A pet is a domesticated animal that often accompanies a master.
Role and Abilities
A pet's primary purpose is to provide companionship to their master, taking the role of a friend, sidekick or someone to take care after. Pets that started in the wilderness might require prior taming before starting to be loyal and obedient, although forceful masters may cause the pet to develop an aggressive, fearful or indifferent attitude towards them (for example, Arlong coercing Momoo into fighting for him through threats). They might be intelligent enough to assist their owners with everyday tasks such as guarding property, giving rides if big enough to act as a steed or just serving as emotional support. A couple pets have also displayed enough sentience to imitate human mannerisms or even human speech, as in the case of Pappag, who's simultaneously Camie's pet and mentor.
Certain pets are adapted to combat and may be a powerful asset for those who employ them in battle, intimidating or directly attacking their opponents or supplying support as a mount or bodyguard. Surume, for example, is an enormous kraken who can easily destroy any ship or enemy group in its vicinity. Some pets were once normal objects that were granted sentiency through a Zoan Devil Fruit, allowing them to be wielded by their owners and act as living weapons.
Pets in pirate crews are often considered low-priority targets for the World Government, thus in the rare case a pet is issued a bounty, it's usually of an extremely low amount. This approach is highly flawed though, as capable, sentient fighters such as Tony Tony Chopper of the Straw Hat Pirates and Bepo of the Heart Pirates may be mistaken as pets due to their animal-like appearance, meaning their bounties might not reflect their true threat level.
- Crocodile owned a pack of Bananawani, which lived at the bottom of Rainbase Lake.
- Sengoku owns a pet goat that's almost always at his side.
- Charlos is mentioned to have an aquarium filled with piranhas.
- Most Kuja carry snakes that can morph into weapon-like shapes.
- Boa Marigold was introduced with a pet hawk at her side, which was unnamed in contrast to Salome and Bacura.
- Saldeath used to own a dog larger than him in his childhood. Sadi also owned a hamster that passed away at some point in her childhood.
- Doma, a subordinate Pirate Captain of the Whitebeard Pirates, fights alongside a pet monkey that is armed with a pistol.
- Blondie has a small lion over his tricorne.
- A member of the Red Hair Pirates has a monkey along with him.
- Coribou has a lizard along with him always over his head.
- Sora, the Warrior of the Sea, is mentioned to have a seagull as a sidekick.
- Some animals are known to be associated with certain characters or organizations, but their status as a pet is dubious due to them not having a specific owner. Notable examples are Monster with the Red Hair Pirates, Laboon with the Rumbar Pirates, and Balloon with Ann.
- Breed used his Peto Peto no Mi abilities to make the Sea Animal Pirates, Monkey D. Luffy, Trafalgar Law, and Caesar Clown his unwilling pets.
- Certain Homies such as Nitro and Rabiyan are very similar to pets in concept, having a master they follow, assist and take orders from, although, due to their nature as human souls inhabiting objects, they are technically sentient beings.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 1 Chapter 3 (p. 19) and Episode 2, Soro is seen in Rika's flashback.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 10 Chapter 82 (p. 9-12) and Episode 38, Momoo is intimidated by Arlong's subliminal threats.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 2 Chapter 12 (p. 12) and Episode 6, Hocker tells Chouchou to guard the pet food store in his absence.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 2 Chapter 12 (p. 4) and Episode 6, Mohji riding Richie.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 32 Chapter 296 (p. 10) and Episode 191, Su tries to comfort Conis.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 50 Chapter 491 (p. 4-6) and Episode 386, Pappag tells his story.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 2 Chapter 12 (p. 18-20) and Episode 6, Mohji orders Richie to attack Luffy.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 62 Chapter 604 (p. 16-19) and Episode 524, Surume debuts.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 20 Chapter 184 (p. 2-6) and Episode 113, Chopper explains Mr. 4's combo.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 45 Chapter 435 (p. 16-17) and Episode 320, Chopper receives a ridiculously low bounty.