The Numbers are a group within the Beasts Pirates made up of artificially produced ancient giants. Originally created on Punk Hazard, they were deemed to be unsuccessful and were eventually bought by Kaido. They currently reside on Onigashima and serve as combatants for the crew.
According to Big Mom, the Numbers are failed recreations of the ancient giants, a subgroup of the giant race whose members are notably far taller than typical giants and possess a pair of horns on their heads. Why exactly they are considered failures is uncertain. The Numbers have been noted to be just as large as the ancient giant Oars, who at 67 meters stood three times taller than a typical normal giant; they also all possess horns.
However, unlike natural ancient giants seen so far, the Numbers possess varying degrees of animal-like physical traits. While Hatcha looks very much like just a tall human, other members possess traits such as a long neck and a snout-like nose that make them look more like animals than humans. All of the Numbers seen so far have very sharp teeth and fangs except Hatcha, whose teeth are rounded.
There are ten members, with five of them so far being named. Each member so far has been themed around a specific number, with the first part of their name containing the kanji for that number, and their laughs starting with it as well.
|5||Goki||Gokiki Gokiki (ゴキキゴキキ?)|
|9||Unknown||Kunyunyu Kunyu (くにゅにゅくにゅ?)|
The Numbers shown so far have been rather monstrous creatures with a very low level of intelligence, which more resembles that of a child or even animal than an adult. Notably, they have yet to be shown speaking words; the only sounds they have been shown making are their unique laughs which play off their names. They appear to lack any form of coordination, as they merely laughed individually during Queen's Golden Kagura song without any sort of united harmony.
The Numbers are infamous for their alcohol consumption, and many of the members seen during the Fire Festival were shown to be extremely drunk. Overall, the Numbers do appear to be loyal to Kaido and make the effort to confront his enemies; however, the combination of their brutish and drunken tendencies makes them extremely prone toward inflicting collateral damage. They will charge toward and attack enemies wildly, even in crowded areas where they are almost certain to strike allies with their massive attack radius. It has been indicated that it is extremely difficult for the other Beasts Pirates to get the Numbers under control, with only Scratchmen Apoo so far showing some form of taming ability by using his Devil Fruit to play music. The Numbers are also shown to be attracted to machinery like vehicles and robots much as if they were toys, as shown when Jaki held onto the Brachio Tank V and Hatcha chased after the General Franky.
Thanks to their enormous size, the Numbers possess immense physical power and can overwhelm average-sized people with great ease; Jaki was shown lifting the Brachio Tank V one-handed with no effort. They have been stated to have laid waste to countless cities, and when all together, they pose a great threat to even experienced fighters who can take on giants. All of the Numbers have so far been seen wielding massive spiked clubs which themselves dwarf normal-sized people; some of the clubs are very similar in appearance to Kaido's kanabo, while others more resemble morning stars. Given these clubs' tremendous size and the Numbers' strength, a single swing is capable of wreaking substantial damage and taking out multiple victims at once. Unlike Caesar's experiment, they seem to last longer since they were around for at least twenty years.
However, despite their size and their power, they apparently lack high durability and resistance, as four members were easily defeated after being hit by only one attack from their enemies, although these enemies consisted of Franky, Monkey D. Luffy, X Drake, and Yamato. As indicated by Scratchmen Apoo, their combat ability appears to be diminished while they are drunk.
Over 20 years ago, the Numbers were subjects in an experiment on Punk Hazard to recreate the ancient giant race. The experiment was considered a failure, but Kaido then bought the Numbers. They came to reside on Onigashima and join Kaido's crew the Beasts Pirates.
20 years ago immediately after Kozuki Oden's execution, Jaki chased the fleeing Nine Red Scabbards on their way back to Oden Castle. As Inuarashi and Nekomamushi began blaming each other for Oden's fate, he took advantage of their distraction and caught them both in its bare hands, forcing Denjiro and Ashura to turn back in order to aid them and slow down the pursuing Beasts Pirates.
Four Emperors Saga
Wano Country Arc
The Numbers were later present during the Beasts Pirates party in Onigashima. When the Beasts Pirates spotted enemies Monkey D. Luffy and Roronoa Zoro among their number, they began to attack them; Hatcha proceeded to get involved in the action despite his crewmates trying to stop him. Later, the Nine Red Scabbards unleashed an ambush against Kaido, causing an all-out war to break out between the Beasts Pirates and the Ninja-Pirate-Mink-Samurai Alliance. Nangi went with a platoon of Beasts Pirates to aid Kaido against his attackers, while the trio of Jaki, Goki, and Juki rampaged inside the Skull Dome.
- The Numbers follow the Beasts Pirates' card-based naming scheme as a deck of cards has ten number cards for each suit.
- Like Kaido, the Numbers have numerous similarities to oni, which are well-known ogre-like yokai found in Japanese folklore. These similarities include gigantic size, horns on their heads, wielding kanabo clubs, prominent fangs, and solely wearing loincloth-like apparel. All the known Numbers's names (with the exception of Hatcha) contain the kanji for oni.
- They also may have been inspired by the "Wild Things", from the 1963 children's book Where The Wild Things Are by American writer and illustrator Maurice Sendak. Indeed, both the numbers and the Wild Things are monstrous creatures with longs horns and claws, who like to party and uproar. In the original picture book, the Wild Things also are ten in number. Especially, Juki looks like Goat Boy, while Nangi and Jaki are similar to Moische and another unnamed Wild Thing.
- The Numbers have received unique introduction boxes which are dark, rounded, and have horns, thus mimicking their head shapes. Hatcha's introduction box had the number 8 in the background, but Nangi's box only had a plain black background.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 95 Chapter 954 (p. 13-15) and Episode 955, The Numbers make their debut.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 98 Chapter 989 (p. 6-7), Big Mom reveals the origin of the Numbers.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 98 Chapter 991.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 97 Chapter 978 (p. 14), Some Numbers participate in the Golden Kagura.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 98 Chapter 988 (p. 5).
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 97 Chapter 981.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 98 Chapter 990.
- One Piece Manga — Chapter 996 (p. 8-9).
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 96 Chapter 973 (p. 5), A Number is shown among the members of the Beasts Pirates as they chase the Nine Red Scabbards.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 97 Chapter 977 (p. 16-17), A Number participate in the party in Onigashima.