Yainu has a square-shaped face with small, round glasses with his black hair combed back neatly. He wears a red shirt with his crew's jolly roger on the front, with regular pants and shoes.
He was given the captain's jacket to wear, which was black with red interior and the crew's symbol on the shoulder pads when he was handed over to the Marines. Overall, Yainu has a passing resemblance to his captain, Kuro, to the point where the Marines were not able to tell the difference.
Little was known about Yainu’s personality, but, like most members of the Black Cat Pirates, he most likely didn’t care much for the well-being of innocent citizens. He was shown to be feeble-minded enough to fall victim to Jango’s hypnotism.
Abilities and Powers
He was seen with a saber.
Three years prior to the start of the series, when Kuro had decided to give up on his life as a pirate due to the constant assaults by the Marines, Jango saw Yainu to be a perfect sacrificial lamb for Kuro's plan. Because Yainu bore a passing resemblance to his captain, he was hypnotized by Jango into believing he was Kuro, and was captured by Morgan, the only member of a Marine crew to survive Kuro's wrath.
Afterwards, Yainu was presumably taken into Marine custody and executed, leaving Kuro free to assume a new identity (and, inadvertently, enhancing Morgan's reputation and career).
Anime and Manga Differences
In the anime, Nugire is also shown wielding a sword during the Black Cat Pirates' attack on Morgan's unit, suggesting he has at least some level of combat ability.
Translation and Dub Issues
His name is an anagram of the Japanese for "No false charges" (濡れ衣いや Nureginu iya?, lit. "No wet clothes")—a grim joke referencing his fate. Viz Media's official One Piece translator Stephen Paul informally translated this as "Snott Mee", which was later adopted by Shueisha's official website for the 7th popularity poll.
- See One Piece World Top 100's East Blue section.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 5 Chapter 37 and Episode 15, Nugire Yainu makes his debut, being hypnotized by Jango into assuming Kuro's identity.
- One Piece Anime — Episode 10, Nugire debuts slightly earlier in the anime, during Jango's reminiscence of how the Marines had executed "Kuro" by firing squad.
- One Piece Blue: Grand Data File, Nugire Yainu's name and occupation revealed.
- Vivre Card - One Piece Visual Dictionary (EX Characters: East Blue Saga Vol. 3 #0069).
- SBS One Piece Manga — Vol. 6 (p. 124), Oda confirms that Morgan was the Marine who unwittingly helped Kuro fake his death.
- One Piece Anime — Episode 15.