Hidayu is a samurai who allied with the Kozuki Family. After waiting 20 years for the return of the Nine Red Scabbards, he affiliated with the Ninja-Pirate-Mink-Samurai Alliance to raid Onigashima.
Hidayu is a stocky, tan-skinned man with navy blue hair that is shaved, a slight widow's peak, and think eyebrows, a mustache and goatee that look like kumadori makeup. He wears a brown kimono with an orange circular pattern on it. He sometimes wears a white scarf over his head or a light-colored cloak with a zig-zag pattern on the sleeves. He has a reverse crescent moon tattoo on his ankle.
Hidayu is loyal to the Kozuki Family and often maintains a stern, stoic expression. He was hesitant to believe the Kozuki Family had returned to usurp Orochi, but was faithful after being imprisoned. He broke his normal expression when he joined the Onigashima raid after Denjiro freed him, smiling and cheering, and again after Big Mom attacked his comrades, gritting his teeth and showing concern.
Abilities and Powers
As a samurai, Hidayu is likely proficient at combat. However, he has not been seen carrying a weapon.
In the past, Hidayu was allied with the Kozuki Family. After hearing Kozuki Toki's prophesied the downfall of Kurozumi Orochi and the opening of Wano Country's borders, Hidayu and his allies waited for 20 years for the Nine Red Scabbards' return and got reverse crescent moon tattoos to identify themselves.
Wano Country Arc
Hidayu was carrying a log through the Flower Capital when he passed either Usopp, Shachi, Bepo, or Penguin and was handed a piece of paper. He read the cryptic message on it and wondered if it was true.
Hidayu was among those arrested and thrown in Rasetsu Town for conspiring to defy Orochi. In prison, he and the others received Shimotsuki Yasuie's final message of the rebels' new gathering place. The group watched as the Straw Hat Pirates saved Toko and fought off Orochi's subordinates. Two days before the raid, he and his comrades still patiently waited, trapped in Rasetsu Town.
On the day of the Fire Festival, Hidayu and the other rebels were freed from Rasetsu Town by Denjiro, adding 1,000 soldiers to the raid's forces. The group sailed to Tokage Port to retrieve the Scabbards and commence the raid.
Hidayu joined Kin'emon's Eastern forces, and the group approached a brothel. The group split up but heard someone from inside the brothel. They all jumped in the water to hide, except Chopper and Usopp who were riding in the Brachio Tank V.
Anime and Manga Differences
When Denjrio and the rebels from Rasetsu Town arrive at Tokage Port, Hidayu is replaced with another samurai in this scene, who has also bald but has a straight mustache and neck tattoos instead.
- Part of his name means "fire" (火 hi?), likely a reference to his flame-like eyebrows and facial hair.
- Tayū (太夫?) is a name associated with members of the Fifth Rank and a title in tradional Japanese arts such as Noh or Jōruri.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 92 Chapter 926 (p. 4) and Episode 918, The Kozuki Family's allies received secret messages of signaling a revolt.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 97 Chapter 975 (p. 13-14), Denjiro frees the Rasetsu Town prisoners to join in the raid.
- Vivre Card - One Piece Visual Dictionary (EX Characters: Wano Country Arc Vol. 3 #1312), Hidayu is named.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 95 Chapter 955 (p. 11).
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 98 Chapter 988 (p. 12).
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 93 Chapter 939 (p. 9) and Episode 935, Everyone with a moon tattoo on their ankle is arrested and imprisoned in Rasetsu Town.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 93 Chapter 942 (p. 13) and Episode 940.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 94 Chapter 944 (p. 8).
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 97 Chapter 978 (p. 4) and Episode 983.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 97 Chapter 981 (p. 12), Kinemon's Eastern forces split up at Woman Trouble and hide from Big Mom.
- One Piece Anime — Episode 979, Hidayu is replaced at Tokage Port with another samurai.