A Logia Devil Fruit is characterized by giving its user the ability to create, control, and transform their body into a natural element.
If all three of these requirements are not met, then the Devil Fruit cannot be classified as a Logia type. Devil Fruits that allow the user to create and control poison, wax, or any other substance, but do not allow the user's body to transform into that element are classified under Paramecia. Likewise, Devil Fruits that change the user's body into a substance but don't bestow the power to create and control said substance are also classified as Paramecia. Furthermore, even if all three requirements are met but the substance itself is not naturally occuring, then it cannot be classified as a Logia.
A common trait among Logia Devil Fruit powers is that of elemental intangibility, and the ability to reform one's elemental body if its structure is disrupted in any way, often from physical attacks. However, this isn't a requirement, as the Yami Yami no Mi is classified as a Logia power, and yet doesn't offer its user an intangible body or the ability to reform after an attack. Other Logia Devil Fruits like the Hie Hie no Mi don't offer its user an intangible body due to the tangible and solid nature of the element (ice in the case of the Hie Hie no mi), but they do offer the ability to reform after physical attacks, and thus offer a virtually invincible body against non-Haki attacks.
Logia Devil Fruits are considered the most powerful of the three Devil Fruit types. They are also the rarest of the three Devil Fruit types overall (not including the Zoan subclass, Mythical Zoan).
|Smoker||Crocodile||Portgas D. Ace †||Enel||Kuzan|
|Marshall D. Teach||Borsalino||Sakazuki||Caribou||Caesar Clown|
- †: the character is deceased.
- *: the character's status is unknown, or show additional information. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
- ≠: the character is non-canon.
- ‡: the character is no longer part of this group. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
- Moku Moku no Mi (English Versions: Smoke-Smoke Fruit/Plume-Plume Fruit): Allows the user to create, control, and transform into smoke. Eaten by Smoker.
- Suna Suna no Mi (English Versions: Sand-Sand Fruit): Allows the user to create, control, and transform into sand. The sand can dehydrate any non-metallic substance it touches. Eaten by Crocodile.
- Mera Mera no Mi (English Versions: Flame-Flame Fruit/Flare-Flare Fruit): Allows the user to create, control, and transform into fire. Eaten by Portgas D. Ace until his death and later eaten by Sabo.
- Goro Goro no Mi (English Versions: Rumble-Rumble Fruit): Allows the user to create, control, and transform into lightning. Eaten by Enel.
- Hie Hie no Mi (English Versions: Chilly-Chilly Fruit/Ice-Ice Fruit): Allows the user to create, control, and transform into ice. Eaten by Kuzan.
- Yami Yami no Mi (English Versions: Dark-Dark Fruit): Allows the user to create, control, and transform into darkness. The darkness has strong gravitational properties and the user has an infinite amount of space inside of their elemental body. Eaten by Marshall D. Teach.
- Pika Pika no Mi (English Versions: Glint-Glint Fruit): Allows the user to create, control, and transform into light. Eaten by Borsalino.
- Magu Magu no Mi (English Versions: Mag-Mag Fruit): Allows the user to create, create, and transform into magma. Eaten by Sakazuki.
- Numa Numa no Mi (English Versions: Swamp-Swamp Fruit): Allows the user to create, control, and transform into mud. The user is a "bottomless swamp", granting them an infinite amount of space inside their elemental body. The mud can take on the properties of quicksand. Eaten by Caribou.
- Gasu Gasu no Mi (English Versions: Gas-Gas Fruit): Allows the user to create, control, and transform into gas. Eaten by Caesar Clown.
- Yuki Yuki no Mi (English Versions: Snow-Snow Fruit): Allows the user to create, control, and transform into snow. Eaten by Monet until her death.
- Toro Toro no Mi (English Version: Jelly-Jelly Fruit): Allows the user create, control, and transform into jelly. Eaten by Honey Queen. (Movie 2)
- Pasa Pasa no Mi (English Version: Paper-Paper Fruit): Allows the user to create, control, and transform into paper. Eaten by Simon. (Video Game)
- Ame Ame no Mi (English Version: Candy-Candy Fruit): Allows the user to create, control, and transform into candy syrup. Eaten by Gasparde. (Movie 4)
One of the most notable strengths of Logia Fruits is their ability to make users' bodies intangible and thus nigh-invulnerable against physical attacks. Once a Logia user transforms into their elemental state, attacking them with simple actions, like punching or slashing with a blade, will not damage the user's actual flesh and blood body, and they can simply reform any damage that their elemental form sustains. The lone fruit that does not enable intangibility is the Yami Yami no Mi, whose darkness absorbs and amplifies attacks rather than bypassing them.
Users who transform into gaseous elements can have attacks pass through them, while users who transform into hazardous elements, like magma, can even damage any opponent or object that strikes them in their transformed state.
A Logia user does not transform into their elemental state automatically, but they can train to transform on reflex rather than on reaction, allowing them to bypass sneak attacks that would have hit them while in their normal solid state.
There are only a few ways to damage a Logia user's body while they are in their transformed state, and typically, fighters who are not heavily experienced or knowledgeable in fighting will greatly struggle to injure, let alone defeat a Logia user.
Fully transforming their body into an element gives Logia users several advantages, one of those being the ability to disguise themselves by becoming part of their environment. Additionally, by transforming, users are capable of freely manipulating their shape at will. Skilled users can utilize this ability to morph their elemental bodies out of the way of attacks that would physically damage them, and even form full fledged holes in their elemental body, as shown by Kuzan and Monet. Charlotte Katakuri, whose fruit is classified as a Paramecia but has the same abilities as a Logia, has perfected this skill with Kenbunshoku Haki to foresee opponents' attacks and transform parts of his body into mochi to shift out of the way accordingly.
Every Logia user seen so far has been able to transform into and generate an element of nature, many of which are damaging to other people and objects upon touching them. Fire and magma transformations can instantly burn opponents, lightning can electrocute opponents with a single strike, and light can blind opponents and pierce through them like lasers. The Gasu Gasu no Mi can create a large variety of gases, many of which are poisonous or explosive and can cause instant death; it is also capable of removing oxygen from the air. The user of the Hie Hie no Mi can instantly freeze people, while the Yuki Yuki no Mi user can give people hypothermia by surrounding them in snow. People who get caught in the swamp made by the Numa Numa no Mi will be trapped in it, and the darkness of the Yami Yami no Mi can pull in any object and reduce it to smithereens.
Further enhancing the monstrous power of Logia users is that they appear to be capable of generating a limitless amount of their element, meaning that if they are given enough time, their attacks can impact and even destroy areas on an unprecedented scale. Thus, most Logia-type users are capable of unleashing powerful and large-scale attacks rivaled by few, and this coupled with their defensive capabilities makes them some of the most dominant and destructive fighters in the world. Notable example of Logia users' mass destruction capabilities are Blackbeard pulling an entire town inside him with the Yami Yami no Mi, as well as Enel completely obliterating Angel Island (and planning to obliterate all of Skypiea) with the Goro Goro no Mi. Additionally, Logia users can use their element to aid their physical bodies, such as when Enel used his lightning to jumpstart his stopped heart. Users who transform into elements that are lighter than air are capable of flight by transforming the lower half of their body.
In addition to their potency against opponents, the forces of nature that Logia users transform into can also have a significant effect on their surrounding environment, from the land and water around them, and even to the climate. This was notably seen on Punk Hazard, where a ten-day battle between Magu Magu no Mi user Sakazuki and Hie Hie no Mi user Kuzan caused half of the island to become a hot, fiery land and the other half to become a cold, snowy land. Additionally, Crocodile was able to use the Suna Suna no Mi to create massive sandstorms in the desert country Alabasta, and Kuzan can travel across the ocean by freezing it. Logia users are also capable of controlling their element when they encounter it in nature, meaning that certain locations make particular Logia users stronger, such as the desert for the Suna Suna no Mi user and gaseous environments for the Gasu Gasu no Mi user.
Logia users have also used their abilities to power machines and objects with their elements. This has been seen with Smoker using smoke to power his Billower Bike, Ace using fire to power his Striker raft, Enel using lightning to power the Ark Maxim, and Caesar Clown feeding gas into a sword hilt to create a flaming sword.
The Yami Yami no Mi is considered to be a unique fruit among the Logia-types, both for the weakness of its lack of intangibility as well as its notable supernatural ability to render other Devil Fruit users powerless when its user touches them.
The power of Logia fruits can give many untrained users the impression that they are invincible in battle, but this is not the case, especially in dangerous areas like the New World that are full of experienced fighters who know a lot about Devil Fruit abilities.
The most common way to bypass Logia protections is by using Busoshoku Haki. Haki does not prevent Logia users from transforming or completely deactivate the transformation; rather, once a Haki-imbued object makes contact with a transformed body, the body part that is struck reverts to its solid form. Thus, a Logia user that is hit with a Haki-imbued attack in their transformed state will be harmed as if they had not transformed. Being in a transformed state may cause the user to expand and occupy a larger surface area than their normal body would, allowing Haki-wielding opponents to strike and injure them with greater ease.
Additionally, Logia users may lose their intangibility when their bodies come into contact with an element that has a special reaction with their element. When struck by said element, they are affected in the same way as when they are hit by Busoshoku Haki. This can happen between two Logia users when one user's element is superior to the other's, as seen when Sakazuki injured Ace's fire body with his magma. Alternatively, two Logia elements may completely stalemate upon clashing, such as fire and smoke. Other examples of elements being used to cancel out a Logia user's power were when Monkey D. Luffy bypassed Crocodile's sand by coating his body with water, and later blood, as well as when Luffy bypassed Enel's lightning with just his body due to being made of rubber. Logia users may still be able to outlast and overpower opponents who can bypass their intangibility, and they can use Haki themselves, but being able to bypass intangibility significantly improves a person's chances when fighting Logia users, and they may be able to take the Logia user off-guard, especially if the user is overconfident in their ability.
It is possible to trap a transformed Logia user in an enclosed space, especially if their element is solid, and render it difficult to impossible for them to escape. This was seen when the Straw Hat Pirates caught Caribou inside a barrel and bolted it shut, preventing him from escaping until someone else opened it later. Luffy attempted to defeat Crocodile by eating his transformed head and torso, which did disrupt the Shichibukai although he was able to quickly burst out.
A Logia user may be unable to effectively perform and utilize their transformation if they are overwhelmed by an emotion such as fear. This was seen with Monet, who was gripped with fear after Roronoa Zoro bisected her without Haki and was unable to reform her body for a brief time.
- Every canon Logia comes from a natural element or force of nature.
- Except for Enel, every Logia user revealed before the timeskip was present during the Battle of Marineford.
- The word "Logia" is a Greek word from New Testament scholarship that translates roughly as "sayings, utterances, oracles". It is surmised that given the kanji, this type of Devil Fruit is meant to represent an element of nature "speaking" with force; always with a destructive capacity.
- Trebol utilizes his Paramecia ability, the Beta Beta no Mi, to create a thick coat of mucus over his slim and frail body to trick his opponents into thinking he has a Logia ability.
- In the magazine release of Chapter 863, the Mochi Mochi no Mi was stated to be a Logia, but this has been changed in the volume release into a "special Paramecia".