Haoshoku Haki is a rare form of Haki that allows the user to exert their own willpower over others. This type of Haki cannot be attained through training and only one in several million people are born with this ability.
- 1 Background
- 2 Haoshoku Haki Users
- 3 Usage
- 4 The Qualities of a King
- 5 Training
- 6 Anime and Manga Differences
- 7 Translation and Dub Issues
- 8 Trivia
- 9 References
- 10 Site Navigation
It was first demonstrated by Shanks, when he used it to scare off a Sea King, though it was not fully explained and revealed. Later on, during a meeting with Whitebeard, he used it to knock out most of the crew, which the few still standing attributed to his superior Haki.
Luffy first displayed the effects of this type of Haki against Duval's bull, Motobaro, much to everyone's confusion. He displayed it again on Amazon Lily while battling Sandersonia and Marigold, knocking out a large portion of the audience observing the match. This is also the first time it is referred to by name. Luffy also used it to knock out the wolves attacking him and Bentham in Impel Down, although he was poisoned badly by Magellan at the time and still had no control over it. Luffy exhibiting it during the Marineford War was enough for the Marine admirals to become wary enough of him that they prioritized his elimination afterward.
After the timeskip, Luffy is proficient enough to tame monsters, as well as knock out a selected group of individuals without affecting any of the bystanders using Haoshoku Haki, displaying his new-found proficiency in the skill. Luffy was even able to use it while unconscious.
It has been implied a number of times that this Haki is based on lineage. It is noted by Doberman, for example, that Luffy possessing Haoshoku Haki made sense since he is the son of the Monkey D. Dragon, the Leader of the Revolutionary Army. It is later shown that Portgas D. Ace, the son of former Pirate King Gol D. Roger, also had this Haki like his father. Charlotte Katakuri, the second son of Big Mom, is also shown to possess this Haki type just like his mother does.
It has been shown that when two users of this Haki clash, it causes a rippling or shockwave effect, cracking the air similar to the Gura Gura no Mi. This is simply referred to as a Haoshoku Clash (覇王色の衝突 Haō-shoku no Shōtotsu?, literally meaning "Supreme King Color-Clash"). The shock waves from the Haoshoku Haki clash between Luffy and Chinjao were strong enough to blast people out of the coliseum arena into the water below. The Haoshoku Haki clash between Luffy and Doflamingo produced shockwaves that pushed Trebol and Law's incapacitated body away from them.
During a battle between Gol D. Roger and Edward Newgate, the Haoshoku Haki clash between these two legendary pirates resulted in a massive shockwave that spread across the island and nearly capsized the enormous ship, Moby Dick.
Haoshoku Haki Users
- †: the character is deceased.
- *: the character's status is unknown, or show additional information. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
- ≠: the character is non-canon.
- ‡: the character is no longer part of this group. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
This type of Haki grants the user the ability to dominate the wills of others. Unlike the other types of Haki, Haoshoku cannot be attained through training, instead its users must be born with the ability and can only learn to control it after discovering that they have it. Only one in several million people are born with this Haki. Portgas D. Ace was shown unwittingly using Haoshoku Haki at the age of 10. Additionally, Haoshoku Haki cannot be strengthened through direct use like the other two forms of Haki. Rather, the user can increase their force of will by becoming physically stronger. Thus, although the ability can manifest at a young age, Haoshoku users generally do not consciously manifest and make full use of their abilities until adulthood.
The ability to affect someone depends on the Haki user having greater strength of will than the person the Haki is being used against. The greater the power gap, the more easily the victim will succumb. Those with stronger wills can resist or even ignore the effects of Haoshoku Haki.
Haoshoku Haki can be used to temporarily dominate the psyche of others, intimidating them to point where they are frozen with fear and/or forcing them into submission, causing the victim to retreat, or obey the users commands for a short time. Depending on the will of the victim(s), they could even suffer a panic attack. By simply staring intently into an victims eyes, a Haoshoku user can immediately inflict tremendous fear into the creature's psyche, causing it to either run away or immediately become docile; the animal may also pass out shortly afterwards. Monkey D. Luffy, a Haoshoku Haki user, has repeatedly demonstrated a unique knack for instantaneously taming ferocious animals and getting them to follow him.
This technique has mainly been shown to work on animals, but it can work on humans as well, as seen when Luffy used this ability to stop Boa Marigold and Boa Sandersonia from shattering the petrified Marguerite. People have been shown to submit to Haoshoku Haki users because they possess this ability, but it is unknown whether this is an effect of being unconsciously swayed by the user's willpower or a fully conscious decision made purely out of admiration for the ability. Every single canon Haoshoku user has at some point been the leader or a high-ranking member of a notable group.
By overpowering the will of those around them to an even greater degree, a Haoshoku Haki user is capable of knocking people and animals in their vicinity unconscious. Whether or not a person is rendered unconscious depends on the degree of their strength in comparison to the user's; generally, normal citizens and common soldiers and pirates are most likely to be knocked out by Haoshoku Haki, whereas people established to be capable, powerful, and strong-willed are far less likely to fall victim; Oda has stated that anyone who is knocked out by Haoshoku Haki is essentially "not worth fighting" the user directly.
People who just barely have enough willpower to withstand a Haoshoku user have been shown to become light-headed and are forced to concentrate in order to remain conscious, and although sufficiently powerful people can resist this power without issue, they are still able to sense the Haki being used. The greater the strength and willpower that a Haoshoku user possesses, the more people they are capable of incapacitating. Sufficiently powerful Haoshoku users are frequently capable of going up against large hordes of enemies and incapacitating most, if not all of them in an instant.
Unknowing or inexperienced Haoshoku users frequently first manifest this ability unconsciously by shouting at those around them with the intent of trying to get them to stop doing something, and their release of Haoshoku Haki will tend to indiscriminately impact everyone in their vicinity who is weak-willed enough. With training, a Haoshoku user is capable of incapacitating people simply by looking intently at them, or even by just walking past them. Sufficiently skilled Haoshoku users can also limit the effect of their Haki when using it in a crowded area, being capable of choosing not to knock out certain people. Additionally, Haoshoku users have even demonstrated the ability to incapacitate others while unconscious, with their spirit remaining unyielding, even as their body gives out.
If used with a sufficient degree of power, Haoshoku Haki is capable of damaging inanimate objects and structures in the user's vicinity. This was first shown when Shanks used Haoshoku on the Moby Dick to such a degree that it not only knocked out many of the Whitebeard Pirates around him, but also slightly cracked some of the wood composing the ship, which had withstood the incredibly harsh sailing conditions of the New World since the era of Gol D. Roger, more than two decades ago.
When two Haoshoku users clash, they will generate thin lightning-like streams of colored energy that crackle; this energy will often stretch up high enough to be seen from anywhere on the island where the clash is taking place. This effect was first demonstrated and noted when Luffy and Chinjao clashed in the Corrida Colosseum. Additionally, the force of a Haoshoku Haki clash will create shockwaves that will shake the surrounding area and can even blow away nearby people and objects. When Gol D. Roger and Whitebeard, two Haoshoku users who are among the most powerful people to ever live, clashed, the resulting impact blew back all of the flora and fauna on the entire island and even exerted tremendous force on their ships on the coast. When Kaido fought Big Mom for half a day, Kaido's subordinates were extremely concerned that they would destroy the fortress they were in and even the entire island of Onigashima in the course of a long battle.
A very small number of particularly powerful Haoshoku Haki users, stated to only be a "handful" by Kaido, are able to "infuse" (まとえる Matoeru?) their body and weapons with their conquering spirit in a way that is very similar to Busoshoku Haki, greatly augmenting the power of their attacks. After infusing themselves with Haoshoku, the Haki is emitted from the part it is focused at in the form of small dark lightning (purple or red bolts in the anime); as seen with Roger's saber, Newgate's Murakumogiri, Kaido's kanabo, and Luffy's punches and kicks.
This application provides such an immense boost in power, it allowed Luffy to clash evenly against Kaido, the man known as the strongest living creature in the world; he was able to strike Kaido without making physical contact with him and even deal him damage, whereas his earlier use of advanced Busoshoku-enhanced attacks were "too shallow" and had no significant effect. Luffy was also able to use this application to deflect Kaido's kanabo with a kick, whereas the best he could do with his highly trained Busoshoku was barely block a strike from the kanabo with both arms, and his arms were left in pain afterwards. All users so far are extremely skilled in Busoshoku Haki, which can also be used in conjunction with infusion to augment their overall effectiveness.
The Qualities of a King
According to Trebol, Haoshoku Haki is proof of an individual who possesses the qualities of a king, a candidate chosen by heaven. Indeed, most of the people who have been shown to possess Haoshoku Haki (aside from the non-canon Naguri and Douglas Bullet) share a royal position or epithet or attained some highly respected status, which indicates their dominating role:
- Shanks is one of the Four Emperors and captain of the Red Hair Pirates. He also served as an apprentice under the late Pirate King and inherited Roger's Straw Hat which he later gave to Luffy.
- Monkey D. Luffy is the captain of the Straw Hat Pirates and leader of the Straw Hat Grand Fleet, as well as the sworn brothers of Sabo and the late Portgas D. Ace, the grandson of a Marines Vice-Admiral, Monkey D. Garp, who has the epithet "Hero of the Marines", and the son of the Revolutionary Army leader, Monkey D. Dragon. Also, he has made notable friends with many royal people, such as Nefertari Vivi, Shirahoshi, and Rebecca, as well of having former royals of his crew and fleet, Sanji and Cavendish, respectively, and is the current possessor of the straw hat that once belonged to the late Pirate King, Gol D. Roger, which was later given to Shanks and later given to Luffy. He has also been recognized as the Fifth Emperor of the Sea. He is also part of the Worst Generation.
- Silvers Rayleigh has the epithet of "Dark King". He was also the right-hand of the late Pirate King.
- Boa Hancock, also known as the Pirate Empress, is Amazon Lily's ruler, a former Warlord of the Sea and captain of the Kuja Pirates.
- Edward Newgate was one of the Four Emperors and captain of the Whitebeard Pirates. He was one of only two men strong enough to rival the Pirate King and was also known as the one closest to the One Piece before his demise.
- Portgas D. Ace, being the son of the Pirate King, can metaphorically be considered a prince, and was also mistakenly thought by the world at large to be the intended successor to Whitebeard himself. He was also captain of the Spade Pirates earlier, and later became the second commander of the second division of the Whitebeard Pirates.
- Donquixote Doflamingo is the former king of Dressrosa, a former Warlord of the Sea and captain of the Donquixote Pirates, as well as a former World Noble and the most influential person in the Underworld.
- Chinjao was a Don before passing the title to Sai. He is the leader of the Chinjao family and former 12th Admiral of the Happo Navy.
- Charlotte Linlin is Totto Land's queen, one of the Four Emperors, and captain of the Big Mom Pirates. She is also the matriarch of the Charlotte Family.
- Charlotte Katakuri is one of the Sweet Commanders of the Big Mom Pirates (noted to be the strongest one), the minister of Komugi Island and the second son of the queen of Totto Land.
- Kozuki Oden was the former Daimyo of Kuri and the son of Kozuki Sukiyaki, the Shogun of Wano Country. He was also the first commander of the second division of the Whitebeard Pirates.
- Eustass Kid is the captain of the Kid Pirates and an active participant in the Underworld. He is also part of the Worst Generation.
- Sengoku is a former Fleet Admiral, the highest-ranking Marine Commissioned Officer. He possesses the power of the mythical Hito Hito no Mi, Model: Daibutsu, giving him the appearance of a giant representation of the Buddhism figure of highest enlightenment, which in turn earned him the epithet of "Sengoku the Buddha".
- Kaido is the Governor-General of the Beasts Pirates, one of the Four Emperors, and has the epithet of "King of the Beasts".
- Gol D. Roger was known as the Pirate King and the captain of the Roger Pirates. He gave Shanks his straw hat, which he later gave to Luffy. He was Ace's father and Newgate's rival. His demise started the Golden Age of Piracy.
- Roronoa Zoro is the first member of the Straw Hat Pirates, tremendously powerful swordsman and was a former Bounty Hunter who invented the Santoryu, dreaming of being the World's Greatest Swordsman. It is noted that he has inherited Kuina's Wado Ichimonji, and Kozuki Oden's Enma, two Meito forged by the same legendary swordsmith. Like his Captain, Zoro is a member of the Worst Generation recognized by some of the strongest pirates such as Mihawk, who had acted as his mentor during the timeskip, Kuma, and one of the Four Emperors, Kaido; most notably, he survived fighting against them, being the second one to give Kaido a permanent scar after Oden.
While this is shown to be a very rare gift among the world as a whole, it is noted by Don Chinjao that the New World is filled with numerous others who possess the ability to use this Haki. He explains that Luffy will most certainly encounter them and fight them for the title of Pirate King.
It is currently unknown if there is an actual way to awaken this Haki, since it cannot be learned, only controlled after one discovers that they are one in several million people to be born with it. So far, all seen cases of people awakening their Haoshoku involved them using the ability subconsciously while in a state of distress, but also with an unwavering will.
Anime and Manga Differences
- In the manga, those hit with Haoshoku Haki foam at the mouth after or while losing consciousness, whereas, in the anime, they simply faint.
- In recent episodes, the use of Haoshoku Haki causes the affected area, excluding the user, to be highlighted in a dark blue tint. However, this could just be for dramatic effect. In the One Piece Film: Z, the Haoshoku Haki's use creates a circular purple wave. In the anime, the user of Haoshoku Haki has a dark purple aura around him. This can be seen only in Episode 723. In Episode 893 however, Haoshoku Haki has a gold sparkling effect visually similar to the Pika Pika no Mi.
- In the case of Roger and Whitebeard, their pupils also shine with a red glow.
Translation and Dub Issues
Though the "Haō" in "Haōshoku" is translatable to "king", it refers to a "warring king" or "conqueror", one who rules by power and conquest. The term "Overlord" has been used by some translators.
- Sengoku is currently the only Marine capable of using Haoshoku Haki while all other users are Pirates.
- Caesar Clown's attack, Karakuni was mistaken for Haoshoku Haki by one of the Marines of G-5.
- Both Haoshoku and Busoshoku Haki has proven to be linked and similar to one another in several ways, as proficient users in both can imbue them into things. In addition to Busoshoku Haki users who possesses Haoshoku Haki generates dark lightning and shockwaves when colliding against one another when their imbued fists or weapons clashes despite not intentionally releasing it.
- Haoshoku is currently the only type of Haki that is not known by an alternate name in a certain country.