Kirisame is a curved blade that Hody Jones uses underwater.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
The blade is extremely sharp as it was able to cut through a large oarfish that was near him, and slice through underwater mountains. Hody was also able to swim while somersaulting rapidly, in a manner similar to a buzzsaw. The anime also adds the effect of air blades when Hody performed this maneuver.
History[edit | edit source]
Fish-Man Island Arc[edit | edit source]
When Vander Decken IX intended to crash Noah into Fish-Man Island, Hody climbed aboard with the sheathed Kirisame on his back. During the underwater battle against Monkey D. Luffy and the four royal children of Ryugu Kingdom, Hody used the blade to cut them while swimming past them. The blade was broken by Luffy during their clash in the ocean.
Translation and Dub Issues[edit | edit source]
The term "Kirisame" (霧雨 Kirisame?) is usually translated as "drizzle" or "misty rain", with "Kiri" meaning "mist" or "fog", while "same" (a derivative from "ame") meaning "rain"; by replacing the kanji as Kirisame (斬鮫 Kirisame?), "Kiri" meaning "cut", "same" being "shark", thus creating a pun.
References[edit | edit source]
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 65 Chapter 637 and Episode 558, Kirisame, in its sheathe, is seen on Hody's back along with his trident when he is climbing onto Noah's chain.
- SBS One Piece Manga — Vol. 66, Fan Question: Oda-sensei!! Greetings. During the move "Kirisame", Hody's back fin transformed into a sharp edge. Are the back fins of fish-men detachable? Are they trade-able? Or did he just stab the weapon fin onto his back next to his real fin?? Please tell me!!
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 65 Chapter 638 and Episode 559, Hody uses Kirisame against Luffy and Fukaboshi.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 65 Chapter 641 and Episode 562, Luffy breaks the Kirisame.
External Links[edit | edit source]
- Dorsal Fin — Wikipedia article on the appendage this weapon resembles and on which it is used.
[edit | edit source]