Napoleon the Bicorne is a homie taking the form of a bicorne hat that is worn by Big Mom. He can also become a sword that Big Mom uses in combat. He is a special kind of homie, as he received a soul fragment from Big Mom herself, and serves as one of her personal weapons alongside Prometheus and Hera, and formerly Zeus.
Napoleon is an extremely large pink bicorne hat with a Jolly Roger on the front; the Jolly Roger consists of a skull with yellow eyes, two crossed knives, and a curled white mustache. He emotes through the skull of the Jolly Roger, seeing with its eyes and talking with its mouth. Napoleon also has a yellow stripe around his top, and a fastener on his left side.
Napoleon also can turn into a form of a giant blade with insane-looking eyes and a wicked sharp-toothed grin on the sharp edge.
20 years before the current timeline, Napoleon had a crack on his right forehead.
Napoleon is often seen making the same expressions as Big Mom, and usually keeps a straight face otherwise. He is very loyal to Big Mom, as shown when he instantly went to attack a disturbance in Big Mom's room along with Zeus and Prometheus. He cares about Sweet City and its well-being, as he tried to stop Big Mom from destroying it in one of her craving-induced rampages. When in his blade form, Napoleon displays a more aggressive personality, threatening to bisect Jinbe and encouraging Big Mom's rampage. As with Prometheus, Napoleon sees Zeus being a liability to the crew for his constant failures and setbacks, and showed no regret at Zeus being disposed of by Linlin and Hera.
However, without Big Mom, Napoleon displays a far meeker personality. While Big Mom was amnesiac, he remained quiet, only reawakening when Big Mom regained her memories, saying that the reason he did not say anything up to that point was because he was shy around strangers. Similarly, when he was attacked and separated from Big Mom by Killer, Napoleon fearfully pleaded to be left alone, claiming to just be "a regular sword".
Abilities and Powers
Napoleon is far more powerful than normal homies, being made from a fragment of Big Mom's very own soul. This gives the bicorne a will strong enough to resist the soul projection of the Yomi Yomi no Mi's user. It is capable of receiving telepathic signals from other homies and relaying the received information back to Big Mom.
Napoleon can take the form of a sword, with the handle at his bottom and the blade at his top, which allows him to attack on his own or be grabbed and wielded by Big Mom. He can also transfer his soul into his blade, becoming a sword homie. When doing this, Napoleon can freely manipulate the shape of the sword, extending the blade at will or turning into different kinds of of blades, including a cutlass, longsword, a seax with a serrated tip, and a gladius. The blades he turns into are extremely powerful, capable of clashing equally with Kaido's kanabo without sustaining any damage.
- Ikoku (威国 Ikoku?, literally meaning "Mighty Nation"): Big Mom swings Napoleon in his longsword form with such force that she creates a shockwave that destroys everything in its path, enough to pierce through a large part of Whole Cake Island. The speed and range of this attack is such that Kingbaum, a noted fast runner, could not completely avoid it in time, losing about a third of his face to the wave. Befitting its description as "Spear of Elbaf" (エルバフの槍 Erubafu no Yari?), and as noted by Luffy, it is very similar to Dorry and Brogy's combination attack, Hakoku. In the Viz manga, it is called Ikoku Sovereignty.
- Cognac (
皇帝剣Konyakku?, literally meaning "Emperor Blade"): Napoleon turns into his seax form, and Big Mom sets his blade alight with Prometheus's flames, resulting in a weapon that both cuts and burns the opponent. This is apparently Napoleon's most powerful form, as Big Mom's children were surprised that Jinbe was able to block it, even if only for a few moments. Napoleon can also stretch the blade to increase its range, at least to the entire length of the Thousand Sunny. Cognac is a type of liquor that is typically used to flambé food by creating a burst of flames, referencing how Napoleon's blade is similarly set alight by Prometheus' flames.
- Hahaba (
破々刃Hahaba?, literally meaning "Blade of Destructions"): With Cognac activated, Big Mom swings Napoleon horizontally at her opponent. This attack has a tremendous amount of power, sending Jinbe flying a great distance away despite him trying to block it with Haki. The pun of this attack name is that its pronunciation is the same as haha (母) and ba (婆), Japanese for "mother" and "grandmother" respectively, referencing Big Mom's many children and grandchildren. This is called Mama-Mash in the Viz Manga.
- Haha no Hi (刃母の炎 Haha no Hi?, literally meaning "Blade Mother's Blaze"): With Cognac activated, Big Mom swings Napoleon down vertically at her foe, with the impact creating a fiery explosion. The attack name is a pun on "Mother's Day" (母の日 Haha no Hi?). This is called Happy Mother's Blaze in the Viz Manga.
- Hakai (覇海 Hakai?, literally meaning "Supremacy Sea"): A combined attack by Big Mom and Kaido. Standing side to side, Big Mom swings Napoleon in his Cognac form, while simultaneously Kaido in his Human-Beast form swings his kanabo. The combined power of the Emperor's strikes creates a powerful explosion-like wave of force that quickly travels forward and absolutely devastates anything in its wake; the attack was shown to dwarf the island of Onigashima, and Roronoa Zoro was heavily injured even by just attempting to block the attack for a moment. Like Ikoku, this move is very similar to Dorry and Brogy's combined Hakoku technique, featuring even the same poses. In the VIZ Manga, this is called Conquest of the Sea.
- Hahaba (
- "Tamashii no Kuni" no Nushi-tachi ("魂の国"の主達 "Tamashii no Kuni" no Nushi-tachi?, literally meaning "Masters of the Land of Souls"): Big Mom combines the full power of her special homies into her strongest combat mode, apparently used only as a last resort (as even Big Mom's children were not aware of it). The first time she used it, while chasing the Thousand Sunny, she rode a fully-powered Zeus, revealed Napoleon's strongest sword form and had a fully-powered Prometheus merge with her hair, granting her a flaming mane. The second time she used it, against the Worst Generation at the rooftop of Onigashima, she instead rode a fully-powered Prometheus, wielding Napoleon's Cognac form in her left hand and a fully-powered Zeus in her right hand. This technique was unnamed both in the manga and anime, only being named in the game One Piece: Treasure Cruise.
- Maser Ho (
鳴光砲Mēzā Hō?, literally meaning "Roaring Light Cannon"): A combined attack with his fellow special homies Prometheus and Hera. The three homies assemble together, with Napoleon's gladius blade piercing through Prometheus at its base and Hera at its tip, and Prometheus and Hera combining their energies, forming several tendrils of lightning and fire that create a large circular ring in between them. Then, by swinging Napoleon, Big Mom unleashes the energies in the form of a thin, highly concentrated beam that can pierce through flesh in an instant and culminates in a large explosion. It was first used against Ulti, easily piercing through her tough scaly skin and immediately knocking her unconscious despite her superhuman durability. A maser is a device that produces coherent electromagnetic waves, especially microwaves, through amplification by stimulated emission. The technique's name may also be a reference to the Maser Cannon, a fictional weapon in the Godzilla film franchise. In the Viz translation, this is called Maser Cannon.
Whole Cake Island Arc
When Big Mom developed a craving for croquembouche and went on a rampage through Sweet City, Napoleon grew worried and tried convincing her to not destroy the city, though his pleas were not heard. Big Mom was later satiated by Jinbe.
Two days later, Napoleon discussed with his captain about Monkey D. Luffy's chances of defeating Charlotte Cracker and escaping the Seducing Woods, assuming the invader was doomed since the very moment he confronted Cracker. He also told Big Mom about the recent arrival of Vinsmoke Ichiji and Vinsmoke Niji on the island.
When Big Mom slept that night, she spotted a fly and slammed it into the ground. Thinking there was an intruder in the room, Napoleon turned into a large sword and, along with Zeus and Prometheus, attacked the spot where Big Mom swatted the fly, before going back to sleep.
On the day of Sanji and Pudding's wedding, Napoleon was worn by Big Mom for the event as they eagerly awaited for their chance to assassinate the Vinsmoke Family. However, the unexpected arrival of the Straw Hat Pirates and their breaking of Big Mom's beloved picture of Mother Carmel resulted in Big Mom flying into a rage and releasing a powerful burst of Haki that seemingly knocked out Napoleon as well, leaving his eyes completely blackened.
After the Whole Cake Chateau collapsed and Big Mom began having a craving illness for wedding cake, Perospero lied to her and told her that the Straw Hats had a spare cake. Big Mom quickly caught up to them while riding on Zeus and prepared to attack them with Napoleon's sword form. Using Napoleon, Big Mom unleashed a devastating air slash that sliced off part of Kingbaum, which the Straw Hats were riding. As Big Mom prepared to attack again, Nami diverted Zeus' attention with thunderclouds, which caused the cloud homie to veer off-course to eat them, dropping Big Mom and Napoleon to the ground. As Prometheus angrily asked Zeus what he was doing, Napoleon reflected on how absorbed Zeus was by the thunderclouds.
As Big Mom pursued the Thousand Sunny on the seas with Perospero's assistance, Perospero conversed with Napoleon and spoke of his newfound hatred for the Straw Hats due to the injuries Pedro inflicted on him. Napoleon then commented that criminals of Totto Land do not have a future. Napoleon continued to accompany Big Mom as she rampaged on Nuts Island after attempting to sink the Thousand Sunny with a massive wave homie. After leaving Nuts Island, they resumed pursuing the Sunny again.
As Big Mom summoned Zeus and Prometheus back to her side, she wielded Napoleon in his sword form and went to attack the Sunny herself along with her special homies. When Jinbe said that there was no cake on the ship, Big Mom grew enraged and activated Napoleon's Cognac form before attacking the fish-man, sending him flying into the ocean. She then used Napoleon to slice into the Sunny to find the cake, but Jinbe came back and blew them off the ship with a powerful attack. Big Mom quickly recovered, and Napoleon's blade stretched as they prepared to slice the entire Sunny in half. The Straw Hats managed to manipulate Zeus to shock Big Mom and Napoleon with lightning, but the two of them and Prometheus recovered and pursued the Sunny again.
When the Fire Tank Pirates approached the Thousand Sunny, they discovered the cake on Bege's ship and went after the Fire Tank Pirates as they sailed to Liqueur Island. The Fire Tank Pirates later changed course to Funwari Island and Napoleon remained in Big Mom's hands as she followed them to that island and ate the cake.
Wano Country Arc
Napoleon accompanied Big Mom as she and her crew tried to enter Wano Country by climbing the waterfall around the country on the Queen Mama Chanter. However, just before they reached the top, King flew in and attacked the ship, causing it and everyone on it to fall into the sea. Afterwards, Napoleon washed ashore on Kuri Beach along with Big Mom. Big Mom suffered amnesia from the experience and Napoleon remained silent from then on.
Napoleon finally talked again when Big Mom (who had now recovered from her amnesia) called for him during her imprisonment on Onigashima. Napoleon revealed that he had remained silent while Big Mom was amnesiac due to being shy. He was then used by Big Mom to clash with Kaido's kanabo, with the force of the impact splitting the sky in two.
The Ninja-Pirate-Mink-Samurai Alliance started an all-out war during the Fire Festival. Angered by Luffy's continued interferences in her affairs, Big Mom attacked him with Napoleon, blasting a hole straight through the walls of Onigashima, but Luffy dodged the attack. The attack destroyed the sacred tree to which Sasaki had been chained, freeing him. After Big Mom was knocked down by Franky and the Kurosai FR-U IV, Napoleon hovered over her in concern. Further aggravated by the continued interference of the Straw Hats, Big Mom grabbed Napoleon and prepared to attack Franky, who charged his Radical Beam. However, they were interrupted by the arrival of the Numbers. Big Mom attacked Franky after he fired his laser beam at one of the artificial giants, but before she could finish the swing, Jinbe and Nico Robin grabbed and rolled her out of the building.
During Big Mom and Kaido's confrontation against Luffy, Roronoa Zoro, Eustass Kid, Killer, and Traflagar Law on the roof of the Skull Dome, Big Mom wielded Napoleon once again. During the fight, the Worst Generation worked together to separate Big Mom from her homies. Killer knocked Napoleon out of her hand and then chased him off, while Kid and Law knocked Big Mom off the island. However, Napoleon was able to escape with Prometheus after Kaido intervened, and Prometheus caught Big Mom before she plunged into the ocean. Napoleon then returned to Big Mom's head. After Big Mom blasted a hole in the Skull Dome with her new lightning homie, Hera, Big Mom and her homies flew into the castle and searched for Kid.
- Napoleon and Big Mom vs. Sanji Retrieval Team and Kingbaum
- Napoleon, Zeus, Prometheus, and Big Mom vs. Jinbe, Nami, Tony Tony Chopper, and Brook
- Napoleon and Big Mom vs. Kaido
- Napoleon, Big Mom and Kaido vs. Monkey D. Luffy, Roronoa Zoro, Trafalgar D. Water Law, Eustass Kid and Killer
- Napoleon vs. Brook
- Napoleon is named after the Emperor of the French, Napoleon Bonaparte, who frequently wore a bicorne throughout his military campaigns and became heavily associated with the attire.
- Following the food-themed naming of the Big Mom Pirates and the Charlotte Family, Napoleon's name also references several types of edible products.
- "Napoleon" is another name for mille-feuille, a French dessert.
- There also exists a Danish cake called "Napoleonshat" which is shaped like a tricorne and usually has a filling consisting of marzipan.
- Cognac is a type of brandy.
- "Napoléon" is a class of aged cognac that is around 20 years old; the earliest point in the story where Napoleon was seen was 20 years ago.
- "Napoleon" is another name for mille-feuille, a French dessert.
- Napoleon shares the same voice actor as his fellow special homies, Prometheus, and Zeus.