- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 Abilities and Powers
- 4 History
- 5 Major Battles
- 6 Early One Piece
- 7 Translation and Dub Issues
- 8 Merchandise
- 9 Trivia
- 10 References
- 11 Site Navigation
Lucky Roux has a round body shape and he is always seen eating a rack of meat. He is shown wearing goggles over his eyes at all times. Out of the entire crew, he appears to have changed the least over the years and shows little in the way of aging. In every appearance, Roux is smiling happily no matter how serious the situation is, such as Shanks clashing with Whitebeard.
He wears a green t-shirt with white vertical stripes on it, paired by a matching bandanna on his head, short white pants (beige in the anime) with a dark green sash around his waist, and green shoes with fur around the ankles. He has a yellow coat draped over his shoulders like a cape, with a fur-lined collar and red epaulets with black stripes on them.
Roux appears to be a very fun loving pirate who is often seen hanging around another one of Shanks's crew members, Yasopp. He seems to be one of Shanks's most trusted crew members, as he is always seen when the Red Hair Pirates are featured, usually when something crucial happens. He shares this trait with Benn Beckman and Yasopp. He is the first person to actually kill someone in One Piece and sets the stage for the series: A pirate's life is a dangerous one.
He has a very large appetite and in the manga he is seen drinking a whole barrel of sake by himself in the background while the crew was at the bar Makino worked in. He is almost always shown with a large grin even during the war, holding a large rack of meat in at least one hand, except for one scene in Episode 316, where he is holding onto a rail without any sign of meat.
Abilities and Powers
Despite his round body, he was able to sneak up on a mountain bandit without being noticed.
East Blue Saga
Romance Dawn Arc
Lucky Roux was first seen in Luffy's past amongst Shanks' crew. He joined in with his crew's fun while they were bragging about a pirate's life in front of Luffy. He was next seen supporting his captain when a bandit pulled a pistol on him and threatened to kill him by killing the bandit first.
Lucky Roux was present when Dracule Mihawk informed his former rival about Luffy's up-and-coming, something that surprised him. The crew threw another party, despite being already worn out by the last one.
Sky Island Saga
Water 7 Saga
Post-Enies Lobby Arc
Lucky Roux watched on as Shanks encountered Whitebeard.
Summit War Saga
His crew intercepted Kaidou, and it can be assumed that he helped in this interception. Upon the Red Hair Pirates arriving at Marineford, he stood alongside Shanks and the rest of the crew. He asked Shanks if he wanted to see Luffy again for the first time in ten years, with food in his mouth.
- Lucky Roux and Benn Beckman vs. Mountain Bandits
- Red Hair Pirates vs. Kaidou (unseen)
- Red Hair Pirates vs. Kid Pirates (unseen)
Early One Piece
Lucky Roux seems to have been the end product of redrawing of a previous fat member of Shanks' crew who appeared in the Romance Dawn in several panels. Notably, Lucky Roux appears in a panel that itself is a repeat from the original Romance Dawn, also in the same part the human chain when the crew is dancing about a pirate's life, he also has mirrored pose that is identical to the original fat crew member from the original Romance Dawn.
Translation and Dub Issues
Sources have remained inconsistent on whether his name should be romanized as Roux or Roo:
- Databook Red, the first "professional" romanization, uses Roo.
- His wanted poster at the One Piece Exhibition uses Roux.
- The Vivre Card series initially used the Roo spelling but later corrected it to Roux on the official website's list of revisions.
- All official English sources, from the Viz manga's translation of Volume 5's SBS (where his name was first revealed) to 4Kids-localized video games such as Grand Battle! and Pirates Carnival, use Roux.
For the purposes of this wiki, Roux is currently treated as the canonical spelling.
(Roux, it should be noted, is the French for a russet-red color; it is also the name of a flour-based thickener commonly used in meat dishes.)
In the 4Kids-dubbed anime, Lucky Roux's pistol was recolored and accompanied with rewritten dialogue ("When he wakes up, tell him it was a cap gun") as well as a softer sound effect to imply he had not actually killed Higuma's underling, but merely caused the bandit to pass out from fright. However, the pistol's firing animation and smoke-trail were left unedited.
- Grand Battle!
- Grand Battle! 2
- One Piece: Grand Battle! 3
- One Piece: Grand Battle! Rush!
- One Piece: Grand Adventure
- One Piece: Gigant Battle! 2 New World
- One Piece: Dance Battle
- One Piece Bon! Bon! Journey!!
- It is likely that his name is a reference to Lucky Luke, a fictional cowboy (gunfighter) from the "Lucky Luke" Franco-Belgian comic book, created by Morris de Bevere. Lucky Luke is known as "The man who shoots faster than his shadow".
- Furthermore, "Roux" means "Redhead" in French, fitting with his captain's epithet.
- Lucky Roux appeared shorter than Shanks in their first appearance in Romance Dawn Arc, but he appeared taller than Shanks when they went to Marineford, currently measuring 42 cm taller than his captain.
- Lucky Roux is the first person to kill someone both in the anime and the manga, by shooting a mountain bandit in the head at point blank range.
- Lucky Roux is the first person to name a Devil Fruit.
- Lucky Roux happens to resemble another pirate from another famous Manga artist Leiji Matsumoto, the creator of several anime and manga series. Many of which consist of Space Operas that involve pirates that sail the universe in search of righting wrongs and solving political and revolutionary idealisms. The character he resembles is named Yattaran, who himself is based off another manga artist Kaoru Shintani (best known for Area 88) who, in his early career worked for Matsumoto building models for reference. This could be a coincidence however it most likely is a small shout out to the earlier works of Leji and Kaoru both whom have been writing manga for much longer than Oda has.
- Lucky Roux's favorite food is bird meat on the bone.