The Hito Hito no Mi, Model: Daibutsu is a Mythical Zoan-type Devil Fruit that allows its user to transform into a Daibutsu (a giant gold Buddha) at will. It was eaten by Sengoku, the former fleet admiral of the Marines.
- Hito (人?) is Japanese for "person/human (being)".
- Daibutsu (大仏?) is the Japanese term, often used informally, for large statues of Buddha, in particular Japanese Buddha statuary.
- In the Viz Manga it is called the Human-Human Fruit, Model: Buddha.
Strengths and Weaknesses
The main strength of this fruit is that it allows the user to transform into a giant, living, golden Buddha, gaining an extreme boost in strength to match the increased size. In this form, Sengoku's limbs grow out of proportion, giving him abnormally large arms and relatively tiny legs. His entire body takes on a solid gold hue (gray color in Gigant Battle); in addition to a full and hybrid transformation that are available to all Zoan Devil Fruit users, he can use palm thrusts to launch powerful shock waves.
This fruit has no apparent weaknesses, aside from the standard Devil Fruit weaknesses.
Sengoku has so far been seen using this fruit primarily for combat purposes, enhancing his punching power with his increased size, to the point of injuring Monkey D. Luffy despite his inflated and highly pressurized rubber body and destroying the scaffold they were on, even though his punch was buffered by Luffy's super-inflated belly and Galdino's harder-than-steel "Candle Wall".
Sengoku can launch golden shockwaves by striking his hand forward in a motion similar to a palm thrust. That can cause heavy and widespread damage to a group of enemies, and was strong enough to injure even the Blackbeard Pirates. In the anime, these shock waves are shown to be powerful enough to clash against the tremor shockwaves created by Marshall D. Teach.
When Sengoku first used his fruit's powers in an attempt to execute both Luffy and Ace, nearby Marines noted that they had never seen him use it before, suggesting that he rarely transforms. As he transformed, his body emitted a blinding golden light.
- Impact Wave (衝撃波 Shōgekiha?): Sengoku launches a golden shockwave that can cause heavy damage to a large group of enemies. It is strong enough to injure even the Blackbeard Pirates. Its name comes from One Piece: Burning Blood.
- I'll execute you myself! (?): A powerful punch that was used by Sengoku when he tried to execute Ace, Luffy, and Galdino. It was powerful enough to destroy the scaffold of the Marineford execution platform, despite being blocked by Galdino's Candle Wall and Luffy's inflated belly. Its name comes from One Piece: Burning Blood.
- This fruit possesses the longest gap between its user's first appearance and its first use, with Sengoku making his debut in Chapter 234 but not using the fruit until Chapter 571, a span of 337 chapters and seven and a half years.
- When Sengoku transforms in the manga, his hat seemingly disappears and his uniform gets tied around his waist (the process of which was not shown), though everything changes color and enlarges with him. In the anime, his hat is shown falling off, and his afro that is stuffed underneath expands.
- His hat also flies off when he transforms in One Piece: Burning Blood.
- It is unknown if the transformation used during the Summit War of Marineford is his hybrid form or his full transformation.
- In One Piece: Burning Blood, it is claimed in the Hito Hito no Mi Keyword Log entry (which covers both the standard model and Hito Hito no Mi, Model: Daibutsu) that this fruit bestows the abilities of a superhuman, such as a massive body and superlative brain.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 58 Chapter 571 (p. 10-15) and Episode 480, Sengoku transforms into a Daibutsu.
- SBS One Piece Manga — Vol. 60, Fan Question: Oda Sensei! What exactly is Fleet Admiral Sengoku's power? I've been wondering for a while.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 59 Chapter 578 (p. 5-7) and Episode 487, Sengoku launches a shock wave blast at the Blackbeard Pirates.
- One Piece Anime — Episode 488, Sengoku's and Blackbeard's shock waves clash equally.
- Daibutsu – Wikipedia article on the entity this fruit transforms the user into.