The On Air Pirates are an infamous and notable rookie pirate crew discovered on the Sabaody Archipelago around the time the Straw Hat Pirates arrived two years ago. As such, they are part of the Worst Generation, with their captain being Scratchmen Apoo.
The crew's jolly roger is a cartoon-like depiction of a traditional skull with the upper teeth being replaced by a long set of piano keys (reminiscent of Apoo's own upper teeth) forming a wave, as well as Apoo's trademark braided hair tail. Instead of the usual crossbones in the background there is what seems to be a lightning bolt which might here again be a reference to Apoo's hairstyle (his roots having a lightning pattern).
The captain of the On Air Pirates is Scratchmen Apoo, one of the Worst Generation. Most, if not all, crew members of the On Air Pirates look or dress with a oriental theme, with all of them wearing the same style of oriental gown as Apoo, albeit in different colors. One member wears an oriental styled cap and a yellow oriental garb. He has brown hair and also bears a Fu Manchu mustache. His first and only appearance was in Chapter 499, informing Apoo who Zoro was. Another member wears an open black oriental garb and a green sash across his waist. He has black hair in the front and on top of his head, but also has ponytail-like messy brown hair. He first appeared in Chapter 504 and makes subsequent appearances in Chapters 507, 565, 581, and 595. A third crew member has an a brown afro and wears a blue shirt. He first appeared in Chapter 504 and makes subsequent appearances in Chapters 565, 581, 595, and 793. A fourth crew member wears a red oriental garb with the design of chimes on the right side. He has a thin upwards facing crescent mustache and wears his hair in a queue. He first appeared in Chapter 504 and makes subsequent appearances in Chapters 565, 581, 581, 793, and 795. A fifth crew member is a woman with yellow hair that is tied in a bun in the back. She first appeared in Chapter 504 and makes a subsequent appearance in Chapter 581.
|Kid Pirates ‡||Hawkins Pirates *|
It can be presumed that they are strong because of their captain's high bounty and the fact that they made it all the way to Sabaody Archipelago and the New World. Another example of their strength is that they were able to escape Kizaru's raid despite their captain being beaten by Kizaru's attack. They had also formed an alliance with the Hawkins and Kid Pirates. However, it broke down after the encounter with Kaido, and the crew, along with the Hawkins Pirates, allied with the Beasts Pirates.
The crew's ship is called the Stay Tune. Their ship takes on a music theme, with a massive horn for a figurehead and two masts, the front of which has two red sails. The bottom of which brandishes the crew's jolly roger, and the front mast also has two crow's nests designed to look like drums and the jolly roger flag at the top. The back mast has a single red sail and another jolly roger flag on it. The ship has a cabin shaped like a radio tower, speakers on the front of the ship, and a drum-like design on the side with "ON AIR" written on it.
The crew made their start on the Grand Line, navigating the treacherous sea.
Summit War Saga
Sabaody Archipelago Arc
They made it to Saboady Archipelego, where they were met by other strong crews. Their captain, Scratchmen Apoo witnessed the many different powers of three Supernovas including X Drake's ancient Zoan fruit, Urouge's ability to grow larger, and Basil Hawkins' straw ability. Apoo attempted to take on Admiral Kizaru himself, but was defeated.
Apoo showed up fine later, along with the crew to watch the war at Marineford on a screen at Sabaody.
During the Timeskip
Punk Hazard Arc
After the reading the news about Doflamingo's defeat, Kid and Killer dined with Hawkins and Apoo. They learned that Luffy and Law's target is Kaido and were glad as their intended Yonko target is Shanks. Some time later, they were alerted by what seemed to be an earthquake. They quickly investigated the source of the commotion, which was a large crater on the ground in the shape of a human. The alliance then came face-to-face with the Yonko, Kaido.
- The term "on air" is normally used for when a radio studio's microphone is activated and its listeners can hear the DJ speaking on the broadcast from the radio station. Coincidentally, Scratchmen Apoo himself resembles a DJ both in appearance and fighting stance.
- The On Air Pirates arrived on an island in the New World where they ended up running "on the air" to escape some giant boars.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 51 Chapter 498 and Episode 392, The On Air Pirates make their debut.
- ↑ Scratchmen Apoo - 350,000,000
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 68 Chapter 677 and Episode 603, the post-timeskip bounties for Kid, Killer, Apoo and Hawkins are revealed.
- ↑ Scratchmen Apoo - 198,000,000
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 51 Chapter 498 (p. 18) and Episode 392, The 9 big time rookies revealed.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 51 Chapter 498 (p. 15) and Episode 392.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 61 Chapter 595 (p. 4) and Episode 513.
- ↑ One Piece Manga — Vol. 83 Chapter 837 (p. 8-9).
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 68 Chapter 677 and Episode 603.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 79 Chapter 793 and Episode 736.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 79 Chapter 795 and Episode 739.
- ↑ One Piece Manga — Vol. 82 Chapter 821.