One Piece is the name the world gave to all the treasure gained by the Pirate King Gol D. Roger. At least a portion of it is a treasure that once belonged to Joy Boy during the Void Century. The treasure is said to be of unimaginable value, and is currently located on the final island of the Grand Line, Laugh Tale.
The Great TreasureEdit
Only the members of the Roger Pirates that journeyed to Laugh Tale know what exactly the great treasure consists of, including what exactly Joy Boy's treasure is. It is unknown if Roger added or removed anything to or from Joy Boy's treasure, but the world at large would begin to refer to everything the Pirate King had gained as the "One Piece". Upon arriving at Laugh Tale and seeing Joy Boy's treasure, the Roger Pirates simply began to laugh. Roger described it as a "tale full of laughs", which gave him the idea to name the final island "Laugh Tale".
Before Roger was executed, he announced to the world that this great treasure could be claimed by anyone who could reach it, thereby starting the Great Age of Pirates.
The closest the Straw Hat Pirates have ever come to finding out the nature of One Piece was during the Sabaody Archipelago Arc, when Usopp tried to ask Silvers Rayleigh about it. However, Luffy stopped him on the grounds that learning about it from someone else would defeat the purpose of their adventures and that becoming the Pirate King would have little merit if he already knew anything about One Piece.
After decades of speculations and doubts, the treasure's existence was confirmed by Whitebeard with his last breath. He mentioned that "a grand battle will engulf the entire world" and "the world will be shaken to its core" when One Piece is found.
Meaning of the NameEdit
The reading of the treasure's Japanese name, ひとつなぎの大秘宝 (Hitotsunagi no Dai-hihō?), is ワンピース (Wan Pīsu?), which simply means "One Piece". However, the actual translation of the name is unclear due to missing Kanji.
- Eiichiro Oda himself confirmed in an interview with Momoko Sakura that the One Piece is not something like "the journey itself was the real treasure" and that it is, in fact, a physical reward.
- Whitebeard stated in his final words that the world will be "shaken to its core" when the One Piece is found. Donquixote Doflamingo made a similar statement about the national treasure of Mary Geoise.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 One Piece Manga — Chapter 968 (p. 3), Oden explains how the name "One Piece" came to be.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 One Piece Manga — Chapter 967 (p. 17), The Roger Pirates arrive at Laugh Tale and find the treasure.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 52 Chapter 507 (p. 7-8) and Episode 400, Usopp asks Rayleigh about the One Piece's location.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 59 Chapter 576 (p. 13-14) and Episode 485, Newgate confirms that One Piece exists.
- ↑ Oda confirms that the One Piece is a reward.