The Kitetsu swordsmiths are very skilled, having forged some of the most powerful swords in the world. Each of their blades are cursed, and are said to eventually kill their wielder. Because of this, it was said that no one would use any Kitetsu sword in recent times. Some people were even paranoid that if someone would sell a Kitetsu sword and the curse killed the new wielder, it would come back to the seller. However, a person's luck can overcome the blade's curse, a feat that is considered extremely rare. An arms shop owner who witnessed this was so impressed that he gave his family's heirloom to the swordsman for free.
Each of the swords were made by different generations of swordsmiths. With every generation, the swords made were weaker than their predecessors.
- Shodai Kitetsu (Supreme Grade sword)
- Nidai Kitetsu (Great Grade sword crafted by Kotetsu)
- Sandai Kitetsu (Grade sword crafted by Tenguyama Hitetsu)
- Kitetsu literally means "Demon-Splitter".
- Both Nidai Kitetsu and Sandai Kitetsu have a rounded cross pattée tsuba.
- A member of the Five Elders also has a sword with a similar shaped tsuba.
- The Kitetsu swords are not the only cursed swords in the world, as it was revealed that Law's sword, Kikoku, is also a cursed sword.
- Kitetsu could reference to Sengo Muramasa, whose swords were all stated to be cursed and believed to hunger for blood, inciting their warrior to commit murder or suicide.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 11 Chapter 97 (p. 12-17) and Episode 49, The Kitetsu swords are first mentioned.
- ↑ One Piece Yellow: Grand Elements , Kitetsu is revealed to be the name of a school of swordsmiths.