A Meito is a blade of exceptional quality and worldwide fame.
|— Tenguyama Hitetsu on the classes of Meitos.|
Meitos are famous bladed weapons of high quality and superior craftsmanship. They are prized by many for their immense cutting power and exceptional durability that makes them far superior to ordinary weapons.
Meitos are considered priceless items, being worth millions, or even tens of millions of bellies. Some of them are family heirlooms, or even a country's most prized national treasure.
There are currently four known grades of Meito. Supreme Grade, of which there are 12; Great Grade, of which there are 21; Skillful Grade of which there are 50; and Grade, of which there is a currently unknown number.
There is a circumstance where, after countless battles, a swords blade will permanently turn black, thus it will become what is known as a "Black Blade" (黒刀 Kokutō?). Black Blades are stronger than ordinary swords and are well known for their impressive resilience; a dinosaur could step on one and it wouldn’t bend at all. It is said that should a swordsman be able to turn their blade into a Black Blade, its grade would increase by a rank.
|Wado Ichimonji||Shusui||Nidai Kitetsu||Enma||Ame no Habakiri|
12 Supreme Grade Swords
The twelve Supreme Grade Swords (最上大業物 Saijō Ō Wazamono?) are the twelve highest quality blades in the world. They have displayed incredible feats, such as being exposed to the harshest elements without losing their edge, and slashing through massive structures.
21 Great Grade Swords
The twenty-one Great Grade Swords (大業物 Ō Wazamono?) are among the highest quality blades in the world, second only to the twelve Supreme Grade swords. These blades are well known for their incredible power and possessing great balance in terms of strength, sharpness, and durability. In the hands of a capable swordsmen, they can even stand up to the Supreme Grade Swords in combat.
- Nidai Kitetsu (Cursed) (Kotetsu → Tenguyama Hitetsu)
- Wado Ichimonji (Shimotsuki Kozaburo → Koushirou → Kuina → Roronoa Zoro)
- Shusui (Ryuma → Roronoa Zoro → Wano Country)
- Enma (Shimotsuki Kozaburo → Kozuki Oden → Kozuki Hiyori → Roronoa Zoro)
- Ame no Habakiri (Tenguyama Hitetsu → Kozuki Oden → Kozuki Momonosuke)
50 Skillful Grade Swords
The fifty Skillful Grade Swords (良業物 Ryō Wazamono?) are blades of a very high quality, outclassed only by the twelve Supreme Grade swords and the twenty-one Great Grade swords. These swords yield exceptional strength, sharpness, durability, with their light weight being a key factor for speed-based swordsmanship.
- Kashu (Mr. 11 → Tashigi)
- Yubashiri (Destroyed) (Ipponmatsu → Roronoa Zoro)
- Yamaoroshi (Billy → Tashigi)
The Grade Swords (業物 Wazamono?) are blades of a high quality, outclassed only by the twelve Supreme Grade Swords, twenty-one Great Grade Swords, and fifty Skillful Grade Swords. The total number of Grade Swords is unknown. They are the lowest classification for a Meito blade. However, despite their lower quality, they still yield far superior attributes and strength compared to normal blades such as exceptional resilience and cutting power against sturdy foes.
- Oto and Kogarashi are a pair of double-edged swords which belong to Shiki.
- Raiu: a nodachi belonging to Shiryu.
- Durandal: a rapier belonging to Cavendish.
- Shirauo: a nodachi belonging to Charlotte Amande.
- Pretzel: a longsword belonging to Charlotte Cracker.
- Hitetsu's sword: an unnamed sword belonging to Tenguyama Hitetsu.
Translation and Dub Issues
In One Piece, meito is often mistranslated as either part of the name of a sword (e.g. Zoro's Shusui is often recorded by fans as "Meito Shusui" instead of just "Shusui", ignoring the fact that meito is a status) or as a "renowned blade" (understandable given that if broken up, 名刀 gives 名 "renowned" and 刀 "sword").
Meito is translated simply as Famous Sword in the Viz Manga and Legendary Sword in the FUNimation dub.
- The Meito rankings of the One Piece world heavily resembles the real world Wazamono classified swords.
- Meito can mean "named sword", although not all swords with names in the series are Meito.
- With five, Zoro has held the most meito to date.
- Tashigi's dream is to free all the meito from the hands of criminals such as pirates. She believes the swords are crying because instead of being used for noble and honorable deeds, they are being used for criminal activity.
- The anime-only character Eric claimed that the wind scythes created from his Kama Kama no Mi powers are as sharp as a meito.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 95 Chapter 955 (p. 17).
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 11 Chapter 97 and Episode 49, Tashigi reveals the various classes of swords to Zoro.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 0 Chapter 0 and Episode 0, Shiki asks Hannyabal where are his two meito: Oto and Kogarashi.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 71 Chapter 708 and Episode 637, Cavendish's sword is named and seen in use against Chinjao.
- Vivre Card - One Piece Visual Dictionary (Card #1011).
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 91 Chapter 912 (p. 10) and Episode 897, Hitetsu reveals that his sword is a Meito.
- One Piece Anime — Episode 56, Eric claims his wind scythes are as sharp as a Meito.