Meito is the status of a sword.
|Nidai Kitetsu||Wado Ichimonji||Shusui|
12 Saijo O Wazamono Grade SwordsEdit
21 O Wazamono Grade SwordsEdit
- Nidai Kitetsu (Cursed) (Kotetsu → Tenguyama Hitetsu)
- Wado Ichimonji (Kuina → Roronoa Zoro)
- Shusui (Ryuma → Roronoa Zoro)
50 Ryo Wazamono Grade SwordsEdit
- Kashu (Mr. 11 → Tashigi)
- Yubashiri (Ipponmatsu → Roronoa Zoro → Destroyed)
- Yamaoroshi (Billy → Tashigi)
Wazamono Grade SwordsEdit
- Oto and Kogarashi are a pair of double-edged swords which belong to Shiki.
- Raiu: a nodachi belonging to Shiryu.
- Durandal: a rapier belonging to Cavendish.
- Shirauo: a nodachi wielded by Amande.
- Gryphon: a saber belonging to Shanks.
In One Piece, meito is often mistranslated as either part of the name of a sword (e.g. Zoro's Shusui is often recorded by fans as "Meito Shusui" instead of just "Shusui", ignoring the fact that meito is a status) or as a "renowned blade" (understandable given that if broken up, 名刀 gives 名 "renowned" and 刀 "sword").
Tashigi's dream is to free all the meito from the hands of criminals such as pirates. She believes the swords are crying because instead of being used for noble and honorable deeds, they are being used for criminal use. Her reason for tracking Zoro is to gain ownership of his meito, the Wado Ichimonji, which she believes is in the hands of a malicious person. As of yet, she has no victories over Zoro in her quest and, as far as readers know, while she has taken the swords Kashu and Yamaoroshi, she has taken none of the meito in her journey of justice, while Zoro still possesses Wado Ichimonji and has also acquired Shusui.
Meito is translated simply as Famous Sword in the Viz Manga and Legendary Sword in the FUNimation dub.
- Meito can mean "named sword", although not all swords with names in the series are Meito.
- So far in the series, Zoro has held the most meito to date.
- Charlotte Cracker has stated that his longsword Pretzel is special and holds no equal, but the validity of his statement is unconfirmed.
- The anime-only character Eric claimed that the wind scythes created from his Kama Kama no Mi powers are as sharp as a meito.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 11 Chapter 97 and Episode 49, Tashigi reveals the various classes of swords to Zoro.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 0 Chapter 0 and Episode 0, Shiki asks Hannyabal where are his two meito: Oto and Kogarashi.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 71 Chapter 708 and Episode 637, Cavendish's sword is named and seen in use against Chinjao.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 83 Chapter 837 and Episode 798.
- ↑ One Piece Anime — Episode 56, Eric claims his wind scythes are as sharp as a Meito.