In One Piece[edit | edit source]
Jesus Burgess is the helmsman of the Blackbeard Pirates, and the first one to be introduced into the series. It is unknown if Burgess is still a helmsman, as he was promoted to captain of the Blackbeard Pirates' first ship during the timeskip when Blackbeard became one of the Four Emperors.
Shiki is the helmsman of the Golden Lion Pirates, in addition to being the crew's captain. This is because the movement of his ship is controlled and levitated in the air by his Fuwa Fuwa no Mi powers. Any changes in course must be relayed to Shiki for him to conduct the change in trajectory.
Before the Straw Hats offically had a helmsman, the most common people seen steering the Thousand Sunny were Nami, Usopp, or Chopper in his human form. However, Franky and Sanji have also been seen steering the ship many times. Since joining the Straw Hats, Jinbe serves as the crew's helmsman. He has demonstrated tremendous skills as a helmsman, being able to guide the Thousand Sunny into a small "Green Room" within the giant sentient wave Big Mom created, enabling the ship to surf away from the crushing waters safely; Nami commented that Jinbe's skills in controlling a sloop ship as an extension of his body qualifies him as a helmsman of such a caliber she has never seen before.
Helmsmen[edit | edit source]
|Jesus Burgess||Jinbe||Shiki||Roger ≠|
References[edit | edit source]
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 24 Chapter 222 and Episode 146, Jesus Burgess, the helmsman of the Blackbeard Pirate, debuts.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 25 Chapter 234 and Episode 151, Burgess is introduced as the helmsman of the Blackbeard Pirates.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 71 Chapter 704 and Episode 634, Burgess' new position is revealed.
- One Piece Movie 10, Shiki acting as the helmsman in addition to captain of the Golden Lion Pirates.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 97 Chapter 976, Jinbe is officially confirmed as the Straw Hat Pirates' helmsman.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 56 Chapter 548 and Episode 451, Jinbe steering a hijacked Marines battleship.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 88 Chapter 881 (p. 4-8), Jinbe surfing the Thousand Sunny into a giant wave Big Mom created.
[edit | edit source]