The Noro Noro no Mi is a Paramecia-type Devil Fruit that allows the user to emit "Noroma Photons", special particles that significantly slow down any object they touch for thirty seconds, making the user a Noroma Human (ノロマ人間 Noroma Ningen?, Viz: "Slowpoke Human"). It was eaten by Foxy the Silver Fox.
- Noronoro means "slowly" or "sluggishly" in Japanese.
- Noroma means "dunce", "blockhead", or "gullible" in Japanese.
- In the Viz Manga and Funimation dub, it is called the Slow-Slow Fruit.
Strengths and Weaknesses
The major strength of the fruit, as demonstrated by Foxy, is that it gives its user the ability to generate and emit beams of Noroma Photons (ノロマ光子 Noroma Kōshi?, Viz: "Slowpoke Photons"; Funimation: "Slowmo Photons") which they can use to slow down anything for thirty seconds. In that amount of time, the user can do anything to the slowed down object. According to Foxy, these special particles are not fully understood by science yet. When a person is hit by these beams and receives any number of strikes while in the slowed down state, the kinetic force of the strikes to them is released all at once when they return to their normal speed, making the attacks more damaging.
Noro Noro beams, being beams of light, can be reflected by mirrors. This can allow the user to create interesting attacks that can catch their opponent off guard.
The major weakness of the fruit's powers is that the user is not immune to the effects of his/her own photons and will be slowed down if exposed to them. In the anime, the beams also can only slow down something roughly the size of the beam itself, such as it slowing down only a small fraction of a tidal wave and leaving Foxy vulnerable to the remaining waves. Other than that, the user is also affected by the standard Devil Fruit weaknesses.
Though not completely sure how the photons in the beams really work, Foxy uses the fruit's bestowed powers to aid him in cheating in the Davy Back Fight. These range from him helping his pirate crew in winning matches by slowing down their opponents, to slowing down his opponents to give him an edge over them. Combined with his other tricks, Foxy's mastery over his Devil Fruit powers ensures that he will always have an advantage in any Davy Back Fight that he participates in.
While the Devil Fruit powers aid Foxy in many ways, they unfortunately can be used against him if his opponent can make the beams be directed at him. This can be done either by reflecting the beams or forcibly making Foxy fire the beams at himself.
- Noro Noro Beam (ノロノロビーム Noro Noro Bīmu?, literally meaning "Slow Slow Beam"): Foxy's main attack wherein he shoots a beam of Noroma Photons at his target, slowing it down for 30 seconds. Depending on what was slowed down, Foxy can do all sorts of things while they are slowed down. These include using fired cannonballs as floating platforms and attacking opponents viciously. This was first seen being used on Nami, Usopp, Robin, and the Taru Tiger in the Donut Race. In the Viz Manga and Funimation adaptations, this attack is called Slow-Slow Beam.
- Kyubi Rush (九尾ラッシュ Kyūbi Rasshu?, literally meaning "Nine-Tails Rush"): After slowing his opponent down with his Noro Noro Beam, Foxy delivers a flurry of punches to his opponent at a rapid speed. The actual punches are not particularly strong, but the force of all the punches administered by Foxy is released all at once when the slowing effect ends. A side-effect during this attack is that Foxy often loops his voice whilst punching, often yelling out "Rush!" repeatedly. This was first seen being used against Luffy. The name of this technique is derived by the Japanese mythological Nine-Tailed fox called Kyubi, in nod to Foxy's fox motif. This is called Nine-Tails Rush in the Viz Manga and Nine-Tailed Rush in the Funimation dub.
- Megaton Kyubi Rush (メガトン九尾ラッシュ Megaton Kyūbi Rasshu?, literally meaning "Megaton Nine-Tails Rush"): After slowing his opponent, Foxy delivers a series of punches as with Kyubi Rush, only harder, faster, and with more punches. This was first seen being used against Luffy. In the Viz Manga and Funimation dub, this is called Megaton Nine-Tails Rush.
- Noro Noro Foxy Face Bombs (ノロノロフォクシー
顔爆弾Noro Noro Fokushī Feisu Bomu?, literally meaning "Slow Slow Foxy Face Bombs"): Foxy uses a cannon to fire several bombs shaped like his face towards an opponent and slows them all down with his Noro Noro Beam. While they are slowed down, Foxy can sneak alongside the bombs as they are moving. Hiding amongst the bombs, Foxy can get closer to an opponent and punch them while they are distracted by the sight of the moving bombs. The bombs then all explode at once in a massive blast after they regain normal speed. This was first seen being used against Luffy. In the Viz Manga, this is called Slow-Slow Foxy Face Bomb and in the Funimation dub, it is called Slow-Slow Foxy Face Bomb Cannon.
- Mirror Racket (
鏡ラケット Mirā Raketto?): Foxy uses a hand-mirror to reflect his Noro Noro Beam towards his opponent. The name of this technique is derived from how Foxy uses the hand-mirror as a tennis racket.
- Noro Marble Oni Coach (ノロマボール鬼コーチ Noro Mabōru Oni Kōchi?, literally meaning "Slow Marble Devil Coach"): Foxy traps his opponent in a chamber with the Gorilla Puncher 13 coming towards them. At the same time, he reflects his Noro Noro Beams all over the chamber using its mirrored back wall and Mirror Racket. Even if his opponent manages to dodge all of the beams and punches, unless they think quickly, they will be eventually crushed against the back wall by the Gorilla Puncher. This was first seen being used against Luffy. In the Viz Manga and Funimation dub, this is called Slowpoke Ball Demon Coach.
- Noro Noro Beam Sword (ノロノロビームソード Noro Noro Bīmu Sōdo?, literally meaning "Slow Slow Beam Sword"): Using a wooden sword hilt as a base, Foxy forms an extendable whip like sword made of his Noroma Photons. The sword resembles a lightsaber in appearance. This weapon can create the same effect on the opponent as a Noro Noro Beam. However instead of merely slowing down an opponent whole, it can slow down specific parts of an opponent's body. By swiping the beam across an opponent's arms and legs, the beam can bind the opponent's limbs in shackles made from the Noroma Photons. This was first seen being used against Luffy. This is called Slow-Slow Beam Sword in the Viz Manga.
- Foxy Fighter (フォクシー
飛行狐Fokkushī Faitā?, literally meaning "Foxy Flying Fox"): Foxy fires a cannonball and slows it down with Noro Noro Beam. While in its slow downed state, Foxy mounts a small wooden glider with a fox head onto the cannonball and gets on top of it. With the speed of the cannonball after its slow downed state aiding in velocity, Foxy delivers a powerful punch onto an opponent. After delivering the punch, Foxy can jump off the glider and let it crash into the opponent, blasting them with the cannonball. This was first seen being used against Luffy.
- Double Noro Noro Beam (ダブルノロノロビーム Daburu Noro Noro Bīmu?, literally meaning "Double Slow Slow Beam"): Foxy fires two Noro Noro Beams simultaneously with both hands in different directions. He first used this on Luffy and Zoro in the fourth one-hour special, but Luffy dodged one and Zoro deflected the other with his sword and it hit Buggy instead. In the Funimation subs, this is called Double Slow-Slow Beam.
- Senju Kannon Noro Noro Beam (千手観音ノロノロビーム Senju Kan'non Noro Noro Bīmu?, literally meaning "Thousand-Armed Kannon Slow Slow Beam): After Foxy hops into a large, hollow bust of his own head covered in mirrors, called the High Speed Rotation Mirror Ball Amplification (高速回転ミラーボール増幅 Kōsoku Kaiten Mirābōru Zōfuku?). When it begins spinning at a high velocity, he sticks his hand out from below and aims his Noro Noro Beam at a small mirror, which reflects the beam at the mirror ball's surface. This causes the beam to bounce off the spinning mirror in all directions and slowing everything around Foxy for 30 seconds. This was first seen used against the majority of the Straw Hat Pirates on Spa Island. Senju Kannon is a Buddhist deity who is depicted as having a thousand arms. In the Funimation dub, this is simply referred to as a new Noro Noro Beam.
- Mashi Mashi (増し増し Mashi Mashi?, literally meaning "More More"): Foxy fires multiple Noro Noro Beams at the same object, causing it to slow down to the point that it appears to have completely stopped for 30 seconds. This was first used to stop some Marine battleships' cannon fire in Adventure of Nebulandia.
- The way Foxy holds his hands to emit the Noro Noro Beams resembles the way Japanese would hold their hands up to represent a fox.
- A fan asked what would happen if the incredibly slow moving Baroque Works agent, Mr. 4 was hit by one of Foxy's Noro Noro Beams. Oda demonstrated what would happen by pretending to be Mr. 4 saying, "Oh crap!!" after being hit by the beams, revealing that it would have the same effect on him, albeit making him much slower than he already is. The incredibly long message that Oda gave for demonstration was cut short (reading as o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o.....).
- Because of the way Boa Hancock's Mero Mero Mellow technique resembles the Noro Noro Beam of Foxy, it was mistaken for this fruit's power by Luffy.
- In the Funimation dub, the Straw Hats call the Slow-Slow Beam the Do-Do Beam as an insult.
- Slow motion – Wikipedia article on the concept this fruit's power revolves around.
- Kinetic energy – Wikipedia article about kinetic energy