The game features gameplay similar to its predecessors, though with some brand new changes introduced.
Characters are able to use up to 4 different special attacks, all of which can be leveled up. Also, air combat is more emphasized, with characters now having improved abilities to juggle enemies while staying airborne. Characters can also transform mid-battle, like in the first Pirate Warriors, such as Luffy using Gear Fourth. The style of the maps is similar to the ones seen in the first Pirate Warriors.
Pirate Warriors 4 also introduces the new concept of "giant characters" (like Big Mom) who are significantly larger than other characters and deal more damage. Some of those, like Big Mom and Kaido, are playable.
All playable characters are divided into four general subtypes that summarily describe their method of fighting:
- Power: Can deal massive collateral damage through most of their finishing moves.
- Speed: Can move around fast and have strong combo ability.
- Technique: Have abilities with unique gameplay effects, sometimes requiring prior setup for maximum effectiveness.
- Sky: Focused on aerial combat.
Certain characters who have transformations or an alternate playable variation of them may exhibit a different subtype due to modified movesets. For example, Pre-Timeskip Sanji is a Speed-type character due to the lack of Sky Walk, which allows Post-Timeskip Sanji to act as a Sky-type fighter.
Many characters have a number of costumes to choose from. The remaining characters with bolded groups have a different character image and portrait depending on whether they are from pre- or post-timeskip, but no moveset changes. Costumes in italics are DLC.
- Baroque Works
- Cipher Pol
- Donquixote Pirates
- Germa 66
- Chess Soldiers
- Daz Bonez
- Monkey D. Garp
- Sentomaru (Pre-Timeskip: Normal; Post-Timeskip: New World)
- Jesus Burgess (Pre-Timeskip: Normal; Post-Timeskip: New World)
- Charlotte Brûlée (as Luffy)
- Charlotte Perospero
- Gol D. Roger
- Lord of the Coast
- Monkey D. Dragon
- Nefertari Vivi
- Gecko Moria
- Bartholomew Kuma
- Silvers Rayleigh
- Caesar Clown
- Kozuki Momonosuke
- Charlotte Pudding
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4 received "generally favorable" and "mixed or average" reviews on Metacritic getting a metascore of 75/100 on PS4, 76/100 on Xbox One, and 69/100 on Nintendo Switch.
- In the Dressrosa Arc, Doflamingo severing Law's arm is omitted in this game.
- Enel, Gecko Moria, Perona, Magellan, Bartholomew Kuma and Caesar Clown who were playable in the previous games have been cut from this game.
- Monkey D. Garp, who was playable in Pirate Warriors 2 and 3, is now just an enemy character.
- Morgan, Alvida, Kuro, Krieg, Arlong, Hatchan, Wapol, Wyper, Hannyabal, Minotaurus, Oars, Hody Jones, Vergo and Monet who were enemy characters in previous games have been cut.
- Pre-Timeskip Nami, Chopper, Robin, Franky and Brook are no longer playable.
- Pandaman can be seen during the loading screen on Dramatic Log.
- In this game, Marshall D. Teach's name is spelled "Teech" and Doflamingo's nickname, Doffy, is spelled "Dofy".
- ↑ ONE PIECE Pirate Warriors 4 - Reveal Trailer
- ↑ DLC Wave 1's release date announced.
- ↑ DLC Wave 2's release date announced.
- ↑ Metascore for One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4 on PS4, Metacritic, Retrieved June 18, 2020
- ↑ Metascore for One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4 on Xbox One, Metacritic, Retrieved June 18, 2020
- ↑ Metascore for One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4 on Nintendo Switch, Metacritic, Retrieved June 18, 2020