The Medaka Mermaid Quintuplets (メダカの人魚の五つ子 Medaka no Ningyo no Itsutsugo?, VIZ Media: Guppy Mermaid Quintuplets) are five young Japanese rice fish mermaids who are friends with Camie. Their names are Ichika, Nika, Sanka, Yonka, and Yonka Two.
The Medaka Mermaid Quintuplets are five small identical-looking mermaids. They all have curly, shoulder-length hair and tails with alternating white and colored stripes. They also all wear cowboy hats, crop tops, and bubble rings which allow them to float in the air. They are all physically identical except for their color schemes and the designs of their hats.
Ichika has red hair, a green-striped tail, and light green fins. Her top is white and her hat is green with white polka dots.
Nika has blonde hair, a red-striped tail, and pink fins. Her top is red and her hat matches the red-striped pattern of her tail.
Sanka has orange hair, a blue-striped tail, and light blue fins. Her top is dark blue and her hat is a solid blue color.
Yonka has pink hair, a brown-striped tail, and yellow fins. Her top is brown and her hat is a solid white color.
Yonka Two has brown hair, a yellow-striped tail, and light yellow fins. Her top is black and her hat has a jaguar-print pattern.
The five sisters tend to talk in a unique speech pattern. Ichika starts off first by saying a regular statement. Nika then states an exclamatory version of Ichika's statement. Sanka then states the opposite of the original statement. Yonka then questions the original statement. Lastly, Yonka Two then questions whether the original statement matters or not.
|— A theoretical example of their routine.|
Other than that, they are cheerful, friendly, and usually stay close together.
Abilities and Powers
Fish-Man Island Saga
Fish-Man Island Arc
The quintuplets were first seen in Camie's house when Luffy awakened after he and his crew flew through the bubble surrounding Fish-Man Island, fell into a current, and got separated. As Luffy, Sanji, Usopp, and Chopper got reacquainted with Camie, the quintuplets gave them their dried clothes. Camie then introduced them to the Straw Hats. Afterwards, they went up to Mermaid Cove along with Camie and Luffy's group.
Later, they informed Camie about the arrival of the royal gondola, and questioned whether or not royalty was on board. They appeared concerned when Fukaboshi scolded the mermaids in the cove for harboring pirates.
They were then seen in Coral Hill when the royal guards started suspecting the Straw Hats of kidnapping mermaids. Later on, they heard the news of the Straw Hats "taking over" the Ryugu Palace, and were in disbelief.
After the battle for Fish-Man Island, the quintuplets were seen dancing at the banquet in the Ryugu Palace. When the Straw Hats finally departed Fish-Man Island, the quintuplets were there to bid them farewell.
- The quintuplets names are based on Japanese numbers. Ichika comes from ichi, meaning 1. Nika comes from ni, meaning 2. Sanka comes from san, meaning 3. Lastly, Yonka comes from yon meaning 4. This creates a pun based on the first four sisters' names, as there is a numerical pattern. Based on this pattern, Yonka Two's name would naturally be expected to be Goka from go, meaning 5, as Usopp points out in their introduction. Instead however, her name breaks the pattern.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 62 Chapter 608 (p. 9-12, 14-15) and Episode 527, Camie introduces the Medaka Mermaid Quintuplets to the Straw Hats.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 62 Chapter 609 (p. 6-7, 19) and Episode 528.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 62 Chapter 612 (p. 6) and Episode 531.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 62 Chapter 614 (p. 9) and Episode 533.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 66 Chapter 649 (p. 14) and Episode 569.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 66 Chapter 653 (p. 10) and Episode 573.