|Ahoy! This here is the 9th Featured Article.
"John Giant" has been featured, meaning it was chosen as an article of interest.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 Abilities and Powers
- 4 History
- 5 Major Battles
- 6 Trivia
- 7 References
- 8 Site Navigation
John Giant is a giant, and towers over regular soldiers by several times. He is shown to have curly brown hair with a large bulbous chin. Unlike most giants who have a more heavy rounded stature, John is one of the few giants to look the most human.
Unlike other Marines, his traditional white robe is customized, with yellow colorings, red borders, adding more rich details to his collar. He also carries awarded medals on his left breast, signifying his important rank and status. He wears a traditional red bicorne hat with the Marine's symbol. Unlike other high-ranking Marines, he actually wears his marine coat with his arms in the sleeves. Underneath that, he wears an orange shirt, simple loose pants and boots. Overall, he appears to be a well decorated Marine. He also wields a katana that fits his size, slung over his shoulder.
After the timeskip, it is shown he had grown a mustache.
Abilities and Powers
John is a giant which grants him strength and endurance that is several times greater than that of an average superhuman. As a Vice Admiral, he has command over all lower-ranking subordinates within the Marines.
However, the full extent of his abilities cannot be clearly determined as he fought against the powerful Whitebeard, who quickly defeated the Vice Admiral.
- Further information: Haki
East Blue Saga
Water 7 Saga
Enies Lobby Arc
Summit War Saga
Amazon Lily Arc
Three hours before Ace's execution, John Giant rallied the 100,000 troops in Marineford for the upcoming battle.
After Whitebeard began his attack and the pirates began their advance, Giant charged forth entering into the plaza and attacking them. Due to his large size and strength, many of the pirates proved to be no match for him and could only flee from his rampage. He then directly attacked Whitebeard and tried cutting him down.
Whitebeard effortlessly blocked his strike, easily overpowering the giant. He then tilted the island, using his quake powers, making John Giant lose his balance and fall. Afterwards, he got back up to try and attack Whitebeard again, but the Emperor attacked him first this time, hitting him with a quake punch to the chest, severely wounding and defeating the Vice Admiral.
One Piece Film: Z
While Z was making his move to destroy the three End Points in the New World, John Giant was seen in a Marine meeting as some of the high-ranking officers were discussing on how to deal with the crisis.
Concludes non-canon section.
- The Marines and Seven Warlords of the Sea vs. Whitebeard Pirates and Allies
- John Giant vs. Edward Newgate
- He is the first giant to be revealed in the series, although his race was revealed much later than his first appearance.
- Later, it was revealed that he was the first giant to enlist in the Marines.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 11 Chapter 96 (p. 7) and Episode 45, John Giant makes his debut.
- One Piece Blue: Grand Data File (p. 55) , His name and marine rank are revealed.
- One Piece Blue Deep: Characters World (p. 86) , His birthday is revealed.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 86 Chapter 867 (p. 11) and Episode 837.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 58 Chapter 564 (p. 5-10) and Episode 473.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 60 Chapter 594 (p. 7) and Episode 511, Dr. Fishbonen states Haki is a power all vice admirals use.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 54 Chapter 524 (p. 17) and Episode 421.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 42 Chapter 409 (p. 6-7) and Episode 294, John Giant orders 5 vice admirals and ten Marine battleships to go to Enies Lobby.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 56 Chapter 550 (p. 6-7) and Episode 459.
- One Piece Movie 12, John Giant in Film Z