The Netsu Netsu no Mi is a Paramecia-type Devil Fruit that allows the user to emanate heat from their body, making the user a High Heat Human (高熱人間 Kōnetsu Ningen?, Viz: "Bakeman"). It was eaten by Charlotte Oven.
- Netsu means "heat" in Japanese.
- In the Viz manga, it is called the Heat-Heat Fruit.
Strengths and Weaknesses
The user is capable of heating parts of their body to temperatures greater than most people can withstand. This greatly aids them in a confrontation. They can transfer the heat to other objects, most notably the opponents' weapons, making them too hot to wield. This transfer of heat can even happen without physical contact, as demonstrated when Oven seemingly projected heat energy to set a gun ablaze.
However, the power is ineffective against opponents who possess a resistance to heat. Other than that, the user is also affected by the standard Devil Fruit weaknesses.
Oven uses his fruit in combat, transferring heat to other people's weapons in order to make them too hot to hold or transferring heat to his own clothing and weapons to heat them up and even set them alight. He can also grab onto an opponent and directly burn them. To quickly damage enemies, Oven often attempts to transfer heat to them via eye contact and set them ablaze at will.
Because this fruit's effects can affect even water, Oven tends to be a major obstacle for those attempting to escape by sea travel, as he can just boil the water up to a point where it starts damaging ships.
- Nekkai Jigoku (
熱海温泉Nekkai Jigoku?, meaning "Hot Sea Hell"): Oven heats up his hands and submerges them in the ocean, causing the water in an enormous radius around him to boil. The water will grow hot enough to cause significant damage to any aquatic creatures or ships within it, making it particularly powerful when fighting against fish-men. It was first used to stop the Nostra Castello from escaping. This is called Tropical Torment in the Viz Manga. The kanji of this attack can be read as Atami Onsen (Atami is a city in Japan known for its hot springs, or onsen).
- Nekkai Gyorai (
熱海万来Nekkai Gyorai?, meaning "Hot Sea Torpedo"): A variation of Nekkai Jigoku. Oven heats up his hands and submerges them in the ocean, but unlike Nekkai Jigoku, he does not make the whole ocean boil, only portions of it, creating several underwater heat beams that travel like torpedos towards his opponent. It was first used against Wadatsumi when he tried to escape from the Big Mom Pirates with the Thousand Sunny. This is called Tropical Torpedoes in the Viz Manga. The kanji of this attack can be read as Atami Banrai, which literally means "Atami's many guests".
- Nekkai Gyorai (
- Heat Denasshi (
熱風拳Hīto Denasshi?, meaning "Hot Wind Fist"): Oven heats up his forearm and throws a punch of tremendous power. He first used this against Pekoms. Hitodenashi (人で無し?) literally means "you brute", meaning the attack name can also be read as a statement against Pekoms. This is called Heat Beating in the Viz Manga.
- The Netsu Netsu no Mi's powers to exude high amounts of bodily temperature is very similar to those of three non-canon Devil Fruits, but with subtle differences:
- The Kachi Kachi no Mi eaten by Bear King. However, the Kachi Kachi has not shown the extreme heat that the Netsu Netsu can do, but it can also harden up the user's body parts.
- The Atsu Atsu no Mi eaten by Don Accino. The difference is that the Netsu Netsu has yet to show the ability to regulate one's temperature by degrees, nor produce visible energy that can be thrown as projectiles. Also, the Atsu Atsu hasn't shown the ability to transfer heat into other objects like swords or even the sea. However, the Atsu Atsu has been shown to be able to manipulate external heat such as that of lava and hot air for tidal waves and whirlwinds, which the Netsu Netsu has not demonstrated.
- The Bana Bana no Mi eaten by Bounty. However, the Bana Bana requires the user to have extreme feelings of jealousy, whereas the the Netsu Netsu no Mi doesn't require any emotion to activate.
- This is one of the few Devil Fruits shown to be able to interact with seawater without the user suffering from the nullification of his Devil Fruit power.