The Mimawarigumi was a squad of samurai who once served under Kurozumi Orochi, the former shogun of Wano Country. After the seeming death of Orochi by Kaido's hands, the members of the Mimawarigumi swore loyalty to Kaido, effectively becoming part of the Beasts Pirates.
The Mimawarigumi was a group of elite samurai well-respected in the Flower Capital, capable enough to be entrusted by Orochi to be his personal bodyguards alongside the Orochi Oniwabanshu.
Allies and Affiliates
Four Emperors Saga
Wano Country Arc
On the day of the Fire Festival, they accompanied Orochi to Onigashima, where they were introduced to the crowd by Queen. As Kaido announced the New Onigashima Project, the Mimawarigumi witnessed Kaido betraying and beheading Orochi, and the group was offered the choice to join the Beasts Pirates or die. Hotei swore allegiance to Kaido, with little protest from his subordinates, effectively dissolving the group.
Translation and Dub Issues
In the VIZ translation of Chapter 951, the Mimawagumi are not distinguished by name. Instead, the line referring to the group simply reads "...with samurai and ninja on patrol in every quarter!!". The VIZ translation first gives the name "Mimawarigumi" in Chapter 978.
- The group may have been inspired by Kyoto Mimawarigumi, a special police force that operated in the Kyoto region during the Edo period.
- The Mimawarigumi also wore Haori with sleeves trimmed with mountain stripes similar to the Shisengumi, a famous special police force that also operated in the Kyoto region during the Edo period.
- In Chapter 960, two men wearing the same uniform as the Mimawarigumi were seen working for Kozuki Sukiyaki, the shogun of Wano Country at the time. It is unknown if these men were part of the same group as the current Mimawarigumi, but it appears likely that Orochi co-opted aspects of this group for his own police force, as he did with the Oniwabanshu.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 94 Chapter 951 (p. 2) and Episode 951, The Mimawarigmumi debut.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 98 Chapter 986 (p. 6).
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 95 Chapter 958, Mimawarigumi take part in the Shogun's procession.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 97 Chapter 978 (p. 14-15), Mimawarigumi at Onigashima.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 98 Chapter 985.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 95 Chapter 960 (p. 12-15), Men wearing the same uniform as the Mimawarigumi are seen in the past.