One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4 is a One Piece video game released for the Sony PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PC. It is the fourth installment in Pirate Warriors franchise, following One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 in 2015. It was first announced at the 2019 Anime Expo.
The game features gameplay similar to its predecessors, though with some brand new changes introduced.
Movesets are more diverse, with Luffy using more new attacks such as Gigant Thor Axe and Gomu Gomu no Hanabi. Characters can also use up to 4 different special attacks, which can be leveled up. Also, air combat is more emphasized. Characters can now jump and juggle enemies while airborne. Characters will be able to transform mid-battle, like in the first Pirate Warriors, such as Luffy using Gear Fourth. The style of the maps seem to be similar to the ones seen in the first Pirate Warriors, at least in story mode.
Pirate Warriors 4 also introduces the new concept of "giant characters" (like Big Mom) who are significantly larger than other characters and deal more damage. Some giant characters, like Big Mom and Kaido, are playable.
All playable characters are divided into four general subtypes that summarily describe their method of fighting:
- Power: Can deal massive collateral damage through most of their finishing moves.
- Speed: Can move around fast and have strong combo ability.
- Technique: Have abilities with unique gameplay effects, sometimes requiring prior setup for maximum effectiveness.
- Sky: Focused on aerial combat.
Certain characters who have transformations or an alternate playable variation of them may exhibit a different subtype due to modified movesets. For example, Pre-Timeskip Sanji is a Speed-type character due to the lack of Sky Walk, which allows Post-Timeskip Sanji to act as a Sky-type fighter.
Many characters have a number of costumes to choose from. The remaining characters with bolded groups have a different character image and portrait depending on whether they are from pre- or post-timeskip, but no moveset changes. Costumes in italics are DLC.
- Baroque Works
- Cipher Pol
- Donquixote Pirates
- Germa 66
- Chess Soldiers
- Daz Bonez
- Monkey D. Garp
- Sentomaru (Pre-Timeskip: Normal; Post-Timeskip: New World)
- X Drake (Pre-Timeskip: Normal; Post-Timeskip: New World)
- Jesus Burgess (Pre-Timeskip: Normal; Post-Timeskip: New World)
- Charlotte Perospero
- Nefertari Vivi
- Silvers Rayleigh
- Kozuki Momonosuke
- Vinsmoke Judge
- Charlotte Pudding
- Charlotte Brûlée
- In the Dressrosa Arc, Doflamingo severing Law's arm is omitted in this game.
- Enel, Gecko Moria, Perona, Magellan, Bartholomew Kuma and Caesar Clown who were playable in the previous games have been cut from this game.
- Monkey D. Garp, who was playable in Pirate Warriors 2 and 3, is now just an enemy character.
- Morgan, Alvida, Kuro, Krieg, Arlong, Hatchan, Wapol, Wyper, Hannyabal, Minotaurus, Oars, Hody Jones, Vergo and Monet who were enemy characters in previous games have been cut.
- Pre-Timeskip Nami, Chopper, Robin, Franky and Brook are the only characters not playable.
- Pandaman can be seen during the loading screen on Dramatic Log.
- In this game, Marshall D. Teach's name is spelled as "Teech".