Hotei is a man of above-average height with long puffy light green hair that is gathered into a ponytail down his back. He wears a pair of sunglasses that cover his eyes, and has a small amount of beard stubble on his chin. He wears a light-colored kimono with dark circle patterns that leaves his hairy chest exposed, dark-colored bottoms, and a cloak with a dark jagged design on the bottom.
While under the command of Kurozumi Orochi, Hotei served the shogun loyally, showing no disapproval at the corrupt administration. However, Hotei was not faithful to Orochi as an individual, as once the shogun was beheaded by Kaidou, the Mimawarigumi captain unhesitatingly switched his allegiance to the latter, when given the option of submission or death, going against the standard samurai code of loyalty. He seems to greatly enjoy the annual banquet held at Kaidou's lair during the Fire Festival.
Abilities and Powers
Four Emperors Saga
Wano Country Arc
After the Straw Hat Pirates escaped after instigating a fight in the Flower Capital during Shimotsuki Yasuie's execution, Hotei and the Mimawarigumi began patrolling the capital streets to protect Kurozumi Orochi and capture the pirates.
A week later, the Mimawarigumi accompanied Orochi to Onigashima to party with Kaidou and the Beasts Pirates during the Fire Festival. Before heading out, Fukurokuju told Hotei and the samurai to inform everyone that Kyoshiro would be looking over the Flower Capital during the event, and Hotei remarked that the yakuza boss was unlucky to have to miss out.
While the Golden Kagura festivities were occurring, Hotei drank alongside Orochi. Later, Kaidou came to the Performance Stage to announce his "New Onigashima Project". When Orochi protested this project, Kaidou beheaded him. He then gave the Mimawarigumi and Orochi Oniwabanshu the ultimatum to join his pirate crew or die, and Hotei pledged the Mimawarigumi's service to him.
After Queen unleashed the Ice Oni virus, Hotei and his allies found themselves under attack by those who were infected. After Queen gave Apoo the antidote, Hotei ordered his allies to retrieve it. After Hyogoro had been infected by the Ice Oni virus and physically returned to his prime self, Hotei and the Mimawarigumi challenged him, but they were struck down by the former yakuza boss.
- Hotei, Jigoku Benten, Hanzo, Daikoku and two Mimawarigumi members vs. infected Beast Pirates
- Hotei and Mimawarigumi vs. Hyogoro
- Hotei is possibly named after one of the Seven Lucky Gods in Japanese mythology, much like several members of the Orochi Oniwabanshu including their leader Fukurokuju.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 94 Chapter 951 (p. 4) and Episode 951, Hotei makes his debut.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 98 Chapter 986 (p. 6) and Episode 995, Hotei's name is revealed.
- Masaya Takatsuka's Twitter
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 95 Chapter 958 (p. 6-7) and Episode 959.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 100 Chapter 1006 (p. 12) and Episode 1022, Hyogoro defeats the Mimawarigumi.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 97 Chapter 978 (p. 15) and Episode 982.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 98 Chapter 990 (p. 10) and Episode 1001.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 98 Chapter 994 (p. 9-13) and Episodes 1006–1007.