Logia is the rarest of the three Devil Fruit types. Those who have eaten a Logia fruit are granted the power to transform their body's composition into a natural element at will, as well as create and control it.
In addition to enabling the user to generate a near-infinite amount of a certain element and control it, the defining power of a Logia is the user transforming their body into that element. This ability serves to distinguish Logia fruits from other types, particularly Paramecia-type fruits that grant the ability to generate substances. The only Paramecia ability that enables bodily transformation into a substance is the Mochi Mochi no Mi, a fruit noted as a "special" Paramecia. All canon Logia transformations are of elements which are raw and naturally occurring, while it is worth noting that the Mochi Mochi no Mi enables transformation into a manmade substance. Logia elements have come in all four major states of matter - solid, liquid, gas, and plasma.
If a Logia user transforms part of their body and that part is struck physically by a normal body part or object, the user's real body does not take any damage, and any effect of the attack on the user's elemental form is superficial and the body can be reformed with no issue. Logia users must consciously activate their transformation and cannot do so automatically, although experienced users are capable of transforming on reflex. There are only a few ways to bypass this transformation and successfully injure a transformed Logia user, with the most common methods being the usage of Seastone and Busoshoku Haki. The former renders Devil Fruit users unable to use their power and will instantly revert a transformed Logia user back to their physical form, while the latter simply reverts the part of the user that it strikes back to physical form rather than fully canceling out the transformation. Additionally, if a Logia user's element can be overwhelmed or canceled out with a different element, those elements have been shown to cancel out their abilities and harm their physical bodies. Such instances include water canceling out sand, rubber canceling out lightning, and magma canceling out fire.
In order to generate their substance, a Logia user must first transform part of their body into the substance which then multiplies as they please; this differs from substance-generating Paramecia users, most of whom can generate substances directly from their physical body or even from thin air. As long as the reproducing substance is attached to the user's body, it is considered part of their body, though it appears that that is no longer the case once the user splits it off. If they encounter their substance in nature, a Logia user can merge with it, and the natural substance will become part of their body as well.
The Yami Yami no Mi is quite unlike every other Logia fruit seen so far. Its darkness transformation is not founded in a naturally occurring element, but rather most closely resembles the immense gravitational forces of a black hole that pull in everything, including light. Rather than turning the user's body intangible, the darkness instead amplifies the power of outside strikes which affects the user's body even more. In exchange, however, the user is granted the supernatural ability of being able to cancel out the Devil Fruit ability of any opponent they touch.
|Smoker||Crocodile||Enel||Kuzan||Marshall D. Teach|
|Portgas D. Ace||Monet|
|Honey Queen||Simon||Gasparde *|
- †: the character is deceased.
- *: the character's status is unknown, or show additional information. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
- ≠: the character is non-canon.
- ‡: the character is no longer part of this group. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
- Total Count: 11
- Moku Moku no Mi (English Versions: Smoke-Smoke Fruit/Plume-Plume Fruit): Allows the user to create, control, and transform into smoke. Eaten by Smoker.
- Suna Suna no Mi (English Versions: Sand-Sand Fruit): Allows the user to create, control, and transform into sand. The sand can dehydrate any non-metallic substance it touches. Eaten by Crocodile.
- Mera Mera no Mi (English Versions: Flame-Flame Fruit/Flare-Flare Fruit): Allows the user to create, control, and transform into fire. Eaten by Portgas D. Ace until his death and later eaten by Sabo.
- Goro Goro no Mi (English Versions: Rumble-Rumble Fruit): Allows the user to create, control, and transform into lightning. Eaten by Enel.
- Hie Hie no Mi (English Versions: Chilly-Chilly Fruit/Ice-Ice Fruit): Allows the user to create, control, and transform into ice. Eaten by Kuzan.
- Yami Yami no Mi (English Versions: Dark-Dark Fruit): Allows the user to create, control, and transform into darkness. The darkness has strong gravitational properties and the user has an infinite amount of space inside of their elemental body. Eaten by Marshall D. Teach.
- Pika Pika no Mi (English Versions: Glint-Glint Fruit): Allows the user to create, control, and transform into light. Eaten by Borsalino.
- Magu Magu no Mi (English Versions: Mag-Mag Fruit): Allows the user to create, control, and transform into magma. It has the greatest attack power out of all the Devil Fruits. Eaten by Sakazuki.
- Numa Numa no Mi (English Versions: Swamp-Swamp Fruit): Allows the user to create, control, and transform into mud. The user is a "bottomless swamp", granting them an infinite amount of space inside their elemental body. The mud can also take on the properties of quicksand. Eaten by Caribou.
- Gasu Gasu no Mi (English Versions: Gas-Gas Fruit): Allows the user to create, control, and transform into gas. Eaten by Caesar Clown.
- Yuki Yuki no Mi (English Versions: Snow-Snow Fruit): Allows the user to create, control, and transform into snow. Eaten by Monet until her death.
- Total Count: 2
- Toro Toro no Mi: Allows the user create, control, and transform into an unknown liquid. Eaten by Honey Queen. (Movie 2)
- Pasa Pasa no Mi: Allows the user to create, control, and transform into paper. Eaten by Simon. (Video Game)
- Ame Ame no Mi: Allows the user to create, control, and transform into candy syrup. Eaten by Gasparde. (Movie 4)
Logias are considered the most powerful type of Devil Fruit, with the most powerful Paramecia fruit, the Gura Gura no Mi, being compared to a Logia in terms of power. With Logias granting the ability to transform into forces of nature and seemingly generate infinite amounts of it, just about every Logia has unfathomable offensive capabilities resembling a concentrated natural disaster. Fire and magma transformations can instantly burn opponents, lightning can electrocute opponents with a single strike, and light can blind opponents and pierce through them like lasers. The Gasu Gasu no Mi can create a large variety of gases, many of which are poisonous or explosive and can cause instant death; it is also capable of removing oxygen from the air. The user of the Hie Hie no Mi can instantly freeze people, while the Yuki Yuki no Mi user can give people hypothermia by surrounding them in snow. People who get caught in the swamp made by the Numa Numa no Mi will be trapped in it, and the darkness of the Yami Yami no Mi can pull in any object and reduce it to smithereens.
In addition to their potency against opponents, the forces of nature that Logia users transform into can also have a significant effect on their surrounding environment, from the land and water around them, and even to the climate. This was notably seen on Punk Hazard, where a ten-day battle between Magu Magu no Mi user Sakazuki and Hie Hie no Mi user Kuzan caused half of the island to become a hot, fiery land and the other half to become a cold, snowy land. Additionally, Crocodile was able to use the Suna Suna no Mi to create massive sandstorms in the desert country Arabasta, and Kuzan can travel across the ocean by freezing it. The ability for Logia users to merge with their element means that certain locations make particular Logia users stronger, such as the desert for the Suna Suna no Mi user and gaseous environments for the Gasu Gasu no Mi user. If Logia users are given enough time, their attacks can impact and even destroy areas on an unprecedented scale. Thus, most Logia-type users are capable of unleashing powerful and large-scale attacks rivaled by few. Notable example of Logia users' mass destruction capabilities include Blackbeard pulling an entire town inside him with the Yami Yami no Mi, as well as Enel completely obliterating Angel Island (and planning to obliterate all of Skypiea) with the Goro Goro no Mi.
Defensively, the bodily intangibility of Logia users when transformed makes them extremely difficult, if not impossible, for the vast majority of the world's population to harm, let alone defeat. Unless one has learned Busoshoku Haki (a skill which is not too common outside the New World), or has managed to acquire an element to cancel out a Logia user's power, their only real chance at injuring a Logia user is to take them by surprise and attack before they can transform, a tactic that the majority of Logia users can easily deal with. The warriors of Arabasta, who had no knowledge of Busoshoku Haki, were at a loss for how to injure Crocodile, with the only options they could think of being the consumption of Hero Water to grow physically stronger, which in no way impacted his sand intangibility. On Skypiea, Enel was able to toy with Kamakiri for five minutes by doing nothing but sitting and transforming to render the warrior's constant attacks useless.
Fully transforming their body into an element gives Logia users several advantages, one of those being the ability to disguise themselves by becoming part of their environment. Additionally, fully transformed users are capable of freely manipulating their body's shape at will. Skilled users can utilize this ability to morph their elemental bodies out of the way of attacks that would physically damage them to the point of even forming full fledged holes in their body, as shown by Kuzan and Monet. Charlotte Katakuri, whose fruit is classified as a Paramecia but has the same abilities as a Logia, has perfected this skill with Kenbunshoku Haki to foresee opponents' attacks and transform parts of his body into mochi to shift out of the way accordingly.
Additionally, Logia users can use their element to aid their physical bodies, such as when Enel used his lightning to jumpstart his stopped heart. Users who transform into elements that are lighter than air are capable of flight by transforming the lower half of their body. Logia users have also used their abilities to power machines and objects with their elements. This has been seen with Smoker using smoke to power his Billower Bike, Ace using fire to power his Striker raft, Enel using lightning to power the Ark Maxim, and Caesar Clown feeding gas into a sword hilt to create a flaming sword.
|— Pekoms, after defeating Caribou
The power of Logia fruits can give many untrained users the impression that they are invincible in battle, but this is not the case, especially in dangerous areas like the New World that are full of experienced fighters who know a lot about Devil Fruit abilities.
The most common way to bypass Logia protections is by using Busoshoku Haki. Haki does not prevent Logia users from transforming or completely deactivate the transformation; rather, once a Haki-imbued object makes contact with a transformed body, the body part that is struck reverts to its solid form. Thus, a Logia user that is hit with a Haki-imbued attack in their transformed state will be harmed as if they had not transformed. Being in a transformed state may cause the user to expand and occupy a larger surface area than their normal body would, allowing Haki-wielding opponents to strike and injure them with greater ease.
Additionally, Logia users may lose their intangibility when their bodies come into contact with an element that has a special reaction with their element. When struck by said element, they are affected in the same way as when they are hit by Busoshoku Haki. For example, if the Suna Suna no Mi user comes into contact with water, the sand will stick together or harden, thus forcing the user into the tangible state. Another example is when two Logia users clash and one element is naturally superior to the other, as seen when Sakazuki used his magma to injure Ace's fire body. Alternatively, two Logia elements may completely stalemate upon clashing, such as fire and smoke. Other examples of elements being used to cancel out a Logia user's power were when Monkey D. Luffy bypassed Crocodile's sand by coating his body with water, and later blood, as well as when Luffy bypassed Enel's lightning with just his body due to being made of rubber. Logia users may still be able to outlast and overpower opponents who can bypass their intangibility, and they can use Haki themselves, but being able to bypass intangibility significantly improves a person's chances when fighting Logia users, and they may be able to take the Logia user off-guard, especially if the user is overconfident in their ability.
It is possible to trap a transformed Logia user in an enclosed space, especially if their element is solid, and render it difficult to impossible for them to escape. This was seen when the Straw Hat Pirates caught Caribou inside a barrel and bolted it shut, preventing him from escaping until someone else opened it later. Luffy attempted to defeat Crocodile by eating his transformed head and torso, which did disrupt the Warlord although he was able to quickly burst out. Users with solid and rigid elemental transformations, such as ice, are slower to reform when their elemental bodies are attacked and damaged.
A Logia user may be unable to effectively perform and utilize their transformation if they are overwhelmed by an emotion such as fear. This was seen with Monet, who was gripped with fear after Roronoa Zoro bisected her without Haki and was unable to reform her body for a brief time.
- Every canon Logia comes from a natural element, while filler Logia come from man-made substances.
- Except for Enel, every canon Logia user revealed before the timeskip was present during the Summit War of Marineford.
- The word "Logia" is a Greek word from New Testament scholarship that translates roughly as "sayings, utterances, oracles". It is surmised that given the kanji, this type of Devil Fruit is meant to represent an element of nature "speaking" with force; always with a destructive capacity.
- Trebol utilizes his Paramecia ability, the Beta Beta no Mi, to create a thick coat of mucus over his slim and frail body to trick his opponents into thinking he has a Logia ability.
- In the magazine release of Chapter 863, the Mochi Mochi no Mi was stated to be a Logia, but this has been changed in the volume release into a "special Paramecia".
- The Marines hold the largest number of Logia fruit users in a single organization, with 3 users (formerly 4, before Kuzan quit).