The Marine Headquarters is the main division of the Marine organization that has jurisdiction over the Grand Line. The Marines stationed there are considered "super-elites" among their comrades, and a rank at the other Marine bases is about equivalent to three ranks lower at Headquarters.
Base of Operations
- Further information: Marineford
The Marineford Headquarters was a large, fortress-like building which bore a sign containing the kanji for "Marines" and the Marines' symbol between them, and on top of this structure is a large, multi-story tower styled after an ancient Japanese pagoda. There are mountains at each corner of the structure that each have a small building on top carrying the Marine flag.
In front of the Headquarters was Marineford Town, where families of Marines stationed at Headquarters lived, and the Oris Plaza which contains an execution scaffold. The island itself is shaped like a crescent, and Marineford Bay is located in front of Oris Plaza.
- Further information: New Marineford
The Marine Headquarters here is significantly larger than the one at Marineford, as it even dwarfs Marine battleships. It is much more heavily fortified, with the fortress below the main building being circular and three-tiered and containing more defense cannons. On the sides of the fortress are massive arches which go up to the top, and there is a small building on top of each arch. The main Headquarters building is on top of the fortress between the two arches, and like the Marineford Headquarters, it is a tall tower styled like an ancient Japanese pagoda.
Nothing on the island outside of the Headquarters has been seen, with its entrance standing very close to the coast. The air around Headquarters is filled with bubbles, similar to those on Sabaody Archipelago.
Grand Line Branches
The Marine Headquarters has an unknown number of branch bases scattered across the Grand Line.
- Further information: G-1
G-1 is the base formerly located where New Marineford is now and is currently located on Marineford. The original Headquarters structure still remains, although the front of the fortress now bears the name of G-1 instead of the Marine symbol.
- Further information: G-2
- Further information: G-3
G-3 is located somewhere in the Grand Line. It was briefly seen after the Summit War of Marineford.
- Further information: G-5
G-5 is located in the New World, near the Red Line. Smoker was stationed here after becoming a Vice Admiral. It is notable for the rowdiness, lack of discipline, and cruelty among the Marines stationed there.
- Further information: G-8
G-8 is located in Paradise, below the sky island Skypiea. It is located in a rock formation in the middle of a cape and is heavily fortified, although rarely encounters trouble. The Straw Hat Pirates landed here after leaving Skypiea.
G-F is located on Fron Island in the New World, close to Totto Land. The base and its surrounding buildings are protected by forested cliffs encircling the island. The Straw Hats once invaded this base to steal food.
Outside the Grand Line
The Marine Headquarters usually have their hands full with the Grand Line, and thus have no time to deal with problems in the Four Blues. However, should circumstances be severe enough, or if it so happens to be convenient, HQ would send forces to deal with such situations, the little known cases are:
- Twenty-two years ago, a Buster Call was used on Ohara in the West Blue.
- Twelve to thirteen years ago, Vice Admiral Tsuru chased the Donquixote Pirates in the North Blue.
- Captain Smoker and Master Chief Petty Officer Tashigi were stationed at the Loguetown Marine Base in the East Blue.
- Lieutenant Fullbody ambushed the Krieg Pirates in the East Blue, right after the crew had managed to exit the Grand Line.
- Vice Admiral Garp was sent to the East Blue to pick-up a prisoner, the former captain Morgan, and take him to be prosecuted.
|Kizaru (Borsalino)||Fujitora (Issho)||Ryokugyu|
|Monkey D. Garp *||Tsuru||John Giant||Comil||Momonga|
|T Bone||Very Good||Shu||Sharinguru||Gorilla|
Commanders, Lieutenant Commanders
|Lt. Commander Helmeppo||Lt. Commander Fullbody||Lt. Commander Jango|
Lieutenants, Lieutenant Junior Grades, Ensigns
|Lieutenant Junior Grade Stalker||Ensign Makko|
Other High Ranking Marines
|Inspector General Sengoku||Bogard *||Commodore Kibin ≠||Commander Glove ≠|
Chief Petty Officers, Petty Officers
|Chief Petty Officer Shine||Chief Petty Officer Mashikaku|
|Seaman First Class Lines|
|Fleet Admiral Kong ‡||Admiral Aokiji (Kuzan) ‡||Vice Admiral Jaguar D. Saul ‡ †||Vice Admiral Vergo ‡ †||Ensign Daddy Masterson ‡ ≠|
- †: the character is deceased.
- *: the character's status is unknown, or show additional information. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
- ≠: the character is non-canon.
- ‡: the character is no longer part of this group. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
22 years later, the Marines captured Portgas D. Ace and sentenced him to execution. Drawing the wrath of the Emperor Whitebeard, the Marines prepared for war on Marineford, and many soldiers were summoned to fight. The Marines won the Summit War of Marineford, but the island received significant damage and repairs had to be made afterward.
After Sakazuki took over as Fleet Admiral, he switched the positions of Marine Headquarters and G-1, relocating the Headquarters to the New World on New Marineford. There, Sakazuki attended to business as Fleet Admiral, dealing with the rising alliance of Luffy and Trafalgar Law and later with the Levely.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 5 Chapter 43 (p. 5) and Episode 20, Fullbody is the first HQ Marine to appear in the series.
- SBS One Piece Manga — Vol. 29 (p. 26), The difference between Headquarters and Branch Marines.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 70 Chapter 700 (p. 12) and Episode 629, The Marine Headquarters is seen again after two years.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 11 Chapter 96 (p. 5) and Episode 45, The Marine Headquarters is seen for the first time.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 9 Chapter 79 (p. 12) and Episode 36, Genzo laments that the HQ are too busy with the Grand Line to come help such a remote region.