Forty years ago, Rocks appeared as a tall man, but more normally proportioned than some of his huge (albeit not giant-sized) crewmates. His long, darkish hair was an unruly mass, with locks sticking out unevenly behind his head, in every direction. He had slanted eyes and seemingly tended to sport a wide, toothy smile. For clothes, Rocks appeared to don a high-collared sailor's coat with fringed epaulettes, plus a buttoned shoulder belt.
Based on stories of his exploits, Rocks appeared to be an incredibly vicious and ambitious man, having no care as to who he attacked as long as he could garner power for himself and leading his crew to destroy whomever interfered with his ambitions. He was also quite fearless and indiscriminately ruthless, as he had no issue with killing World Nobles or their slaves if it suited his wishes. Rocks' dream was to become the King of the World (世界の王 Sekai no Ō?), and he attacked many locations and left mass destruction in his wake to assert his dominance. He was also very curious about subjects that the World Government had kept hidden, resulting in him dabbling in those subjects.
Abilities and Powers
Although Rocks' individual strength and abilities are unknown, he was well-reputed for presiding over a crew of extremely powerful pirates with clashing personalities and a lack of camaraderie, indicating that he was an extremely powerful and charismatic individual and possibly the strongest person of his time. Many of these people would go on to make big names for themselves; Edward Newgate, Charlotte Linlin, and Kaido even became Emperors of the New World.
Xebec was considered to be the most formidable rival of the Pirate King, Gol D. Roger, even more so than his then-subordinate Whitebeard would come to be. He was so fearsome, it took both Roger and Monkey D. Garp working together to finally defeat him. Rocks' defeat was also what caused Garp to become a legend and to be known as the "Hero of the Marines", showing how much of a threat the World Government considered Rocks to be.
Kaido, who at some point came to be called the world's "Strongest Creature", seems to put Xebec in the same elite class with a very small number of other notable figures that actually possess the strength to stand against him in battle, such as Kozuki Oden, Shanks, Whitebeard, and Gol D. Roger, further hinting at Xebec's might.
Aside from raw strength, Rocks seemed to be a very intelligent and knowledgeable man, as he was, in studying many subjects that were considered taboo, able to unravel many of the World Government's secrets, which led the Government to decide to erase his name from history.
Over 40 years ago, Rocks and several other pirates arrived at the island of Hachinosu to meet and seek a path to fame and fortune. As a result of the meeting, Rocks took charge of this group, who called themselves the Rocks Pirates, and led them on a path of destruction with the goal of taking over the world.
38 years before the present, Rocks led his crew on a mission that endangered the World Nobles and their slaves. At God Valley, the Rocks Pirates were intercepted by Monkey D. Garp and Gol D. Roger, who had formed an alliance. A massive battle ensued, resulting in the dissolution of the crew. According to Sengoku, Rocks is no longer alive.
Many of Rocks' subordinates would go on to become extremely notable pirates, particularly Edward Newgate, Charlotte Linlin, and Kaido, who became three of the Four Emperors ruling over the New World. Shiki became an infamous pirate that clashed with the Roger Pirates multiple times and became the first inmate to escape Impel Down, and Captain John gathered a fabled treasure.
Rocks' place in history has been considerably diminished in the decades since his death, with many younger Marines being unaware of who he is. According to Sengoku, this lack of knowledge about him is mainly due to the World Government's intervention, as his path resulted in him dabbling in subjects they forbid. Additionally, due to the overall lack of camaraderie within the Rocks Pirates, most of Rocks' past subordinates are not inclined to talk about their time sailing with the crew.
Rocks' dream of taking over the world would be revived 38 years after his death, as his former subordinates Kaido and Linlin decided to put aside their enmity with each other and form a temporary alliance to conquer the world.
- The name of Rocks may have been taken from the real life pirate Roche Braziliano, which in English translates to "Rock the Brazilian" from his long exile in Brazil.
- A xebec was a type of Mediterranean sailing ship used for trading.
- Sterry believed that sitting on the Empty Throne would make one the "King of the World"; it is unknown if Rocks' desire of world domination involves the Throne.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 95 Chapter 957 (p. 5-12) and Episode 958, Sengoku goes over Rocks' history.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 90 Chapter 907 (p. 6) and Episode 887, Hina and Garp talk about Rocks.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 95 Chapter 957 (p. 11) and Episode 958, Sengoku notes how Rocks was Roger's first foe and perhaps his greatest.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 99 Chapter 1001 (p. 3), Kaido envisions Rocks, alongside other prominent figures, as those who in the past had been able to fight him.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 54 Chapter 530 (p. 5) and Episode 425.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 25 Chapter 233 (p. 8) and Episode 145.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 95 Chapter 954 (p. 15) and Episode 955.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 90 Chapter 907 (p. 8) and Episode 886, The Empty Throne is explained.