The Kumo Kumo no Mi, Model: Rosamygale Grauvogeli is an Ancient Zoan-type Devil Fruit that allows the user to transform into a hybrid and full version of a Rosamygale grauvogeli, an ancient species of spider. It was eaten by Black Maria.
- Kumo (蜘蛛?) is Japanese for "spider".
- Rosamygale grauvogeli is a Latin name, meaning "Grauvogel's Rose bird-eating spider".
Strengths and Weaknesses
A user of this Zoan can become a Rosamygale grauvogeli—a heavy-bodied, stout-legged mygalomorph spider from prehistoric times—as well as a human-spider hybrid. Though an actual Rosamygale was quite small in size, the user's transformation will be proportionate to their natural body, which in Black Maria's case exaggerates her spider form's size to dwarf normal humans.
This fruit's "hybrid" form seems unusual compared to other Zoans, as instead of the user retaining a humanoid body with animal alterations over its entirety, their upper body remains fully human while their legs are replaced by a whole spider body, which possesses its own face that is remarkably human-like, complete with human eyes, a toothed, drooling mouth, and a tongue sticking out. It is unknown if this atypical, half-bodied transformation is the default Human-Beast form of the Rosamygale grauvogeli Zoan, or if it is a special form that Black Maria chooses to take on.
The most notable of the user's spider abilities is that they can extrude sticky spider silk from their body, which Black Maria calls "Hard Gum" (
Additionally, using their spider legs, the user can walk on walls and upside-down across ceilings.
The user's webs will become brittle and easily shattered if they are frozen. Aside from that, the user is vulnerable to the the standard Devil Fruit weaknesses.
Black Maria uses this fruit for trap-making and general combat. She is capable of trapping unsuspecting opponents with her webs to leave them vulnerable to further attack, and she can transform her surroundings into a place filled with traps that will instantly ensnare anyone who sets foot there, as seen when she covered a floor of Kaido's castle with nets.
- So far, this is the only Zoan fruit that refers to its represented species through its actual, full scientific name. This is in contrast to even other Ancient Zoans, particularly those of the Ryu Ryu no Mi series, which only utilize the species' genus for identification and thus are incomplete in determining the specimen.
- It is noteworthy, though, that the Rosamygale grauvogeli is the only known member of the Rosamygale genus.
- The Rosamygale grauvogeli is the oldest known member of Mygalomorphae, one of the three main divisions of spiders (which includes well-known forms like the modern tarantula). With this spider having lived during the Triassic period (with specimens found from the Middle Triassic, ~247-242 million years ago), this Zoan is based on the oldest animal of all known Ancient Zoan fruits.
- The Rosamygale is believed to have caught food by remaining in its habitat and laying webs to trap animals coming near it, rather than going out to actively hunt prey. This resembles Black Maria's behavior shown so far, where she elected to remain in a room in Kaido's fortress and captured Sanji when he entered it, rather than actively hunting Kaido's enemies.
- Despite the exaggerated proportions of the transformation, the real-life Rosamygale grauvogeli was under a centimeter in size.
- This fruit coupled with Black Maria's general character could be a reference to the mythical Jorōgumo, a spider-like yōkai capable of shapeshifting into a beautiful woman in order to lure in and capture unsuspecting men as prey.
- This fruit also resembles the popular modern depiction of the monster Arachne, with a humanoid female top half and a spider bottom half.
- One Piece Manga — Chapter 997 (p. 3), The fruit's power is first used.
- One Piece Manga — Chapter 998 (p. 12-13), The fruit's name is revealed.
- One Piece Manga — Chapter 1005 (p. 2).
- One Piece Manga — Chapter 1004 (p. 14).
- One Piece Manga — Chapter 1005 (p. 12), Brook frees Sanji from Black Maria's web bindings by freezing them.