Semimaru was an elderly balding man, with long white hair and a long beard.
Semimaru was very calm and did not show much of a reaction in crisis, such as when Oden attacked Orochi, as he simply put up a barrier to protect the latter. When he saw Oden humiliate himself on the street of the Flower Capital, he cackled with his family members, enjoying their successes.
Semimaru was loyal to his family, and went along with Higurashi plot to make Orochi the shogun. He was seen laughing with them in triumph after they had forced Kozuki Oden, their rival to the shogunate, to humiliate himself.
Abilities and Powers
- Further information: Bari Bari no Mi
Semimaru ate the Bari Bari no Mi, a Paramecia-type Devil Fruit that allowed him to create barriers at will. With this ability, he was able to easily shield Orochi from attacks with an unbreakable barrier.
Twenty-five years ago, Semimaru was with Orochi and Higurashi when Kozuki Oden returned and attacked Orochi, and he created a barrier to protect Orochi, rendering Oden unable to remove him from power. Five years later, Semimaru accompanied Orochi and Higurashi to Kuri as Orochi told Oden of his intention to build factories there.
- Semimaru's name and profession are possibly inspired by the Japanese poet and musician Semimaru.
- Semimaru (蝉丸?) means 'cicada circle'. The cicada theme is also present in the name of his family member Higurashi.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 96 Chapter 965 (p. 7-12) and Episode 965, Semimaru debuts.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 96 Chapter 969 (p. 3) and Episode 970, Semimaru's identity is confirmed.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 96 Chapter 969 (p. 2-4) and Episode 970, Semimaru protects Orochi.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 71 Chapter 708 (p. 15) and Episode 637, Bartolomeo uses the power of the Bari Bari no Mi.