Nezumi is a slim dark-haired man with—appropriately enough for his name—a strongly mouse-like appearance. His eyes are constantly narrowed, while his facial hair consists of a thin goatee and six long, wire-like whiskers on his upper lip. His Marine uniform is heavily customized, with the standard cap converted into a mouse-eared cowl, connected to a buttoned-up greatcoat that reaches to his feet, accessorized with a belt and blue epaulets.
His manners matches that of his appearance, in that he is rodent-like in every sense of the phrase. He is arrogant, cowardly, and decidedly corrupt. He is also greedy, as he was willing to look the other way when Arlong took over Cocoyasi Village in exchange for money, and later Arlong bribed him with Nami's treasure. He uses his military rank to intimidate his enemies and expects civilians to fully cooperate with him, regardless of his actions. When overpowered, he would cower and comply in fear, only to spout threats and revenge when he reaches a good distance.
Abilities and Powers
As a Marine Captain and head of the 16th Branch, Nezumi has authority over the base and lower-ranking subordinates. However, he relies mainly on his rank and soldiers to intimidate his enemies and civilians. He has little to no physical combat capabilities himself, as he and his entire unit were easily beaten up by Roronoa Zoro, who was critically wounded and bleeding at that time, as well as by Nami. Nezumi was practically wailing for mercy when he was stared down at by the Cocoyasi Villagers and Straw Hat Pirates, only to make death threats when he swam away to a fair distance, showing little to no mental fortitude.
Nezumi wielded a flintlock, which he used to shoot Nojiko in the shoulder.
East Blue Saga
Arlong Park Arc
Nezumi accepted bribes from Arlong to keep the Marines from investigating the crimes of the Arlong Pirates. Acting on a tip from Arlong, he discovered the treasure that Nami had been hoarding in order to buy back Cocoyasi Village, and confiscated it.
Once Arlong was defeated, Nezumi attempted to take all the glory from the Straw Hat Pirates, as well as the money from Arlong's stores. Roronoa Zoro quickly defeated Nezumi and his men. Nami hit him with her staff for destroying the orange grove and shooting Nojiko and then demanded that he return the stolen money, rebuild Gosa Village, and clean up all the mess left over from Arlong's reign. Humiliated and injured, he quickly retreated to a fair distance before swearing revenge against Monkey D. Luffy.
Nezumi returned to his base and reported to his superiors about the incident, prompting the Marines to assign Luffy with his first bounty. However, Nezumi was not pleased with the wanted poster picture, as he thought it did not make Luffy look dangerous.
Translation and Dub Issues
- One Piece: Become the Pirate King!
- Aim! The King of Belly
- One Piece: Grand Battle! Rush!
- One Piece: Dragon Dream!
- His Marine identification code is 00733.
- He is the only person known to have personally requested that someone be assigned a bounty.
- Nezumi's favorite food is cheese, which fits his animal theme.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 8 Chapter 69 (p. 12-16) and Episode 31, Nezumi makes his debut.
- Vivre Card - One Piece Visual Dictionary (Card #0093), Nezumi's information is revealed.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 8 Chapter 69 (p. 15) and Episode 31, Hatchan mocks Nezumi's look due to his mouse face.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 11 Chapter 94 (p. 8-13) and Episode 43, Nezumi attempts to take what he can out of Arlong's defeat.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 9 Chapter 80 (p. 6) and Episode 36.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 9 Chapter 80 (p. 6-15) and Episodes 36–37.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 11 Chapter 94 (p. 8-13, 16-17) and Episode 43.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 11 Chapter 94 (p. 16-17) and Episode 43, Nezumi reports to Marine HQ.