- 1 More editors needed
- 2 Viewing Special Pages
- 3 Templates
- 4 Important: Wikipedia Rescue Project
- 5 Are we overreacting about Wikipedia?
- 6 More Admins?
- 7 1,000 Mark reached?
- 8 Other things to add to this site
- 9 Starting Fresh
- 10 Fan-ish?
- 11 Jan 1st
- 12 Main site logo
- 13 Proposing Main page layout
- 14 Updating the Bulletins
- 15 Community Café
- 16 Article Uniformity and Organization
- 17 Another Wikipedia Rescue
- 18 Vandal templates
- 19 Problem
- 20 A little rent
- 21 Testers and other thoughts about all things wikia...
- 22 References
- 23 Attacks
- 24 Yellow Data Book
More editors needed[edit source]
Well, we can't continue like this forever. Anyone any ideas on how to get more peeps here? Its too much to ask for the whole site to be built sourly around the work of half a dozen people. :O
- One idea could be to put up more links in certain one piece wikipedia pages to this wikia. For instance, when the Going Merry page here gets to be at least presentable, you can put up a link in its wikipedia counterpart to here.
- Another would be to make this site more presentable to a One Piece fan using mods explained in this guide to help so that it can look like the sites presented in here.
- One last advice but not necessarily the best, would be advertise this wikia on our blogs and fansites that some of use have.
- These are the only things that I can think up now in order to better this site.Mugiwara Franky 04:25, 4 December 2006 (UTC)
- THe idea about a link on Wikipedia worries me. Too many people will come over, figure out what the heck One Piece is, gather info, and try to turn us into Wikipedia about just One Piece. I will gladly start a REAL thread on Arlong Park about it, and maybe we can get a few people in from there. I do admit though, I am rather happy at what we have already, and we CAN do this with a little more effort. Maybe if we worked more on articles that don't need updating for awhile, like the Going Merry, which probably won't play any more important roles for a LOOONG time if ever again, that means less trying to keep up, and then we can update the other pages too. Cody2526 05:19, 4 December 2006 (UTC)
- Not just Arlong Park. AP may be the main place for fan, but there are other sites too. We have 7 main editors who, so to speak, have between us already set up the rules, making pro hard core wikipedians difficult to presued things their way + by now have good solid skills as editors. The rules are strong enough here now to stop them turning us into another wikiedpia clone. And so long as we work it, we can prevent them taking us over. I'm too anti-wikipedia take over, but we can't full behind our efforts behind wikipedia and we need more editors. One-Winged Hawk 11:19, 4 December 2006 (UTC)
Viewing Special Pages[edit source]
Firstly I'd link to say we need to check them over occasionally as they tell us important information on the site. The link for it is under our search button on the lefhand site template. Its under 'upload' on my computer. Basically, we have several orphaned pages now, meaning they have no links to and fro them.
Several unused categories:
While Project Wikipedia Rescue is under way this week its not too important for pay attention to these pages. However its a useful thing to consider for the future. ;) One-Winged Hawk 07:44, 10 December 2006 (UTC)
We need some general Templates, how about:
- Out of Date article
- Unneeded article
- Delete request
- Move Request
- Under standard
Thats all I can think of for now. The out of date article, I'm considering making that one anyway since a dozen articles are out of date now. I want opinions first before I create it though. One-Winged Hawk 13:55, 2 December 2006 (UTC)
- In my opinion they shouldn't be too big. One-Winged Hawk 13:55, 2 December 2006 (UTC)
Important: Wikipedia Rescue Project[edit source]
Okay I'm fed up with wikipedia. Recently they removed all the pictures from the Devil Fruit page there. So I'm begging for everyone to help me with this: The Wikipedia Rescue Project.
Basically everything on Wikipedia over the course of this weekend I want moved here. We can't do a thing there and that for me was the final straw. I'm transferring everything (and I mean everything) over here on Sunday. By Monday morning, I don't want a thing left on wikipedia that we don't have safe and tucked away here.
Any helpers? One-Winged Hawk 08:24, 8 December 2006 (UTC)
- I'm trying to contact the guy who removed them... But he isn't a One Piece wikipedia editor, just a general editor. This looks like we may loose ALL images on that page. Thats about 30+ images. If I manage to get an answer I will plead they stay and try to defend their presence there. But I'm just one person trying to understand what this guy is going on about. It isn't going to be easy considering he left no helpful words outside the edit summery.
- We have until the 15th to save those images from wikpedia if we want to keep them. This is what I hate about wikpedia... People barge in and remove/change stuff without discussion or telling us they got to go. I'd like time to react first instead of seeing things horribly dismantled this way. One-Winged Hawk 08:41, 8 December 2006 (UTC)
- The Devil Fruit images and one I added are now here. What else needs to move here? Most of the One Piece pages and content in wikipedia seems to be found here already in one form or another I believe. With the exception of the game material and episode pages that are currently being made, thats all I can think of.Mugiwara Franky 14:30, 8 December 2006 (UTC)
- You've done it already? Wow your amazing!!!
- Tell you what, leave the rest to me and I'll locate every picture on Wikipedia and transfer them here on Sunday. You've done enough already, I was wasn't expecting that to happen at all. ;) One-Winged Hawk 18:51, 8 December 2006 (UTC)
Phew. The main crisis on Wikipedia is over. A couple of the guys there saved them. But seriously. I'm stull going ahead with the move despite this everyone. Basically, this is one too many times on wikipedia for me. The guy who removed them claimed they were being used for decoration when, if he had READ the discussion page, they were not. As I said the guys have found a way around it! :D
This is why I don't like how some wikipedians on wikipedia just like to step in and interfere without discussing things. One-Winged Hawk 19:32, 8 December 2006 (UTC)
- Thank you. And a lot of them forget one of Wikipedia's most important policies: DON'T BE A DICK! (Justyn 07:33, 10 December 2006 (UTC))
Are we overreacting about Wikipedia?[edit source]
If you read here http://apforums.net/showthread.php?p=410677#post410677 you'll find Sayianjedi having a good points. I find it irony most people here complain about Wikipedia changing things without discussion but when I first came here everyone jumps on me and bites my head off despited I had a bad time in Oct. Yet have any of you guys ever discuss with the editors in Wikipedia about things or you just don't hear their reason?
We want people to listen to us but we listen to them because were full of ourselves and I can't let OP Wikia be full of themselves and we are just acting like Wikipedia; Changing things without discussing, when I first got here I just done some editing until someone comes and reverts my work and yells at me for not discussing but why did they not discuss? OP Wikipedia people yells at each other and has an lovely flame war and edit war so someone wants to come here and be free of it and had the same problems?
I think were being close-minded here guys, we need to welcome Wikipedians and other editors alike, we need to set a fair rules. If we close the door at Wikipedians then were no better then Wikipedians, were just Wikipedians turning our backs for a selfish reason.
Cody: Please don't personalize this site, let the Wikipedians come in, do not attack Wikipedia; we don't need to go to war with them to become better, everyone has mistakes and no this is not "YOU LISTEN TO ME OR I'm GONNA POUND YA!!" this is just a advice to keep this site open for people to edit, we'll just be like Wikipedia if we close this site to everyone. :)
Angel: Sayinjedi is right, were making wrong judgment towards Wikipedia, we call them snobs but when I first arrive here everyone snubs me around, were snobs also
Everyone in general, how can we complain about grammatical errors in Wikipedia but I found many errors in many articles, how can we say "we're far better then Wikipedia!" But many articles are ripped from Wikipedia and none of them are written from a scratch, many of them are in poor quality. We are only fooling ourselves guys.
- Jedi-san has good point because he know how to present his facts. My argument would be just as good if presented properly. We aren't trying to be snobs, no one here ever came across the same way as a wikipedian does. Sometimes people don't understand my attitude, I never have said anything to give the feeling of the "I'm going to pound you then" attitude, so I don't know where it came from. Also, if you want people to really listen to you, I recommend you register. I speak for myself alone saying this, so thios is my opinion but I like to have a name to go by, not a long string of numbers. As for the articles, wikipedia is years older than us, they have a ton of people that scan pages for spelling errors. There are few errors about the storyline, any mistakes are probably spelling and grammar, which looking at your post and mine from forums, you can see everyone can make mistakes. Not everyone hates wikipedians but I certainly dislike them, no matter what happens it never works out with them and they do the one thing everyone I know does to me. They go crying to someone else and build up people on their side, and basically just present an argument and have everyone say they agree, and they win. Wikipedia is a popularity contest where you vote for people's ideas, and people sue rules to their advantage to prov either points, no to keep everything in order. We agreed a few months ago, early on, we won't be following the same rules as WIkipedia, instead we'll be making our own rules as we need them, and we have everything set up. Stop putting us under fire, help use with our wiki by signing up and fixing errors you find, instead of saying "oh blah blah not better than blah blah blah wikipedians blah!!! So many errors blah blah blah!" because all it does is stop us from building up. If you want to complain go find another wiki because we don't have time to listen to trolls. Cody2526 03:55, 12 December 2006 (UTC)
- I have to agree with Cody2526, its still early days in the project. Come Jan 1st I'm aiming to have everything on wikipedia set up so from that date onwards its nothing but site improvements and data adjustments. If you diss us now, before we've reach the goal I'm trying to push everyone to reaching the last couple of days, it won't help at all. We have about 8 regular, willing editors out of thousands of One Piece fans out there... It ain't easy to compete with Wikipedia
- Now I don't totally hate wikipedia but I've spent the last 6 months babysitting their One Piece pages just because there are idiots out there on wikipedia. I've dedicated a lot of time removing speculations and reading rules trying to bring it up to standard. If things fall behind, I point it out there. Sometimes it makes me seem cold, but you would feel the same having seen the number of troubles we've experienced there.
- Here its different. If you have a page debate, you don't get 100+ people who don't know the situation with a page trying to butt in and throw a argument because they want to cause trouble or they don't like the show or they just want to compare the page to things like a list of dead porn star (ahem). Many pages exist on Wikipedia for reason most wikipedians don't understand. Here people can talk a lot more freely and the air isn't so hot and humid.
- We make our own rules, which others can debate freely about. The people editing are people who care about the series, fans, who know more then the average wikipedian knows about the show. And most of all... We don't get told here a page can't exist because it lacks data when the dam page isn't even finished being edited either!!! (Yeah I've had experienced on wikipedia with that problem).
- Anyway, enough with the speeches about Wikipedia and here. Do want you want, say what you want, in the end your entitled to your opinion. But take note we are working towards a better Wikia. Until we've finished or brought it up to a much higher standard, please take all this in mind. One-Winged Hawk 19:01, 15 December 2006 (UTC)
- Reply: You don't have to yap at me. I'm going to help this site and make our own rules, we do need thousand of help if we need this site to be big as Star War Wikia, Muppet Wikia, or Star Trek Wikia.
It's better if you talk to Sayinjedi, he will disagree with you most but I would reather be honest and back down to work here rather then acting like a brainwashed fool.
Either then that I made the decision to work here.
- Well my views of wikipedia are my own, not a result of 'brainwashing' as you put it. Its very hard and frustrating to say the least, to keep a open mind and stick to wikipedias large number of rules (esp. the anime ones). There are good aspects of wikipedia, but for every 1 there are many downfalls. But being a open site, yeah... Joekido I understand what you are trying to put across, I don't hate the site, I just dislike it. No one told me wikipedia is crap, I've come to know it as that through months of experience and frustration with the dam site and the stupidity that comes of many editors.
- Maybe if you've seen the number of edits I've had to do there (removing speculations alone has seen me make about a hundred or so edits it seems at times) you would have a different opinion. Wikipedia isn't great, it isn't perfect, but neither is Wikia. Its up to the editors and viewers to make it great, but on wikipedia... Heck I wouldn't even say its standards of pages is 'high' at times, because some of them are pretty low...
- You just get too many wonderers from other areas who don't know whats going on with a page. Please understand none of us would be saying these things unless we've had the experience and displeasures that have come from being on that site. -_- One-Winged Hawk 21:12, 15 December 2006 (UTC)
- Reply: True, very true. The reason why I like it here is because here you can create thousand of articles around One Piece, something you can't do on Wikipedia. The reason why I started this subject was because Sayinjedi keep making good points and I feel that the people here may be lost to the truth but it seems that everyone knows what their talking about.
- I'm a little braindead to continue right now so I'll just move on.
- Lol. To be honest I've now run out of replies anyway Joekido. What I said is all I have to say about wikipedia. Its good, but not perfect, thats all you can sum it up as.
- Lets drop the subject of Wikipedia. Several of us here still edit on there anyway regardless of our views. If we didn't, who knows what would happen to it (someone has to be its wetnurse). One-Winged Hawk 21:29, 15 December 2006 (UTC)
More Admins?[edit source]
Just wondering, anyone else think it's time for another admin or two? We have Justyn and the creator, who disappeared....again....after being a jerk, and he doesn't seem to have any idea what he's doing or how to do anything. I was think we should start voting for a couple more, anyone else agree, or disagree? We need some more site management than what is being provided, especially with all the new templates and articles, and new members coming. So I think it's high-time we get another couple admins. All it basically means is they get a bit more power to help run the site, so we need to consider 1-2 new admins, and vote. If a few people disagree, I wil have no problem settling for our current one(s) but I just thought it'd help balance the workload. Cody2526 05:40, 22 December 2006 (UTC)
- Hmmm... Sounds good. We've had Battle Franky, join us since and Joekido has picked up his act since the last vote for admin. The only trouble this time round is who to choose. Everyone is more or less at equal grounds with each other now. One-Winged Hawk 07:01, 22 December 2006 (UTC)
Well I think me, Cody, Angel, Murasaki and Mugiwara Frank should become the Admin because we helped grow this site to the current level and we are founders too. If I became one, my only goal will be watching vandalism and delete unnecessary redirects and protect some pages. Even if I became one, I'll remember that this site belongs to the community and we should work together.
(Joekido 07:11, 22 December 2006 (UTC))
- There is no such thing as an unnecessary redirect in my opinion. (Justyn 21:30, 22 December 2006 (UTC))
- Yeah Redirects are basically using common mis-spellings to help people find the page they want. We can use more since unlike Wikipedia a slight change to spelling doesn't make it something else. I do sutff like Mr 4 to Mr. 4 just because that "." doesn't register and instantly redirect it. Anyways, yeah seems about time. We should be only like 2 for now, unless we get more people joining. Kinda defeats the purpose if almost all of us are admins. Need to pick the more responsible first, and the ones who can do more with the admin abilities. Cody2526 22:07, 22 December 2006 (UTC)
I think we should select a new admin already. Like I said before, ideal people such as me, Cody, Angel, Murasaki, and MF should be admin. We must hurry before the new wave of editors get here.
The other day, I was browsing the Muppet Wikia, there was a series of vandal attacks and I'm worried that this site can get the same treatment and Justyn may not handle it alone so we need to help out and assist the admin. As administrators we can still work together. Justyn, can you turn us into an administrator?
(Joekido 06:35, 4 January 2007 (UTC))
- Ok, look, we need to have 2, 3 tops this next time. 4 is way too much until we get about 10 new, real editors. The point is we can't just go "well they are sensable, helped out, and we don't want vandals, lets make them an admin!" we need to carefully choose the most responsible. I'd love to see all the "founders" here become admins. But we need to go carefully. Also, some people have bad days, and if 2/3 of out users are admins, it's a little hard to work together, and if someone throws a fit it means 2/3 of the already few people here so far are all able to make reverts and have more authority with no problem. I think we should pick the top 2 and stay with them until we ave about 50 more people, we'll try to keep a ratio of 1 admin per 25 people or so. After we get more I'll start advertising around One Piece sites to keep dedicated users. But I need to know we can handle it, and I hope everyone here has enough sense to not go advertising everything while we are unprepared. We can't rely on Sparkla for much longer. We need more members, we need more admins to carry out the site's main functions, and we need to be able to keep the piece here. Cody2526 08:57, 4 January 2007 (UTC)
Which means we need to start advertising this site everywhere to bring more editors. We need to find the big OP community to come here.
(Joekido 09:28, 4 January 2007 (UTC))
- Advertising would be good... Its about time we came up with a main logo and built some site banners. We should approach sites to do with the fandom and ask if they can support our banner. The downside - we'd have to support their banners too. But at least the word would be around. And I'm SURE we can find a nice page to contain things good enough. One-Winged Hawk 09:33, 4 January 2007 (UTC)
- On the side note on admins (or what ever the level here is)... Why not just hire one more for now? This time someone who edits all the time everyday.
- (Can I drop out of this already? Admin is too much responsibility... Plus I don't like the idea of perhaps having 50+ members screaming at me for doing something wrong XD ).
- At least with 1 more all the work wouldn't be left on the shoulders on just one slave-dog... I mean Justyn. (sorry I'm not in a serious mood today!). Plus if we take it one step at a time we get to see how everyone copes right? One-Winged Hawk 09:50, 4 January 2007 (UTC)
- Actually, I made a site symbol to put in the upper right. I told Justyn, but he never responded if he wanted me to upload it. I'm on version 1.0, I am trying to mess with the lighting effects to give it a glossy feel, and round off the edges, but I have a pretty good one already. Cody2526 02:14, 5 January 2007 (UTC)
Justyn is rarely ever around and I think I should be a administrator because I'm here almost everyday.
Cody, what kind of a site symbol did you make?
(Joekido 02:29, 5 January 2007 (UTC))
Ok first off we all need to decide who is admin, we aren't gonna let someone come up and go "oooh ooh pick me I wanna I wanna!" and get it. Secondly, I made one that has the entire crew(up to Robin) in front of The Merry with a sign that say One Piece Wiki on it, it's pretty cool. Only a couple of minor issues I am working on, but it'll be cool when the lighting and stuff is done. So we all seem to agree we need more, so if Justyn or Sparkla(if someone wants to get them) could start a vote, and the top 2 could become admins, I think it'll be fine. After that we should create a topic on a few One Piece sites, heck I'll drop by KF and AP and let them know. Before anyone says so, we already have passed AP by a loooong shot, so I don't think asking for help to expand here would be a problem. Cody2526 03:09, 5 January 2007 (UTC)
I just contacted Splarka but he told me that Justyn is still active and he is a bureaucrat and he can set up the vote without any of the staff's help
And here he must select this link for list of active members.
If only if Justyn can respond and set up the vote because the Wikia staff can't be of help now. Justyn, please start the voting.
(Joekido 04:37, 5 January 2007 (UTC))
A few things:
1: I'm here (I've been playing the video games I got for Christmas, though), but I don't have anything that drasticly needs my attention (that I KNOW OF, I set up pages for requests for help but no one USES THEM).
2: Cody, I thought that you were asking me to put the banner up... I have absolutly no idea how to do that or where it is... that and I've been busy playing my new games (RPGs are addictive).
3: Joekido, being here every day is a bad reason for becoming an admin, I was part of a site where the head of the site named the biggest spammer/chatterbox on the site an admin: He broke the rules of the site, banned people that called him on it, and then he had all power stripped from him. I'm not saying that you would do that (you actually have proven in my eyes that you are not ready to become an admin; in your second to last post in fact), but the flamings; the whole attempted... erm... coup de vent?... at the start of this where you basically told us to shut up and let you run the site; and the page blankings tell me that you may make a good admin one day, but that day has not today. (Justyn 05:39, 7 January 2007 (UTC))
It's not like I wanted to overthrow you Justyn. And yes I basically told you guys to shut up and let me run the site, if I became an administrator I would not be able to care how this site runs.
(Joekido 05:55, 7 January 2007 (UTC))
Reply: yes I think we should get 2 new, responsible admins. PS: I love those open ended games, I play them for a looong time. Also I never managed to play Halo before so I just started that. Video Games, rock, but are time consuming. Cody2526 10:31, 7 January 2007 (UTC)
Basic vote:[edit source]
Type "yes" if you think that we should vote for more admin.
Type "no" if you think that we should not vote for more admin.
(Justyn 05:39, 7 January 2007 (UTC))
- Reply: Yes, one more would take strain off Justyn's back a little. Should really be a admin I think who is contributing reglaurly and alot or is full of ideas. We already have our mature Admin in my view! One-Winged Hawk 08:53, 7 January 2007 (UTC)
- Note: please withdraw my name from voting list if I qualify, I'm not really interested, I like being a basic editor... Power makes you seem more bossier then you already are. One-Winged Hawk 08:53, 7 January 2007 (UTC)
- Admins are not realy "in charge"; Wikipedia puts it the best: administrators are simply users with a bucket and mop. Effectively, the janitors of Wikipedia. (Justyn 10:00, 7 January 2007 (UTC))
- Did I say you was in charge? Considering Joekido once competed with everyone on who was in charge its obvious that everyone else is in charge but you. XD One-Winged Hawk 10:58, 7 January 2007 (UTC)
- Yes: One more is a good idea. We kinda need more to run this site properly.Mugiwara Franky 10:19, 7 January 2007 (UTC)
Reply: Yes it's necessary to have more then one admins, there has to be someone watching over this site if other admins are not around. I would like to become one, as long as I don't get bossy like Kuzaya.
If you look in major Wikias like Star Wars Wiki or Muppet Wikia, they have more admins and we need to meet that level.
(Joekido 10:25, 7 January 2007 (UTC))
Reply: Yes, we should get 2 more responsible editors to help run the site more efficiently. Also, games = super addictive. I get stuck on those open ended games for weeks. Cody2526 10:31, 7 January 2007 (UTC)
Well, since no one else is voting, for this, I guess the results are:
All in favor. I'll set up the vote page, and anyone who wants to can nominate themself, but you can't vote for yourself. (Justyn 00:06, 20 January 2007 (UTC))
1,000 Mark reached?[edit source]
Can't tell just yet since the site updates number of pages something like every 12 to 24 hours. But I think we've reached our desired 1,000 page mark today by the looks of it. If not we're dam close.
I'd cry if it turns out to be 999 after today. XD One-Winged Hawk 21:12, 22 December 2006 (UTC)
That great so now let's look here;
Muppet Wikia: 12,292 Star Wars Wikia: 42,051 Star Trek Wikia: 22,109
Star Wars has that many articles due to spin-offs and a bunch of books, cartoon, comics, fan topics and such.
Now I don't want to stress editors here, but as long as Oda continue his series for 20 years and write spin-offs including books, fan topic, comic, and such we would be able to get to 10,000 mark. But with 440 chapters, we will be able to reach to 4,000 articles so as long as Oda continues his work we can get to that out-of-breath 10,000 mark but let's head to the 5,000 mark first before 10,000.
(Joekido 21:35, 22 December 2006 (UTC))
- Suddenly... I want to shoot Joekido for saying we need only make another 4,000 articles now... T_T One-Winged Hawk 21:45, 22 December 2006 (UTC)
Ok then, let's just make as many articles as we can and forget about the 5,000 mark thing
(Joekido 21:52, 22 December 2006 (UTC))
- Ah but its too late. You've mentioned it now. The number will stay in my mind. XD One-Winged Hawk 21:56, 22 December 2006 (UTC)
Other things to add to this site[edit source]
I going to be mostly responsible for them so I won't push other editors to do the work.
There are many things I would like to add here:
- Real Life Pirates
- Pop Culture reference found in One Piece
- List of Literatures found in One Piece
- More real time years
- More fictional years
- Real world terms found in One Piece(Such as Viking Funeral)
That's all I would love to add, in this site. Anyone agrees?
(Joekido 21:59, 22 December 2006 (UTC))
- Only the ones most important to One Piece. Pop Culture is fine, because it only relates to One Piece, Real Life pirates are ok as long as the article talks mostly about their influence on One Piece, real time years is ok, as long as they relate to One Piece or Oda directly, things like inspiration and important events in Oda's like would be fine for that. Fictional Years will get added as the story progresses. Cody2526 22:07, 22 December 2006 (UTC)
- Most of that stuff is beyond my knowledge on OP. Looks like some of that stuff is left in your hands Joekido. But others like Viking Funeral, yeah thats cool so long as you keep it relevant to OP + short + sweet. For pirates... Perhaps a single page would surpass rather then individual pages for each pirate. In most cases the names are all that influence Oda's character. One-Winged Hawk 22:20, 22 December 2006 (UTC)
Here's a example of literature material found in One Piece
(Joekido 22:32, 22 December 2006 (UTC))
- Pardon my French but doesn't that translate as "The Miserable" or do I suck at French(I do, I never learned much of it). Just curious. Anyways try to compact them. If the pages end up being stubs, combine them into lists, like a list of Pirate's whose names were used in One Piece or were and inspiration, if their lived were inspiring too(like Morgan to Axe-Hand Morgan) than add a short description. Or better yet make a "List of Pirates who Influenced One Piece" and have it divided into 2 sections, names, which lists all the names and the names they inspired, and onces whos lives and an influence. Cody2526 22:37, 22 December 2006 (UTC)
Starting Fresh[edit source]
It's almost the new year and we want to start fresh. I recommend everyone take a look at Wanted Pages (http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Wantedpages) and try to clean up there, creating some nice articles there where needed and for articles we don't need we can find the pages that (attempt to)link to them and delete the references. Cody2526 08:09, 23 December 2006 (UTC)
In the future Joekido please don't edit my comments. Cody2526 08:35, 23 December 2006 (UTC)
Or click here Requested articles
(Joekido 08:48, 23 December 2006 (UTC))
- We're running out of time to be ready for the new year. But its something I want us all to be able to do. Once 1st Jan happens, we can all turn round and say "Yes, we are now going to make this site our own!". After that, we can even stop referring to the Wikipedia One Piece Pages as our 'sister site' sort of thing. It sound not much, for me it is. Its the big escape from that place once and for all. ^-^ One-Winged Hawk 09:07, 23 December 2006 (UTC)
The other day I was thinking "Since I wanted One Piece to be a enjoyable hub for One Piece fans" But I come to think about it: It it be nice if One Piece Wikia is enjoyable for everybody who a are either One Piece fans or non-One Piece fans? If we make it too fanish then it won't be enjoyable to non-One Piece fans but if it's too non-fanish then it won't be enjoyable to One Piece Fans.
My point is should be be open to both sides? If we do that then it will be popular then to bar out wikipedians and lurkers who knows bit of One Piece, we should open open to the outside world then to insolate us to fandom. Just like Star War Wikia where it is enjoyable to both sides. I feel this Wikia is very very insolated to fandom and it should be opened to both sides
(Joekido 09:37, 23 December 2006 (UTC))
- Well expanding upon things like opening it up to real life reference sis already heading towards that direction. We need to create more such things, its difficult I know when you already know this stuff. But lets not think about that just yet, we have a lot of things to do Joekido before 1st of Jan. Once the 1st Jan comes, we can spend a day looking at what we have and pointing out problems with it. You read me here?
- Right now, we still have too many things to do and we're running out of time. I don't expect to find peeps on here x-mas day, so thats one day we will loose before then as well. One-Winged Hawk 09:45, 23 December 2006 (UTC)
Jan 1st[edit source]
Its getting close now to the date. We have a lot of stuff absent from our Wikia. A lot of the citizens on the citisens sections as well as other characters need to be identified. As well as others. At the mo, we have a heck of a site tidy up to do as well.
WE should start looking at what we have so far. Remember some poor soul has to draw up our directions for the new year (Joekido, you doing that or someone else?). O.o' One-Winged Hawk 15:18, 28 December 2006 (UTC)
- Whoa! Jan 1st is here. ^-^
- So lets get talking guys! One-Winged Hawk 00:49, 1 January 2007 (UTC)
We need a editor who knows Japanese and how to read it. Its hard when you come across someone who only translates half a info source. We need someone to finish the page. It would be really helpful, even if its just to clear up information. The Grand Line Times page is only half done due to the only translation being on Arlong Park (and the guy there not finishing it).
I know basic Japanese... But it doesn't help here. Anyone else on our staff know a bit more then I do, please say so now! One-Winged Hawk 12:21, 1 January 2007 (UTC)
- I'm... well, not fluent, but very good at Japanese, I've done loads of translating stuff in the past (various website translations for a forum I'm on, song lyric translations, OP chapters, as well as being a fansubber)... I could probably do it, but... I've never even heard of this thing before now. XD So... um... if someone could link me to it, I could do it, but otherwise, I can't. ^^;;
- I've also been thinking of doing the SBS stuff, so we can actually have our own SBS translations on here, but I've never gotten around to it... If people want that, I could work on that too. I own all the manga, so that makes it real easy. ^^ --Murasaki 07:23, 2 January 2007 (UTC)
- Okay, I've uploaded the pages (temporary) so they can be translated. Please excuse the state they are in, only page one was ever cleaned up by anyone. Since it was just a recap chapter, no one really put the effort across to clean things up. Doesn't help their JPG not PNG files and are a low quality scan. You can read most of the text regardless, it just isn't that easy in a few cases.
:Page257.jpg :Page258.jpg:Page259.jpg :Page260.jpg:Page261.jpg :Page262.jpg :Page263.jpg :Page264.jpg :Page265.jpg :Page266.jpg :Page267.jpg
- The thing about the SBSs is, we can't use AP's SBS translations... However we CAN use Viz's. I have the first few volumes, so I can start us off with that at least. However, it would be nice to have our own (could we use both translations?). One-Winged Hawk 09:43, 2 January 2007 (UTC)
Actually, the AP members used Stephen's translation for the SBS so we can ask him for permission like they did.
- Well look at it this way... If they hadn't... You'd have heard about it by now. One-Winged Hawk 21:01, 2 January 2007 (UTC)
You can look here for SBS transcript: http://www.mangascreener.com/stephen/onepiece/onepiece.html
But first you must ask
email@example.com <----Him for permission
AP took the translation from him with permission so we can ask him and he'll let us use his script
(Joekido 21:25, 2 January 2007 (UTC))
- If we get permission (since we stated on our rules page) we'll have to put a credit to him on the page with a link to his response (should we warn him about that???)... I think that will involve a small note in template form. All that remains is for someone to ask. You going to do that Joekido, or let someone else have the honor? :P
- We could still put other translations up afterwards, ones of our one or Viz. That is another story though. One-Winged Hawk 22:53, 2 January 2007 (UTC)
I'll handle this, I already e-mailed Stephan and soon I'll get a reply which will post the respond here. We don't need Viz, they're slow and we need to pass Volume 13 and the translation by Stephen is much closer to the Japanese source.
(Joekido 00:26, 3 January 2007 (UTC))
By reading AP's, I noticed that they had no images, although they were referenced. Also Viz is going to take forever, and may not have the best translations, I think we should start from scratch as well as scan and clean the images Oda provided and upload them at their original sizes, especially for masks and stuff he made, like cut outs which require being sized up in a specific way. Cody2526 02:18, 5 January 2007 (UTC)
I'm okay with pretty much whatever is decided for SBS stuff. I do think that going with something non-Viz is probably best, since they take so long (and censor/tone down many of the dirtier questions), but if we use Stephen's translations instead of making our own, that's fine with me (I just need to know if I should get to work on that or not). ^^ I still could scan in the other stuff from the originals, though, if we want the pics and whatnot (when they're necessary/useful, oftentimes there's just pics for no real reason. XD)
I'll get to work on the translation for the other thing tonight, probably, I haven't been feeling too inclined to translate it for some reason... ^^;; I'll put it... somewhere when it's done. I don't wanna put it on the page myself, but I'll probably put it on the talk page and someone else can put it on however they like. XD --Murasaki 06:31, 11 January 2007 (UTC)
Merge some of Our Articles[edit source]
I think we need to look at some our articles from time to time to see if any should be merged or otherwise. I'm not talking about merge all Animals to one page, I'm talking about merging certain subjects together to make a good article. For example, let's say someone wrote an article about a room in the Thousand Sunny. Wouldn't the topic be best placed in the Thousand Sunny first before actually getting it's own. I'm seeing some information here and there scattered around as if no one's carefully looking for their right place. I mean we kinda have Pirate and Pirates. We can give every topic it's own page but let's be reasonable and check if there isn't a place set up already or something like that.Mugiwara Franky 03:19, 2 January 2007 (UTC)
- Well the page Pirates should really be renamed something like "Pirate Guide" and the page then redirected to Pirate. That I can say straight off my head as something that should be done, but thats another issue. The guides generally are because a lot of the minor characters are not easy for the average reader to identify. Esp. if the said reader only know the English dub (Dubby Question: Who is Apis?). The stubs are the main targets for us on merging. Some of them really are not needed. The larger ones:
- 3 powers
- 3 powers
- Thats okay to have a page for each. The 3 great powers page can go more into detail as to the balance between the three while the others explain in detail who they are. In that case a merger is no point (all 4 are well established articles anyway). One-Winged Hawk 09:53, 2 January 2007 (UTC)
Overall English[edit source]
Considering we're an english encyclopedia, we may have to consider making some of our words if any more english sounding. I'm not saying use the English version, I'm saying use the English language when it can be applied. For example, we have Kairoseki, a word which could be translated to Seastone. This course of action may mean using half translations, fan terms, and may make arguments but would it be more acceptable to use Kaigun instead of Marines, and Gyojin instead of Fishmen, just because it cancels out arguments or something like that. This wikia's main customers are going to be mostly English speakers and we should cater to some of their needs especially considering some of them may not know Japanese at all.Mugiwara Franky 03:19, 2 January 2007 (UTC)
- Our overall English sucks... None of us have perfect Grammar or spelling... Oh wait! That not what is being discussed here!
- Some of that is okay I suppose. Its harder to explain Gyojin to a person who doesn't know what it means, tell them Arlong is a fishman not a merman and they understand. You'd need a good explanation at the start of every page. I'm against fan terms and half translations... Linking such to the main pages is better then using either of those as the main. We're slowly getting towards catering for those unknowledged. But its not a very fast effort.
- Some of the english translations just confuse people sometimes. That is all we got to consider. We have a couple of days of discussions left though, but it is something to note. And MF is right for pointing things here like that out. :/ One-Winged Hawk 09:21, 4 January 2007 (UTC)
- Confusion is gonna happen in One Piece when it comes to portraying it in English. With the end of 4kis' dub and the rate Viz is going, One Piece maybe Japanese for a long time. With that the case, all we'll have is fan terms and such. Sure some of them maybe wrong and such but some of them actually work. Take Boo Jack's armor for instance. It's commonly called the Toge Toge Armor and I assume that it's a fan term. It may look somewhat wrong but it actually works in an English sentence. Take this for example.
- The Toge Toge Armor is worn by Boo Jack.
- This sentence gives some basic ideas which a non Japanese speaking reader can understand. He knows the subject is armor worn by a character called Boo Jack and that it's name is Toge Toge. What the reader doesn't know is what "Toge Toge" means. However, that's not important because the sentence is about who wears the armor and not what the armor's name means.
- Now for whatever reason, we change the name to it's original Japanese counterpart because the name maybe confusing, is a fanterm, and or Spike Spike Armor isn't common. We end up with a sentence like this.
- The Toge Toge no Yoroi is worn by Boo Jack.
- This seems a lot more political correct per say. However, wouldn't it raise more questions than answers. What is the subject being talked about, a shirt, a brief or something else? Do the words surrounding the name give any clue to what is being talked about? Can the name be used in any other sentence and keep the same idea? Would the reader confuse it for the Toge Toge no Mi? These questions and many others may come up if the name in that form is used.
- If there is a term, be it fan term, half translation, or whatever, that is commonly known and conveys the Japanese name well then we should use it. Kilo Kilo Fruit is commonly known and conveys Kiro Kiro no Mi well so we could use it. Seven Gods of the Sea maybe commonly known but doesn't convey Shichibukai so we may not use it. Tele Snail or Snail Phone may convey Den Den Mushi but it isn't commonly known so we can't use this. It's all in the analysis of the term. We're an english encyclopedia so we should try to be as English as where possible.Mugiwara Franky 06:03, 11 January 2007 (UTC)
Main site logo[edit source]
Thanks Angel for bringing that up, we should create this site's logo and a banner to promote it to different sites.
Muppet Wikia site logo has Kermit's eye, Wookiepedia has a death star, Memory Alpha has a Enterprise ship, so I think the best popular logo for this site should be a Straw Hat and the banner should have "One Piece Wiki" written on it.
Anyone here knows how to make a gif? I'm sure MF has the idea because he created the Going Marry gif.
(Joekido 09:52, 4 January 2007 (UTC))
- Aye, I can make them... I have several art programs that can do it... And I know enough about graphics design to do so (though I think we should all make one each for several reasons). The Going Merry one is okay, but it doesn't really make us different from Wikipedia... Then again we don't want one that makes us seem like a fansite. We need our own unique one really that says what we are (but not a boring one). One-Winged Hawk 09:59, 4 January 2007 (UTC)
- I've already made a logo for the top of the site. It still needs a little work to make it look cool, but the basic image is done, I just need to tweak some lighting and such in Photoshop and round off the corners and it'll look cool and shiny. Cody2526 08:53, 9 January 2007 (UTC)
Proposing Main page layout[edit source]
Okay it only took 1 day to fix it... But its ready:
[[Angel Emfrbl's Super Testy Page]]
Here is a layout suggestion from Joekido. Not exactly how he had it since I had to shuffle everything around to get the layout working. But its ready for being put up in front of the community for discussion.
Its not 100% complete, there *is* a small gap on the right hand side for a couple of more items.... And the navibar could do with be shoved down at the bottom (that yellow bar with article request, copy-right etc). But its ready for discussion.
All credit here goes to Joekido. There is a alternative layout open in case everyone hates this one, which would only take half an hour to an hour to alter in ready for it... Contains everything here, but its set out in one column not on a split page. One-Winged Hawk 09:59, 4 January 2007 (UTC)
- Considering how long it took to bring it to ready status... The response here is disappointing. We're more worried about new admins then bringing the site up to snuff. The standards of our Wikia should always be our first priority over stuff like Admins. One-Winged Hawk 11:03, 7 January 2007 (UTC)
Updating the Bulletins[edit source]
I know they are now on their own template (because I want to tablefy them later)... But thats no biggy to find. Template:CP Bulletins. Thats the name. You can find it in the search if need be.
Every time we open up a big discussion, we should be noting it on that page... Hell every time we do anything major we should be putting it on there. Including discussion (Mihawk one wasn't put on there) and other things. A aim for the new year - getting everyone else on this Wikia into the habbit of updating that. All you have to do is put [[User:Your User name here|Your username here]] every entry. If you want you don't even have to do that, you can remain anon and not sign it. One-Winged Hawk 10:27, 4 January 2007 (UTC)
Community Café[edit source]
Okay its not used very often... And Joekido is keen to put reviews up. I'm against them... But why not have them link here? It wouldn't hurt to have such pages act as an extension of the Community Cafe (which pretty much is a editors scrapbook and ideal for linking these to). It makes him happy... And puts that page to use. (This is why I tell you off for blanking a page Joekido... I needed time to think on it!). I wouldn't mind if we did that. I'm sure Joekido and everyone else wouldn't mind.
So long as we make it CLEAR none of the stuff on it is to be used as facts and are opinions... It could work. But the MAIN thing to remember here is this - we're an encyclopedia not a fansite. Sure we are all fans (I presume) but we are suppose to be keeping this site open for anyone to enjoy. It could backfire on us. Also remember we're not a chat room, we'd have to treat those talk pages slightly differently, we'll come to that. :/
Everyone's thoughts? One-Winged Hawk 23:08, 10 January 2007 (UTC)
Ok, I'll post reviews in the community cafe section.
(Joekido 00:27, 11 January 2007 (UTC))
Article Uniformity and Organization[edit source]
I think this a concern we should be starting to think about in the near future if not now. Currently we have more than 1000 articles but a lot of them aren't uniformed or organized in style per say. We kinda have some guides that we could use but it seems like only a few articles are following them. With all these articles in disarray it looks almost like a big mess. I mean, I go to one article and see one style of layout, and then I go to another article and see another layout. It kinda really looks messy.
Another related matter is exactly how articles should be named. I'm not talking about what names to use, I'm talking about how the article titles should be written. Should it be [[[Big-Pan]] or Big Pan? Should it be ship or Ship? Should it be [[The Going Merry]] or simply Going Merry? This is a concern we must also tackle because well there's no uniformity with the title. Also as a result of this, we accidentally got two Miss Father's Day articles, Miss Father's Day and Miss Father's day.
The articles and their titles don't necessarily need to be all in uniform per say but a little uniformity might at least make this site a little cleaner. Mugiwara Franky 00:55, 14 January 2007 (UTC)
- First off, I'd like to thank you for suggesting this. I've noticed the same exact thing, but haven't been able to bring myself to mention it, as everyone else seems to be caring far more about hitting a certain amount of pages, or making some sort of plan for the future, instead of simply improving what we have now.
- Now, onto the specifics... First off, I think that the page layout guides, although useful, would be far more useful if they were far more obvious. I didn't even know they existed until I saw them listed on the "All pages" list. I found the chapter one entirely by mistake, and, although I didn't follow it exactly, I used it as a guideline when I did the chapter pages for the first volume. But if the page had been more obvious, I could have followed it from the beginning, and never had the problem to begin with. So, I would suggest making sure everyone knows where to find these layouts.
- Also, although not as important, I really do think that it would help make things not only more organized, but also seem more "professional", if we were to move layout pages, rule pages, and that sort of thing to the "One Piece Wiki" namespace. Right now, we have 12 pages in that namespace. We have many more that could benefit from being there. I know many people hate being reminded of Wikipedia's policies, but I still would like to bring Wikipedia up here; over there, all of the rules and guidelines are on the Wikipedia namespace. This not only makes them more uniform, it also makes it far more obvious that they are official, and not simply something somebody decided to put into place. I really think this site could benefit from doing this; I don't know if normal editors are allowed to put things there, but I'm sure that an admin can.
- For article names... well, for names and other proper nouns, capitalization should be obvious (I have no clue why anyone would create that "Miss Father's day" article, it defies any and all proper English... not that many people seem to follow that here >_>) For other stuff, we should probably make some sort of list of guidelines for people to follow. If an article title is only one word, it should probably be capitalized, but I don't know how people feel about words following that. We should come to some sort of decision, and make sure it's written somewhere easy to find, so that people can follow it.
- I think that's everything you brought up... Sorry for the long-winded reply. ^^;; XD --Murasaki 01:22, 14 January 2007 (UTC)
- I'm back at university (today I'm off though) so I'm now limited to help on this site at weekends. I was bringing all the pages up to speed and sorting them out to make them fit to our page layouts, but got side-tracked by other stuff. I'll do some more today. We better get things sorted fast. Someone should also take a look at stubs and see if they can be merged/expended upon. In a few cases I did write quick stubs recently (I apologise) because I was busy and only have time to do that.
- We also still have pages that are out of page (templates was created to point it out because I didn't have time to do it myself). At this point I say hold off creating new pages UNTIL we get the old ones up to date + orgainsed. Everyone agreed?One-Winged Hawk 11:36, 16 January 2007 (UTC)
Grading Pages[edit source]
Related to the above idea ^
Basically its like how they have it on wikipedia, the pages are graded. Heres my suggestion first of all I start with a list of things on a page:
- Has more then 7 references supplied
- Contains recent chapter info
- Japanese references included where needed
- Links to related articles
- No speculations
- Significant details on history, background, etc (info depend)
- Supply pictures, that have a well written copyright info on their page
- No picture overloading
- No vandalism
- Not just a blank page or a stub
- No edit wars currently taking place on page
- Follows a page layout or is organised well enough for easy info finding
So taking that in mind, here are the grades:
- Everything listed above
- Everything listed above, however it is not complete
- A couple of missing thing from above, but what is there is in a significant amount.
- A few things missing, lack of info on what is there.
- More then half of the things in the list are missing.
- Only a few things on the list are present on the article
- Nothing on the list is on the page. (shouldn't be anything on this grade)
I'm thinking this template should be a small picture-linked button on the left-hand side of the page with a grade number on. The button will have a number, the 7 would be on a red background and the grade would change to green as you progress to Grade 1. Its food for thought. I'm still pondering the idea. I'm thinking "nothing that distracts the reader too much". One-Winged Hawk 12:03, 16 January 2007 (UTC)
- Umm, would some reasonable speculations without any sort of written document to back them up be allowed, like how Usopp might be based on Pinocchio? Would it be best suited in the left hand corner or in the talk page? Is this the criteria we would use for a featured article? If it is, on what level would an article need to be on just to be featured? Also, shouldn't the criteria "Not being subject to an Edit war" be also included? Just some thoughts and questions.Mugiwara Franky 14:51, 16 January 2007 (UTC)
- Hmmm... Its pretty obvious, but unconfirmed about such things like Usopp's nose. I suppose those such speculations would be allowed it depends. I'm gonna say featured articles shouldn't be based on the grading system. Its to bring the attention of a article to people and show them one of articles we have here.
- Yes... Edit war should be there... I forgot about that. XD
- If we discuss this further, by the weekend we should have basically out criteria set up for the grading system. We really need to decide via a few links. Clearly, stubs like Makino and Bear King are graded only about 6. I'd also put a category in each case so we can see what other articles are graded the same. I want to avoid arguments between the grades as well, which is why I need everyone's opinion on this... But if it works, we can easily go through all the articles and see what just exactly what articles NEED attention. One-Winged Hawk 18:59, 16 January 2007 (UTC)
- Another idea for grading is to list all the critical and have a point system for them. So if it has no refs =0, a few = 1, more then 7 = 2 etc....
- To get certain grades they need to achieve a high enough score. This has flaws, but is an alternative way of doing it. One-Winged Hawk 19:04, 16 January 2007 (UTC)
- Although in theory I think this is a good idea, I do think that at least the "References" one is too strict. For a crew member or other important character page, or an arc page, it may be fully appropriate. However, for a more minor character, I highly doubt that we'll be able to get 7 references. Same goes for Devil Fruits; unless it was used by a very major character, we'll probably only be able to get a small amount, otherwise it just seems pointless. Chapter pages are another I can see that causing problems; for example, look at the [[Chapter 1 - Romance Dawn - The Dawn of the Adventure|Chapter 1]] page. What could possibly be referenced? I suppose the quotes could be given page numbers, and for some chapters the notes may be able to be referenced (for example, if there was an SBS question referring to the chapter), but anything more than that seems overboard for a page like that. I'm sure there's other pages where that many references is just irreversible/seems far too much. If that was open to interpretation depending on the page, however, I think it's fine. I think that's the only criteria up there I have problems with at the moment... If we can figure out a way to make that work, then I think it's a fine idea. ^^ --Murasaki 22:58, 16 January 2007 (UTC)
- I'll supply some details next weekend... We'll spend the next week talking about it if anyone wants to. Then the weekend after (if everyone approves) I'll put it into force. I'm looking to have a small grade no somewhere at the top of the page. It will be I think only 30 x 30 pixels... Maybe less depending I don't want it to take up page space. Just bring things to attention. Its just a number, when you click on it SHOULD take you to the page to explain grades. As I said, I'll write it up by next weekend. Much of what you said Murasaki I have to think about. The reference thing... Maybe just covering all details.
- The thing with refs is you should be able to go to the chapter and find the reference for confirmation. If the info is completely covered in one reference, then yeah it does raise a point on that note. 7 is indeed too much. :/ One-Winged Hawk 11:43, 20 January 2007 (UTC)
Another Wikipedia Rescue[edit source]
All the articles linked to this template need saving.
Putting one article up for deletion and having a dozen others put up by delete-happy peeps on wikipedia puts you up ever nominating them in the first place... But never mind. We have less then a week to save every one of those articles. I'll start tomorrow, but making everyone aware today. Thats IF we want to save them. One-Winged Hawk 13:29, 25 January 2007 (UTC)
- I don't believe this, why not delete every One Piece article if this mass deletion spree is going on. Somebody really needs to complain to someone about these kinda things.
- Anyway, I think we kinda have those articles already, most I guess.Mugiwara Franky 15:47, 25 January 2007 (UTC)
- Ahem the islands are my job.... well not job but it's my own personal product I'm working on. Once we get anything worthwhile from there we may have missed no reason to stop them. Wikipedia has screwed itself over 100 times already, and after one so called One Piece fan and wikipedians who don't have a clue what One Piece really is, or enjoy it, basically made sure no matter how many people we got voting for Marines over Navy, they'd have us all banned. Wikipedians for some crazy reason feel things are unimportant. I've seen so many articles deleted, if they exist it's important enough, but so many people seem so intent on doing things how they want wikipedia, and other wikipedians agree just so they can do what they want. Think an article deserves to die? Delete it. Someone wants it brought back? Get them banned. THat's Wikipedian Politics, if I weren't sick of it and the people over there I wouldn't be here. Anyways let people who hardly understand what Anime is(Ask and they'll say Japanese Animation usually with a main plotline, the dictionary definition) and really don't care. Let them ruin Wikipedia. Not logged in right now, Cody2526
Can we just drop the whole Wikipedia thingy? Seriously, it's getting old and we don't need to discuss about them anymore. Let's just move on.
(Joekido 03:20, 8 February 2007 (UTC))
- Yeah I have to agree with that. I'm done with them. I think its best we treat it as we do 4Kids or anything else. Don't hate it... But also don't praise it. Best way to go about it. One-Winged Hawk 10:59, 8 February 2007 (UTC)
Vandal templates[edit source]
Okay... This is a iffy prob. While Joekido is doing his job telling off vandals, he is going over the top a little with use of swear words (used only once on a vandal), threats (two vandals). No sweat, its no biggy. This Sunday I'll sit down and create some vandal templates like Wikipedia has with all our banning warning levels.
Its not just Joekido I'm considering here, but everyone as well as flamers and a lot worst. Vandals can be incited to go on a rampage with the wrong choice of words so its best we have a agreed standard template to do the job.
We'll leave actual bans to Justyn when he is around. In the meanwhile these templates will serve as a warning of what the vandal can expect.
Thoughts before I start? One-Winged Hawk 08:39, 16 February 2007 (UTC)
- It's a good idea to have those kind of templates. I've always found them nice and polite on a matter that might be extremely serious.Mugiwara Franky 09:45, 16 February 2007 (UTC)
- Dam... That means I can't say "You stupid little F---ing maggot..." then.
- Lol, just kidding, I wouldn't use that. XD One-Winged Hawk 19:52, 16 February 2007 (UTC)
But...But I did not threat that vandal, I merely just warned him without using any swear words or any insults.
I agree to start vandal templates but let's do spambot too also.
(Joekido 20:27, 16 February 2007 (UTC))
- The warning came out as a threat, thats only prob with it Joekido. ^-^'
- Don't worry, I'm just getting this sorted for everyone's benefits, I'm not picking on you particular, I'm just trying not to leave anyone out on a limb. Its more of a protection against all editors thing.
- Wouldn't spambots be under the same thing??? O.o' One-Winged Hawk 21:54, 16 February 2007 (UTC)
Okay after locating 3 lost articles I'm deeply concerned here. While creating the pirates template to house all the links for pirate terminology and our links from real and fictional pirates... I've found 3 pages that have been lost in the amount of pages.
So I'm raising the issue here about sorting out our articles... We have a lot, we reached our aim of 1,000 pages but it has now began to cost us dearly. We have a major problem, if the articles are not easy to find or someone doesn't know they exist, they can't edit them. While navigation templates link pages, they don't always solve problems. For every pages linked to a navi template we have a dozen more floating lost in our library of pages.
I'm calling for some spring cleaning to be done... We need to sit here and find a way to store pages better. One-Winged Hawk 19:04, 5 March 2007 (UTC)
- Now its 4 pirate articles found that had been lost. One-Winged Hawk 19:17, 5 March 2007 (UTC)
- I think we need to create a reference page that links to any article without a matching template, but the only way we can get it to work is to go through every members contributions and find any pages that they created. We need to do it while we have a relatively low list of active members. I was trying to tell everyone months ago that creating a page for everything will only cause problems so early on, which is why I wanted something similar to Wikipedia's notability requirements, but instead of whether it should exist or not, it'd be whether it deserves it's own article. Cody2526 00:08, 6 March 2007 (UTC)
- At the left side, under toolbox, is a link that leads to "Special pages". These pages can help us a bit I believe.
- I think one of the major reasons that we're having this kinds of problems is that we've been doing things a bit too fast without any good planning. We've been trying to reach standards like those in Wookiepedia far too soon when we're still a small community. Our main page alone needs serious updating and we still don't even have a logo( How's that coming by the way, Cody? I'd like to see it). In the future if not now, I think we should really think about making good articles rather than number of articles so I agree on the whole spring cleaning thing. Mugiwara Franky 04:23, 6 March 2007 (UTC)
- At this point, even a index page would be a good idea... (A, B, C, etc). Lets get a plan sorted and then this weekend sit back and work on getting it into place over the next few weeks before we do any other major site development. The longer we put this off, the worst its gonna get. We're already in a bad enough situation as it is. One-Winged Hawk 08:52, 6 March 2007 (UTC)
After reading this, I'm going to take a shift from my original "many pages" plans and bland in to do a spring cleaning in able to keep track of our work. This community is so small because One Piece is not big as Star Wars in America and I pray that this community will grow as big as Wookiepedia in the following months.
(Joekido 09:42, 6 March 2007 (UTC))
Something else I better mention while its on my mind... Its no good relying on the fact we have a search button. From experience of wikipedia and forums, people don't know how to use a search button (least it seems that way) to find stuff. So relying on the search button in our plan at any one point isn't going to be a sure way of solving the problem. One-Winged Hawk 10:00, 6 March 2007 (UTC)
A little rent[edit source]
While I'm happy to help out and I don't mean to argue or whine here, yet, I'm getting a very tired of editing here, mostly because many of my edits are changed dramatically and it's kind of discouraging to change them back. For example, I changed Robin's history section to make it far from Wikipedia but later someone will change it back to it's original context. Yet when I tried to make any other article become far from wikipedia, it'll get changed back, whatever I add something, it'll disappear a week later, whatever I link something, it'll disappear, whatever I fix something, it'll get reverted, whatever I remove the redirect, it will putted back, whatever I give anything it's own page, it gets redirected.
I plan to give Zombie, Cerberus, Manticore, Unicorn, Cheshire Cat, [[Ghost]], [[Hunchback]], Centaur it's own pages but someone will redirect them to the Thriller Bark Creatures so it's hard to do that when someone keeps changing or merging it.
I think we need to start a page where we can plan to improve most site or make a list of subject to change where we can discuss without changing everything which gets on my nerves and I don't want to experience this anymore.
My first move is I'm going to change the Robin history section and I beg you not to revert it. After I deal with Robin, Franky is next.
(Joekido 08:45, 11 March 2007 (UTC))
- Are you talking about Robin's personality section which is titled personality because it's about her personality, supposed to talk about her personality and not about her history.
- The thing is that the way you are doing and handling things here are really sloppy and not well planned to tell you the truth. Let me name some of them.
- In the Dial pages, you argued for them relentlessly and countlessly for them from time to time but you have not improved them not one bit. You didn't even research whether the Ball Dial exists or not.
- In Califa, which I assume you are planning to do, you completely changed the entire page from one that provided at least some correct information to one that doesn't make any sense at all. It hasn't been updated ever since.
- You created Thriller Bark Mansion, and several other articles like it but it seems like you are doing anything with them. You are just leaving them siting there all sloppy looking and under maintained as if your only goal is to just article dumping.
- Some of things you write are completely misplaced and misspelled. I mean do you proof read or even read at all seriously.
- You say you have plans but they don't seem to very well planned or explained. I mean can you please explain some things in the main page. You want to give the Cheshire Cat, a creature that hasn't so far done anything extraordinary to make it a major character. Why don't you give Kakukaku, an extremely minor background Galley-La shipwright, his own page so it can be like "5 years" which I doubt anyone will care about.
- You say you don't want any of your editing to be changed but did you care to even analyze the saying at the bottom that says "If you don't want your writing to be edited mercilessly and redistributed at will, then don't submit it here." Do you know what that means. It means if you don't want something like all of your edits to corrected in spelling and content then don't submit it here.
- Seriously Joekiddo, you want this site to be so far away from Wikipedia that it seems like you completely disregard some things that might make this site better. You want it to be like Wookiepedia and Muppet Wiki but it seems like you are doing it the wrong way. It should be done in baby steps and dumping all these articles here and there is not baby steps. I sorry to say this but if you keep this attitude of yours of just caring about article numbers and such only, instead of manageable content that can actually teach people about One Piece, then you just hindering us.
- Sorry I'm in a bad mood right now and your comments have just increased my perception that this site is dying. I mean lately it seems like only 2 to 3 editors are adding anything daily at all.Mugiwara Franky 12:12, 11 March 2007 (UTC)
You seems to treat me as a push-over but I'm not pointing my fingers at any editors, I'm pointing out the fact I see in this site and yes, Robin'e personal section has been changed and it's tires me to redo it but I won't let this site die. I can respect your mood, but I'm not here for any fistfights so better to just understand the point.
(Joekido 12:26, 11 March 2007 (UTC))
- Joekido, I'm not supporting you here.
- I'm not gonna be nice this time, I don't care if I get the rules thrown on me here. This HAS to be said. Some of it, the others are properly holding back on. I won't. I've had enough. Don't complain if I hurt your feelings here, you've had this coming Joekido for a while.
- Firstly, you call that a rant?
- Let me show you how its done.
- If you read up a bit further on this page you'll see the outcome of reaching 1,000 articles. I too was keen to reach that goal, but now I see that was a mistake to desire that. We now have 1,300+ articles and feeling the back lash of all those articles. Did you know 4 of our pirate articles related to real life pirates were lost in our archieves of articles, mostly because there was only one link to them (in one case, none). Nobody knew they existed, how can anyone edit a page that doesn't exist?
- Something I'd LIKE to point out about Robin's section... I've opened up history and set it to "Show 500" on the users who have edited it. Last time you edited it was 19th of December (and seems to be your ONLY edit to that page) and I will side on MF with this one... You seemed to be merging personality and history into one section there.
- Your treating this as your wikia, maybe you don't think of it like that, but you always give the impression of it. You don't want to talk to us. You don't want to listen to us either. You argue with everyone over little things. Until your prepared to consider that in order for this wikipedia to work, all of us have to discuss and decide on things. MF, Muga and I myself will often write up questions and ask for others opinions. We don't always agree with each other, but we're talking to each other.
- Your editing rates are getting less and less, then you come complain about it when someone alters them? I admitted I didn't forgot about the dial pages plan, but then again, as I said - where was the plan you wrote out for that page?Not one place did you write what you intended to do with it beyond ensuring us you were handling that page. I stood back and let you handle the animals subject after a fight with you over them... You did nothing! Your spelling and grammar is worst then mine (and I have dyslexia I add). On top of that, you can't keep certain articles neutral (concerning 4Kids stuff here).
- Where is the problem Joekido? Look in the mirror you'll see it. Before you complain, look at your own edits and ask yourself "am I doing this right?".
- Some things we can't avoid... The character pages are designed for easy editing, but with all due respect their gonna end up resembling wikipedia and Arlong Parks stuff due to the info and same sections in them. There is nothing you can do without removing stuff. Everyone is trying to work towards an encyclopedic, we're doing it slowly, but you seem to be hindering not helping at times.
- I'm sorry, but right now, I don't support you at the moment. Until today, I had come to live with things and even like some of your edits (you did make a number of good ones). But if your not gonna put the work into the site, your not gonna try to work with the rest of us and your just gonna whine about your edits... Then leave and don't come back this time (heck, I'd do the same). You obviously are not happy here with the rest of us. So now for the icing on the cake of this rant and my final opinion of your complaining and lack of reason with the rest of us:
- Go Lost!
- I wash my hands clean of the whole mess now. I have nothing further to say. Other then Joekido, you've had many months now to improve. Your progression from edits at the start when you first came are not much different to now. If I was you and I was going to stay here, I'd learn to improve my edits right here and now. One-Winged Hawk 15:30, 11 March 2007 (UTC)
Testers and other thoughts about all things wikia...[edit source]
Well, we could try this out... Go to the forums and ask people to look up stuff (but not edit) then voice an opinion on their findings. We could get some fair bit of feed back... :/
At the same time we could also put out an ad for a foreign languages help.
Some ideas. On the other put, I also think we need some site banners and or ads. Very few people know we exist. If we all produce one banner and ad for usage, we would have 3 or so different choice, all we need is the pixel size. Even if we don't all do it, I'm sure one of us can work on it if this isn't already being worked on. I could do a few if need be just to start us off. One-Winged Hawk 16:11, 13 March 2007 (UTC)
- I have a simple site ad... If anyone likes it. Took me a few mins to do:
- I can do better!
- Another thought that crossed my mind: Should we approach other sites ask them to ad our banner when we get one? The price would be we'd have to host theirs, but if we got some advertisement... Its excused? We might have to just screw the rules about linking to bit torrent and alter it so it just reads "direct bit torrents" if we could get somewhere like K-F or so forth to put our ad on their site... Don't know if they allow it though. :/ One-Winged Hawk 16:34, 13 March 2007 (UTC)
- On the I can do better... Much better... Short animations anyone? Not the best in the world, but I can do an example for everyone if they like and have it up in a few days time. ;) One-Winged Hawk 17:38, 20 March 2007 (UTC)
- Question... We allowed to link the character pages on wikipedia (and a few others) to our pages? I recall we can, but we have to link back. May I also suggest if this is a option we do that. One-Winged Hawk 14:18, 15 March 2007 (UTC)
- This seems to be a no-go... But here it is again:
- Ad designs... With no response... Is depressing. One-Winged Hawk 14:13, 14 April 2007 (UTC)
- The first one seems so and so in some parts but looks nice nonetheless. The second one looks nice and may need some improvement. It's best to use both of them if not make more.Mugiwara Franky 14:36, 14 April 2007 (UTC)
- One last one. For now... Until I rethink about them.
Hmm... How about a animation?
This one might not be the best demo... Its suppose to be Shanks from One Piece Baseball game... I found some sprites on a site. Though its more cute then practical. XD One-Winged Hawk 15:26, 17 April 2007 (UTC)
- I can easily add a background in there and adjust the size BTW, its as simple as pick and drop.
- And I can get put the other animations from the site in:
- Downside... We have to give credit to use of a few of the animations on that site when we up load here. One-Winged Hawk 18:48, 17 April 2007 (UTC)
- It might be better with another animation to the left of the same style... Like Chopper or Ace. I'm pondering on that thought. :/ One-Winged Hawk 19:12, 17 April 2007 (UTC)
- The banners are great so far is all I can say. Best make even more and start placing them here and there.Mugiwara Franky 03:33, 18 April 2007 (UTC)
I personally liked the first banner, with teh Straw Hats one them. How can I get that on my sig on the forums I go to? - BattleFranky202 13:33, 18 April 2007 (UTC)
I like these banners however we'll need to pick a necessary one. We also need a trademark logo like death star for Wookiepedia, Kermit's eye for Muppet Wikia, and an enterprise ship for Memory Alpha. I still think Luffy's straw hat may be the best trademark logo
(Joekido 20:33, 18 April 2007 (UTC))
- A logo? Isn't that obvious; it should be the Straw Hat Jolly Roger! - BattleFranky202 13:22, 19 April 2007 (UTC)
- Ditto agreements there... However the Straw Hat as good of a representation of OP is overused... Really unavoidable... But overused.
- I recall a few months back someone mentioned somebody was working on a logo... What happened to it? One-Winged Hawk 21:59, 18 April 2007 (UTC)
- Hmmm... The good thing is I've been reading Arlong Park's rules and found they have two lines of text about ads :
- We do not allow the advertising of other sites except in the user's signature or in his profile. Any posts that are made specifically to advertise a site will be deleted.
- I'm going to use that animation as a temporary ad and stick it in my sig (I was retiring my Fishman/Merman sig anyway due to everyone has the message now after my nagging over the difference). One-Winged Hawk 19:59, 20 April 2007 (UTC)
I don't suppose anyone cares... But I have a complaint about the way small stub articles get "no refs" posted on them. Silk and the co-related Romance Dawn articles are self referencing themselves. Do we always need a "reference" section? I even put up pics for them, but beyond that what else there to offer? :/ One-Winged Hawk 17:35, 20 March 2007 (UTC)
- I guess articles like Silk and the chapter pages don't really need a reference section. It's really hard to put references since it's right there. Best to carefully consider the content of an article before tagging it with a "No Reference" I say. Mugiwara Franky 01:45, 22 March 2007 (UTC)
- Yeah, the text itself is only short so its ot exactly hard to find the info too. I guess I can remove the tag from all the RD pages. So long as they say they are from RD it should be fine. I like the fact someone bothered to tag articles (and I'm all wow how many were done), but in a few cases the tagged pages seem odd they were. One-Winged Hawk 06:21, 22 March 2007 (UTC)
- I created a new template yesterday (not finished): Confirm. Its been created to highlight unreferenced statements on the pages. I figured when I saw this it would help highlight problem paragraphs if a person doesn't know themselves or something.
- Another note, Garp once carried the no refs template and it was removed. Yet aside from the RD section now on his page there is only on thing referenced... The template is to highlight poorly referenced pages as well as no referred pages, hence the words "few or no. It save creating a template for other stuff. One-Winged Hawk 06:50, 22 March 2007 (UTC)
I'm confused here...
First of all, the attacks were meant to be on the characters pages. They have their own page. But they are also on Devil Fruit pages. Some are on fighting Style pages... Now I'm wondering why so many pages share the same info?
- Fight Styles Pages - Wouldn't it be best to cut out the fighting style pages and just have the term redirect to the character page.
- Forms - Same as above.
- Devil Fruit - I actually see no point in attacks here. The individual invented the attacks based on the power, but the pages are just about the properties of the power. I say leave it since I don't understand whats going on all the time here.
- Characters - One of the big greats about coming here was the notion attacks could exist on the character pages whereas wikipedia had no room for them. So I began putting them back on. And logically speaking its nice to have forms and attacks from one character all on the same page.
- Attacks page - Retire this page completely. Right now I'm using it to set up templates, but as soon as I'm done I'll retire this page and put it up for deletion.
Unless someone objects, this is what I'll be doing over the next 2 weeks. Any other ideas, express them now. One-Winged Hawk 10:34, 2 April 2007 (UTC)
- The Fighting style pages and the Devil Fruit pages having attacks is technically supposed give the character pages some room so they can expand on things like personality and history. We can make extremely long articles here however some things like all of Luffy's attacks would clutter up a page. I mean try previewing his page with all of his attacks listed there. The page would at least become two to three pages long. That situation might become a little too much for a reader who might have computer problems.
- In any case, having one single article listing all of the attacks in One Piece is a modem problem. However having several properly named and categorized articles listing the attacks is a good idea for both the characters and a reader's computers. Mugiwara Franky 23:41, 2 April 2007 (UTC)
- Yeah there is another problem too with referencing. So I stopped at Robin to rethink. I want to retired the crappy disorganised Attacks page that much I know... But this is bugging me. If anyone has ideas let me know, I'm tempting towards now say attacks pages for each instead of templates. The referencing problem I'm getting only happens with templates. So if I don't come up with anything by tomorrow, or anyone doesn't have any ideas, thats what I'm doing. One-Winged Hawk 08:01, 3 April 2007 (UTC)
- Umm, by the way, can the named Devil Fruit based attacks and abilities that were moved to the character pages be moved back to the character's Devil Fruit pages? I kinda forgot to mention this but having them there in the kinda strengthens the fruit pages. I mean it kinda answers more questions about a fruit. For instance, it answers the question, "What techniques a user can do if they ate this fruit?", or the question, "How imaginative a user has been to use the fruit's powers?" Most of our Devil Fruit pages are underused to a great degree and really need some content to strengthen them so at least they would look like decent articles.Mugiwara Franky 05:20, 4 April 2007 (UTC)
- Apart from Robin, I didn't do any others... As far as I remember, Luffy's never had them nor did Chopper's. And Robin's was just templated. If you go back on the history of the page, you'll find them. Otherwise, following the templates + copy and paste them from there. One-Winged Hawk 08:39, 4 April 2007 (UTC)
Attacks page[edit source]
I've put it up for deletion. The info I've saved and I'm awaiting other editors response on the rest. I'm definitely thinking after approaching Usopp's attacks that all forms and battle style pages should be redirected and merged with their respective character pages. Devil Fruits leave be, but those two types would support the character pages better.
On a further note... Why were the forms and styles pages created anyway? I never understood this. Someone care to explain? I'm baffled. O.o' One-Winged Hawk 11:09, 2 April 2007 (UTC)
- Well I've thought about it... I think this may be the only way around the problem. I'll set this up later in the week or week after (its going to take some time to do). I'll add this then to the abilities section of the templates under "Attack lists". If anyone thinks this is a pants idea and should be toileted, speak up please. One-Winged Hawk 12:37, 7 April 2007 (UTC)
Yellow Data Book[edit source]
Well as we should all know by now its out. I've done all the page moving, but due to a headache caused by a HTTP error (took me 15 mins to move one page) I've had to stop. Anyone wants to check info the data starts from page 7 of this topic at Arlong Park: here
Th-th-th-th-th thats all folks! One-Winged Hawk 14:42, 2 April 2007 (UTC)