- Hito (人?) is Japanese for "person/human (being)".
- An "ōnyūdō" (大入道?) is a type of Japanese yōkai that takes the form of a gigantic monk.
Strengths and Weaknesses
This fruit's ability is to transform into an onyudo: a mythical, human-like yokai that takes the form of a giant monk; Onimaru, in particular, stands at over four meters tall. This fruit being of the Hito Hito no Mi series, its transformation grants a nonhuman user human intelligence and the ability to speak the human language.
So far, no weakness of this Devil Fruit power is known beside the standard Devil Fruit weaknesses.
Onimaru is able to transform from his komagitsune self into a large, naginata-wielding onyudo known as Gyukimaru. In his Gyukimaru form, he possesses a human intellect that comes with the ability to speak and a presumably extended lifespan, given the fox's age of 69 years.
Befitting his size, Gyukimaru has enormous strength in his onyudo form, as he could match up to Roronoa Zoro's physical power for some time. He also has great speed, able to match Zoro's agility in their first match, deftly wielding his naginata against Zoro's two swords. However, in their second bout he was overwhelmed by Zoro without much effort on the latter's part, implying that Onimaru may have had an advantage in the first match due to catching the opposing swordsman off-guard.
Onimaru has yet to display any "mythical" abilities outside of his transformation.
- Certain versions of the ōnyūdō myth are known to involve shapeshifting kitsune disguised as the former creature, reflecting Onimaru's own usage of the fruit.
- Like the Hito Hito no Mi, this fruit grants the ability of speech, making it the second fruit to do so.
- This is third fruit counting the non-canon Inu Inu no Mi, Model: Bake-danuki.
- When transforming, Onimaru does so in a puff of smoke akin to those seen from the usage of certain ninjutsu.
- One Piece Official YouTube Channel
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 93 Chapter 936 (p. 16-17) and Episode 932, Onimaru makes his debut as "Gyukimaru".
- Vivre Card - One Piece Visual Dictionary (Card #1368), Onimaru's Devil Fruit is confirmed.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 94 Chapter 953 (p. 7, 17) and Episode 954, Onimaru's true identity and ability to transform is revealed.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 93 Chapter 937 (p. 6-8) and Episode 933, Onimaru fights against Zoro.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 94 Chapter 952 (p. 2-3) and Episode 952, Onimaru has a second confrontation with Zoro.
- Ōnyūdō – Wikipedia article on the entity that this fruit transforms the user into.