- Mokumoku (モクモク/もくもく?) is onomatopoeic Japanese for smoke (or clouds, etc.) rising, rolling, and billowing up.
- "Moku" is contained within Sumōku (スモーク?), the Japanese way of pronouncing "smoke" in English.
- "Moku" is an anagram of Kumo (雲?), which means "cloud" in Japanese.
The Moku Moku no Mi is a grayish spherical fruit with sections that resemble puffy clouds with a swirl on each and a green stem sprouting on top of it. It resembles a melon.
Strengths and Weaknesses
The user of this fruit is able to generate, manipulate, and become smoke. Like with most other Logia fruits, when Smoker is hit, he can simply use the fruit's power to become smoke, thus absorbing the attack and remaining unharmed. Like some of the other Logia type Devil Fruits, it allows its user to "fly", by turning his body or the lower part of it into smoke, greatly enhancing his movement and speed.
The main offensive capabilities of the fruit stem from its user's ability to change the density of the smoke produced at will. This allows Smoker to surround his targets with his intangible smoke and then solidify it to grasp them. This power has granted Smoker his epithet The White Hunter.
The smoke can also be used as a blunt weapon, hitting enemies with great strength. However, it is possible to escape the smoke's hold with a sudden, strong enough expansion of the body (such as Luffy's Gomu Gomu no Fusen).
It would seem that when confronted by fire, they will cancel out one another; other than that, no specific natural weakness has yet to be seen. With his current mastery over his powers, the only reliable way to injure Smoker is through the use of Haki, as Hancock did during their short battle, or through the standard Devil Fruit weaknesses.
It has been noted by many targets of this power that the created smoke is quite foul, to the point of causing people to cough. However, Smoker has so far not been seen exploiting its debilitating effects on other people's respiration.
Smoker has mainly used the smoke produced by his fruit to capture his opponents, earning him the epithet "White Hunter". He can manipulate the smoke's density to make it thick or thin, allowing him to hold and constrict others within it. Like most Logia users, he can fly by turning his lower body into smoke and propelling himself like a rocket. By the time he participated in the Summit War of Marineford, Smoker has mastered this Devil Fruit to the point of perfection and can turn into smoke reflexively if attacked.
Smoker has shown higher understanding and skill of the basic mechanics of his Logia abilities than most other characters in One Piece, able to selectively transform and manipulate his normal and smoke body parts in tandem to catch enemies by surprise. One of his more common battle tactics is to turn into smoke, spread it over a wider area, then suddenly manifest his human body parts from the smoke to attack from unexpected angles. On one occasion, when facing Law, Smoker was able to fake his own death while turned into smoke after being impaled by a rock, only to manifest his human legs out of his transformed smoke body to surprise attack the Warlord. Another common tactic of Smoker’s is to transform his limbs into smoke, but not his hands, enabling him to strike opponents with his Seastone-tipped jitte from a much greater range, or to launch himself jitte-first at his opponents like a rocket by transforming his lower body into smoke to quickly pin them down.
Smoker has also been shown to power the engine of his motorbike, the Billower Bike, with his smoke powers, allowing ground travel.
- White Out (ホワイト・アウト Howaito Auto?): Smoker shoots clouds of normal smoke from his arms and uses them to engulf his opponent, then makes the smoke dense to trap them inside. This attack can be used to ensnare many people at the same time while his troops prepare to arrest Smoker's captives. This attack was first used against the Buggy Pirates. In the 4Kids dub, this attack is called Smoke Screen. The Funimation dub calls this technique White-Out Time, but also as Smoke Screen. In the Odex dub, this attack is called Smoker's White Out.
- White Blow (ホワイト・ブロー Howaito Burō?): Smoker shoots a cloud of dense smoke from his arms to blast his opponent. After striking, he can then trap his opponent like with the White Out attack. He has another variation of this attack where he turns only one arm (except his fist) into smoke and launches the fist at his opponent as a long-range punch. Smoker first used this attack in Loguetown against Sanji, who was directly hit in the upper body and thrashed against a pillar. This attack is called White Fist in the Viz Manga, Smoke Strike in the 4Kids dub, Smoke Screen in the Funimation dub (though it is referred to as White Blow in a later dubbed episode), and its Japanese name is kept in the Odex dub.
- White Snake (ホワイトスネーク Howaito Sunēku?): Smoker launches a long "snake" of dense smoke from his hand that has is follow the opponent until it hits and grabs them. This is sometimes followed by him thrashing his foe around. Smoker used this attack to follow Monkey D. Luffy over several rooftops until his prey managed to escape him. In the 4Kids dub, this is called Smoke Snake.
- White Vine (
白蔓Howaito Bain?): Smoker transforms into a spiraling column of smoke to trap his enemies or to grab an airborne target. Smoker tried to catch Luffy with this technique, but he blew the smoke away with the Gomu Gomu no Fusen and escaped. In the 4Kids dub, this is called Smoke Stack.
- White Launcher (ホワイトランチャー Howaito Ranchā?): Smoker transforms himself into smoke and launches himself at his opponent, then solidifies again and pins his opponent down with the Nanashaku Jitte. It was first used against Luffy in Marineford. In the Funimation sub, this is called Smoke Launcher. In the Funimation dub, it retains its original name.
Anime Only Techniques
- White Spark (ホワイト・スパーク Howaito Supāku?): Smoker transforms his whole body into a cloud of dense smoke and charges at the opponent. Smoker uses this attack after blocking Ace's Kagero with his White Blow. In the 4Kids dub, this is called Smoke Spark.
Video Game Only Techniques
- White Cloud (ホワイトクラウド Howaito Kuraudo?): Smoker rushes diagonally while airborne with the lower half of his body transformed into smoke. It appeared in Grand Battle! 2.
- White Shoot (ホワイトシュート Howaito Shūto?): After knocking enemy to the air, Smoker rushes toward them and kicks with the lower half of his body transformed into smoke much like White Cloud. It appeared in Grand Battle! 2.
- White Strike (ホワイト・ストライク Howaito Sutoraiku?): Smoker transforms himself into smoke and smashes the ground with his right fist, causing a shockwave and releasing a cloud of smoke in a circle around him that traps enemies like his White Out attack. It appeared in Pirate Warriors 3 as Smoker's unique skill where he instead uppercuts with his right fist, unleashing a column of smoke around himself that launches targets.
- Jitte Ranbu (十手乱舞 Jitte Ranbu?, literally meaning "Jitte Wild Dance"): Smoker swings the jitte multiple times for horizontal strikes, hitting the enemy into the air, before using his smoke powers to circle back around and deliver a final blow that knocks multiple foes far back. It appeared in Pirate Warriors 3 as Smoker's first Special Attack.
- White Hound (ホワイト・ハウンド Howaito Haundo?): Smoker transforms himself into smoke and releases dense smoke into a large circle around him. Surrounding enemies are drawn into him at the center, where he attacks them rapidly with a flurry of strikes from his jitte while the whole area is covered in smoke before launching them away. It appeared in Pirate Warriors 3 as Smoker's second Special Attack.
- White Blow Rush (ホワイト・ブローラッシュ Howaito Burō Rasshu?): Smoker hits an enemy with his jitte, then uses White Blow repeatedly, and hits the enemy again with his weapon. It appeared in Burning Blood.
- This was the first Logia fruit revealed in the series.
- This was the last Devil Fruit revealed in the East Blue Saga.
- The color of the smoke changed throughout the anime, starting as a darker shade of grey in Loguetown, to its current lighter grey color.
- Smoke – Wikipedia article about smoke, the power this fruit is based on.
- Smoking – Wikipedia article about smoking.