Meito is the status of a blade.
Meitos are famous swords or spears of superior craftsmanship, being crafted by master swordsmiths. They are prized by many for their powerful attributes as weapons compared to ordinary ones.
Meitos are considered priceless items, with several of them becoming family heirlooms or even a country's national treasure.
|Wado Ichimonji||Shusui||Nidai Kitetsu||Enma||Ame no Habakiri|
12 Supreme Grade SwordsEdit
21 Great Grade SwordsEdit
- Nidai Kitetsu (Cursed) (Kotetsu → Tenguyama Hitetsu)
- Wado Ichimonji (Shimotsuki Kozaburo → Koushirou → Kuina → Roronoa Zoro)
- Shusui (Ryuma → Roronoa Zoro → Northern Cemetery, Ringo, Wano Country)
- Enma (Shimotsuki Kozaburo → Kozuki Oden → Kozuki Hiyori → Roronoa Zoro)
- Ame no Habakiri (Tenguyama Hitetsu → Kozuki Oden → Kozuki Momonosuke)
50 Skillful Grade SwordsEdit
- Kashu (Mr. 11 → Tashigi)
- Yubashiri (Ipponmatsu → Roronoa Zoro → Destroyed)
- Yamaoroshi (Billy → Tashigi)
- Oto and Kogarashi are a pair of double-edged swords which belong to Shiki.
- Raiu: a nodachi belonging to Shiryu.
- Durandal: a rapier belonging to Cavendish.
- Shirauo: a nodachi belonging to Charlotte Amande.
- Pretzel: a longsword belonging to Charlotte Cracker.
- Hitetsu's sword: an unnamed sword belonging to Tenguyama Hitetsu.
Translation and Dub IssuesEdit
In One Piece, meito is often mistranslated as either part of the name of a sword (e.g. Zoro's Shusui is often recorded by fans as "Meito Shusui" instead of just "Shusui", ignoring the fact that meito is a status) or as a "renowned blade" (understandable given that if broken up, 名刀 gives 名 "renowned" and 刀 "sword").
Meito is translated simply as Famous Sword in the Viz Manga and Legendary Sword in the FUNimation dub.
- Meito can mean "named sword", although not all swords with names in the series are Meito.
- With five, Zoro has held the most meito to date.
- Tashigi's dream is to free all the meito from the hands of criminals such as pirates. She believes the swords are crying because instead of being used for noble and honorable deeds, they are being used for criminal use.
- The anime-only character Eric claimed that the wind scythes created from his Kama Kama no Mi powers are as sharp as a meito.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 11 Chapter 97 and Episode 49, Tashigi reveals the various classes of swords to Zoro.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 0 Chapter 0 and Episode 0, Shiki asks Hannyabal where are his two meito: Oto and Kogarashi.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 71 Chapter 708 and Episode 637, Cavendish's sword is named and seen in use against Chinjao.
- ↑ Vivre Card - One Piece Visual Dictionary (Card #1011).
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 91 Chapter 912 (p. 10) and Episode 897, Hitetsu reveals that his sword is a Meito.
- ↑ One Piece Anime — Episode 56, Eric claims his wind scythes are as sharp as a Meito.