- Hebi (蛇?) is Japanese for "snake".
- The "Yamata no Orochi" (
八岐大蛇?) is a legendary eight-headed, eight-tailed snake/dragon monster from Japanese mythology, the name meaning "eight-branch giant snake".
The fruit seems to have the scaled features and shape of a pineapple. There are at least six stem leaves on top of the fruit with a round triangular shape on each end. The scale-like sections of the fruit have the typical swirls found on Devil Fruits.
Strengths and Weaknesses
This fruit grants the user eight separate, extremely long-necked heads, each one capable of speech on their own. It appears that the user has some degree of control over the number of heads that can sprout at once, with eight being the maximum limit. Curiously, some of Orochi's human form features, such as his crown and mustache, are present only in one of the heads. In this form, Orochi was able to easily lift Komurasaki with one of his snake heads.
In this form, the user is able to bite multiple opponents with a considerable amount of strength and range, the latter due to the elongated necks. The user also has an incredible amount of durability in their transformed state, with Orochi being capable of sustaining damage from a ceiling collapsing on his head with few repercussions, as well as surviving by a Zeus-enhanced lightning bolt. The fruit has no known weaknesses aside from the standard Devil Fruit weaknesses.
|— Kurozumi Higurashi to Kurozumi Orochi|
The fruit was acquired by Kurozumi Higurashi over 41 years ago, and she offered to give it to Orochi if he followed her instructions to take the title of shogun. Some time prior to Orochi successfully becoming shogun, he already consumed the fruit.
- When the fruit was shown in the Shonen Jump magazine release of Chapter 965, it lacked the usual swirls of a Devil Fruit, and had more scales. This was fixed in the volume release of Volume 96, with the swirl pattern replacing some of the scales.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 96 Chapter 965 (p. 12), The actual fruit before consumption is seen.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 92 Chapter 927 (p. 15) and Episode 921, The fruit's power is first displayed.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 93 Chapter 933 (p. 2-4) and Episode 927, Orochi threatens Komurasaki.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 98 Chapter 985 (p. 16), Kaido beheads Orochi.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 93 Chapter 932 (p. 16-17) and Episode 927, Orochi's full transformation is shown.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 93 Chapter 933 (p. 9-10) and Episode 928, Shinobu drops a ceiling on Orochi.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 96 Chapter 974 (p. 4), Orochi showcases his powers when meeting with Kanjuro more than 41 years ago.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 96 Chapter 969 (p. 8-9), Orochi is seen in his partly transformed state about 25 years ago.
- Yamata no Orochi: Wikipedia article about the creature this fruit transforms into.