much to everyone's confusion. He displayed it again on Amazon Lily while battling Sandersonia and Marigold, knocking out a large portion of the audience observing the match. This is also the first time it is referred to by name. Luffy also used it to knock out the wolves attacking him and Bentham in Impel Down, although he was poisoned badly by Magellan at the time and still had no control over it. Luffy exhibiting it during the Marineford War was enough for the Marine admirals to become wary enough of him that they prioritized his elimination afterward.
After the timeskip, Luffy is proficient enough to tame monsters, as well as knock out a selected group of individuals without affecting any of the bystanders using Haoshoku Haki, displaying his new-found proficiency in the skill. Luffy was even able to use it while unconscious.
It has been implied a number of times that this Haki is based on lineage. It is noted by Doberman, for example, that Luffy possessing Haoshoku Haki made sense since he is the son of the Monkey D. Dragon, the Leader of the Revolutionary Army. It is later shown that Portgas D. Ace, the son of former Pirate King Gol D. Roger, also had this Haki like his father. Charlotte Katakuri, the second son of Big Mom, is also shown to possess this Haki type just like his mother does. However, not all children from the same parent are born with Haoshoku Haki, as Donquixote Doflamingo, Boa Hancock and Katakuri are the only ones among their siblings to possess it.
It has been shown that when two users of this Haki clash, it causes a rippling or shockwave effect, cracking the air similar to the Gura Gura no Mi. This is simply referred to as a Haoshoku Clash (覇王色の衝突 Haō-shoku no Shōtotsu?, literally meaning "Supreme King Color-Clash"). The shock waves from the Haoshoku Haki clash between Luffy and Chinjao were strong enough to blast people out of the coliseum arena into the water below. The Haoshoku Haki clash between Luffy and Doflamingo produced shockwaves that pushed Trebol and Law's incapacitated body away from them.
During a battle between Gol D. Roger and Edward Newgate, the Haoshoku Haki clash between these two legendary pirates resulted in a massive shockwave that spread across the island and nearly capsized the enormous ship, Moby Dick.
Haoshoku Haki Users
- †: the character is deceased.
- *: the character's status is unknown, or show additional information. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
- ≠: the character is non-canon.
- ‡: the character is no longer part of this group. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
This type of Haki grants the user the ability to dominate the wills of others. Unlike the other types of Haki, Haoshoku cannot be attained through training, instead its users must be born with the ability and can only learn to control it after discovering that they have it. Only one in several million people are born with this Haki. Portgas D. Ace was shown unwittingly using Haoshoku Haki at the age of 10. Additionally, Haoshoku Haki cannot be strengthened through direct use like the other two forms of Haki. Rather, the user can increase their force of will by becoming physically stronger. Thus, although the ability can manifest at a young age, Haoshoku users generally do not consciously manifest and make full use of their abilities until adulthood.
The ability to affect someone depends on the Haki user having greater strength of will than the person the Haki is being used against. The greater the power gap, the more easily the victim will succumb. Those with stronger wills can resist or even ignore the effects of Haoshoku Haki.
Haoshoku Haki can be used to temporarily dominate the psyche of others and intimidate them. This has been most explicitly shown against animals, with usages of Haoshoku causing them to either become fearful and flee or become docile for a brief period, with both effects happening instantly. This domination may end up resulting in the victim losing consciousness a short time later, as shown by Motobaro. Additionally, the kraken Surume was shown obeying commands from Luffy after being intimidated by a glare from him, but the overall degree of control that Haoshoku users can assert over animals purely with this Haki is unclear.
This technique's effect on humans and other races of equivalent intelligence is currently rather ambiguous. On Amazon Lily, when Luffy unleashed Haoshoku Haki while shouting at Boa Marigold and Boa Sandersonia to stop attacking their petrified countrywomen, the two sisters were shown to be taken aback by the outburst and ultimately obeyed his command, though it is uncertain whether their action was unconsciously influenced by the Haoshoku usage to any degree. In other instances, people in the vicinity of Haoshoku usage whose wills are strong enough to avoid incapacitation have not demonstrated much indication of being dominated by the user's will. While Haoshoku Haki users are almost always shown in high-ranking leadership positions, it remains unknown if this Haki plays any sort of a role in their ability to attract followers (other than people who consciously follow Haoshoku users out of admiration for the Haki like Doflamingo's executives). Of course, since Haoshoku users are stated to have the "qualities of a king", they are naturally expected to possess personality traits that make them effective leaders.
By overpowering the will of those around them to an even greater degree, a Haoshoku Haki user is capable of knocking people and animals in their vicinity unconscious. Whether or not a person is rendered unconscious depends on the degree of their strength in comparison to the user's; generally, normal citizens and common soldiers and pirates are most likely to be knocked out by Haoshoku Haki, whereas people established to be capable, powerful, and strong-willed are far less likely to fall victim; Oda has stated that anyone who is knocked out by Haoshoku Haki is essentially "not worth fighting" the user directly.
People who just barely have enough willpower to withstand a Haoshoku user have been shown to become light-headed and are forced to concentrate in order to remain conscious, and although sufficiently powerful people can resist this power without issue, they are still able to sense the Haki being used. The greater the strength and willpower that a Haoshoku user possesses, the more people they are capable of incapacitating. Sufficiently powerful Haoshoku users are frequently capable of going up against large hordes of enemies and incapacitating most, if not all of them in an instant.
Unknowing or inexperienced Haoshoku users frequently first manifest this ability unconsciously by shouting at those around them with the intent of trying to get them to stop doing something, and their release of Haoshoku Haki will tend to indiscriminately impact everyone in their vicinity who is weak-willed enough. With training, a Haoshoku user is capable of incapacitating people simply by looking intently at them, or even by just walking past them. Sufficiently skilled Haoshoku users can also limit the effect of their Haki when using it in a crowded area, being capable of choosing not to knock out certain people. Additionally, Haoshoku users have even demonstrated the ability to incapacitate others while unconscious, with their spirit remaining unyielding even as their body gives out.
If used with a sufficient degree of power, Haoshoku Haki is capable of damaging inanimate objects and structures in the user's vicinity. This was first shown when Shanks used Haoshoku on the Moby Dick to such a degree that it not only knocked out many of the Whitebeard Pirates around him, but also slightly cracked some of the wood composing the ship, which had withstood the incredibly harsh sailing conditions of the New World since the era of Gol D. Roger, more than two decades ago.
When two Haoshoku users clash, they will generate thin lightning-like streams of colored energy that crackle; this energy will often stretch up high enough to be seen from anywhere on the island where the clash is taking place. This effect was first demonstrated and noted when Luffy and Chinjao clashed in the Corrida Colosseum. Additionally, the force of a Haoshoku Haki clash will create shockwaves that will shake the surrounding area and can even blow away nearby people and objects. When Gol D. Roger and Whitebeard, two Haoshoku users who are among the most powerful people to ever live, clashed, the resulting impact blew back all of the flora and fauna on the entire island and even exerted tremendous force on their ships on the coast. When Kaido fought Big Mom for half a day, Kaido's subordinates were extremely concerned that they would destroy the fortress they were in and even the entire island of Onigashima in the course of a long battle.
A very small number of particularly powerful Haoshoku Haki users, stated to only be a "handful" by Kaido, are able to "infuse" (まとえる Matoeru?) their body and weapons with their conquering spirit in a way that is very similar to Busoshoku Haki, greatly augmenting the power of their attacks. After infusing themselves with Haoshoku, the Haki is emitted from the part it is focused at in the form of small dark lightning (purple or red bolts in the anime); as seen with Roger's Ace, Newgate's Murakumogiri, Kaido's kanabo, Big Mom's punch, and Luffy's punches and kicks.
This application provides such an immense boost in power, it allowed Luffy to clash evenly against Kaido, the man known as the strongest living creature in the world; he was able to strike Kaido without making physical contact with him and even deal him damage, whereas his earlier use of advanced Busoshoku-enhanced attacks were "too shallow" and had no significant effect. Luffy was also able to use this application to deflect Kaido's kanabo with a kick, whereas the best he could do with his highly trained Busoshoku was barely block a strike from the kanabo with both arms, and his arms were left in pain afterwards.
All users so far are extremely skilled in Busoshoku Haki, which can also be used in conjunction with Haoshoku infusion to augment their overall effectiveness. The advanced Busoshoku application of damaging objects without making physical contact with them has often been seen with people using Haoshoku infusion, but it should not be taken as a sign of Haoshoku infusion by itself, as it has been shown that infused objects can make physical contact with what they strike.
The Qualities of a King
According to Trebol, Haoshoku Haki is proof of an individual who possesses the qualities of a king, a candidate chosen by heaven. Indeed, many of the people who have been shown to possess Haoshoku Haki share a royal position or epithet or attained some highly respected status, which indicates their dominating role:
- Gol D. Roger was the captain of the only crew in history to circumnavigate the Grand Line, and attained the title of "Pirate King" for his unparalleled accomplishments among pirates.
- Silvers Rayleigh was the right-hand man of the Pirate King Roger and is known by his epithet "Dark King".
- Edward Newgate, or "Whitebeard", was the captain of the Whitebeard Pirates and one of the Four Emperors who rule over territory in the New World. He was widely considered to be the closest rival to the Pirate King Roger, possessing the titles of "Strongest Man in the World" and the "Man Closest to One Piece" until his death.
- Sengoku was the fleet admiral of the Marines until two years ago and was one of the strongest and most renowned Marines during the era of Roger.
- Charlotte Linlin, or "Big Mom", is the captain of the Big Mom Pirates and one of the Four Emperors; she is most notably considered the queen of the Totto Land archipelago. She has been a powerful presence in the New World for the past six decades.
- Chinjao was the leader of the powerful and infamous Happo Navy, being considered to be a rival to the Marine Monkey D. Garp while in his prime.
- Kozuki Oden was the heir to the shogunate of Wano Country, an independent nation renowned for its military strength. He conquered the country's lawless region of Kuri and was appointed as its daimyo, and was the leader of an exceptionally powerful group of samurai known as the Nine Red Scabbards.
- Kaido is the captain of the Beasts Pirates and one of the Four Emperors. He is regarded as the "Strongest Creature" in all the world and is considered a ruler over Wano for the past 25 years.
- Charlotte Katakuri is the son of Big Mom and one of her Three Sweet Commanders. Widely considered to be the strongest member of the crew save for her, Katakuri has frequently taken charge over his crewmates. He governs over Komugi Island as its minister.
- Donquixote Doflamingo is the captain of the Donquixote Pirates, whose current executives notably started following him at a young age specifically because he possessed Haoshoku Haki. He also ruled Dressrosa as its king for the past decade, and accumulated great power as a broker in the Underworld under the codename "Joker".
- Shanks is the captain of the Red Hair Pirates and one of the Four Emperors.
- Boa Hancock is the captain of the Kuja Pirates and the empress of Amazon Lily. Her first voyage as a pirate was so impactful that she received a high bounty and an invitation to join the Seven Warlords immediately afterwards.
- Portgas D. Ace was the son of Gol D. Roger and was the captain of the Spade Pirates. He would later join the Whitebeard Pirates, becoming the 2nd Division Commander.
- Monkey D. Luffy is the captain of the Straw Hat Pirates and one of the fastest-ascending pirate leaders in the present day. His ability to attract followers is well-renowned, particularly after over 5000 pirates swore allegiance to him and formed the Straw Hat Grand Fleet despite Luffy not desiring this, and these events have caused him to be given the title of the "Fifth Emperor".
- Roronoa Zoro is the combatant of the Straw Hat Pirates and is typically their most renowned member aside from Luffy. Onlookers who have witnessed his strength and willpower have expressed surprise at Zoro not being the Straw Hats' captain, leading them to wonder just how powerful Luffy is.
- Eustass Kid is the captain of the Kid Pirates. Having possessed the highest bounty among Worst Generation members for a large portion of the group's existence, he has constantly demonstrated an unbreakable drive to reach the top.
- Among non-canon Haoshoku users, Naguri was a former pirate captain, while Douglas Bullet, though never a conventional leader, constantly worked to get stronger for the purpose of taking over the world and defeating every global power to achieve the title of Pirate King.
While this is shown to be a very rare gift among the world as a whole, it is noted by Don Chinjao that the New World is filled with numerous others who possess the ability to use this Haki. He explains that Luffy will most certainly encounter them and fight them for the title of Pirate King.
It is currently unknown if there is an actual way to awaken this Haki, since it cannot be learned, only controlled after one discovers that they are one in several million people to be born with it. So far, all seen cases of people awakening their Haoshoku involved them using the ability subconsciously while in a state of distress, but also with an unwavering will.
Silvers Rayleigh has stated that although this Haki can be controlled, it cannot be trained to become stronger directly. Since it is, in essence, the embodiment of the user's spirit, it can only become stronger if the user themself becomes stronger.
Anime and Manga Differences
- In the manga, those hit with Haoshoku Haki foam at the mouth after or while losing consciousness, whereas, in the anime, they simply faint.
- In recent episodes, the use of Haoshoku Haki causes the affected area, excluding the user, to be highlighted in a dark blue tint. However, this could just be for dramatic effect. In the One Piece Film: Z, the Haoshoku Haki's use creates a circular purple wave. In the anime, the user of Haoshoku Haki has a dark purple aura around him. This can be seen only in Episode 723. In Episode 893 however, Haoshoku Haki has a gold sparkling effect visually similar to the Pika Pika no Mi.
- In the case of Roger and Whitebeard, their pupils also shine with a red glow.
Translation and Dub Issues
Though the "Haō" in "Haōshoku" is translatable to "king", it refers to a "warring king" or "conqueror", one who rules by power and conquest. The term "Overlord" has been used by some translators.
- Sengoku is currently the only known Haoshoku user who has never been a pirate.
- Caesar Clown's attack, Karakuni was mistaken for Haoshoku Haki by one of the Marines of G-5.
- Haoshoku is currently the only type of Haki that is not known by an alternate name in a certain country, likely due to its rarity.
- So far, whenever a Haoshoku user has been subordinate to someone, it has been to another Haoshoku user:
- Zoro is part of Luffy's crew, the Straw Hat Pirates.
- Katakuri is part of Linlin's crew, the Big Mom Pirates.
- Rayleigh, Shanks, Oden, and Bullet were part of Roger's crew, the Roger Pirates.
- Oden and Ace were part of Newgate's crew, the Whitebeard Pirates.
- A potential exception is Whitebeard, Big Mom, and Kaido serving under Rocks D. Xebec, as it is currently unknown if Rocks possessed Haoshoku Haki.